Ok, so there is basically Windows (American), MacOSX (American), Android (American), IOS (American) and Linux even though Android is Linux based. Everything else is obscure but I'm narrowing it down to these as I mean it in terms of a laptop (since tower PCs are dying in the market place) laptops will still be used by certain professionals as smartphones and tablets can't take their place for everything. So , I'm narrowing it down to Linux, Windows and Mac. Forget Windows and mac they are American. So Linux was started by a Finnish guy that now lives in America. He uses Fedora Linux which is owned by an American company based in North Carolina. The other two main ones are Ubuntu (owned by a South African billionaire) and OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE is made by a German company so OpenSUSE is the obvious winner. When it comes to Linux everything except Redhat enterprise, Fedora , Canonical Ubuntu and OpenSUSE is a joke e.g. arch linux and slackware etc...

So I am using the European operating system OpenSUSE Leap and it is a good compromise between stability and cutting edge software e.g. Debian stable versus Arch Linux or Fedora. It is also the best KDE plasma linux desktop available which is significant because many people hate the modified version of gnome desktop which ships with Ubuntu and gnome 3 just in general. You don't have to use KDE as you can choose other environments at install but that can be confusing for a newbie. openSUSE is slightly harder to use than Ubuntu so focused more on sysadmins, developers and techies but it is highly professional and ready for prime time : can easily replace Windows because it is backed by a mega-rich corporation(s) unlike some of the more pathetic amateurish smaller Linux distros.

Obligatory personal desktop screenshot :