Antarctica
    Politics
    Copernican Principle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,346
    Given: 1,328

2 Not allowed!

Default Genetic Divergence & Future of Civilization

I was wondering whether to put this here, "Weird and Paranormal" section, or somewhere else. So how many of you imagine things in (non-apocalypthic version of) future to occur as in the video below, and how much of the things from the videos do you think can happen? How much of it do you think its possible in say next 2-3 centuries?

I think no more than, say 20-30%. Apart from settling some other planets in our galaxy, some smaller space megastructures (can't see people building Dyson swarm, let alone Dyson sphere, but small to medium size O'Neill cylinder sounds doable), non-personalized AI (as in not owned by a household but maybe some huge coorporation or institutions, and they will be used in different forms from AI for ship controll, to humanoid looking robots for maintenance), and minor gene editing I really can't see things go that way. And again that's the best possible outcome I can imagine. Also I think larger eugenics/cyborg projects won't be allowed as it won't suit anyone, and even if it happens there is a chance for eruption of anti-eugenics rebellion and people will generally have disdain for such an individuals. I also think the control imposed by authorities will gradually rise and liberties will diminish, which is another reason why no such project can be plausible (at least not on general population, not disregarding it could happen on some small sample). As for why not space faring, I think people won't be able to create small enough energy storage to withhold large quantities of energy which is needed for any reasonable space travel and also I doubt there will ever be engine to support near speed-of-the-light travel, and given that no larger form of genetic editing will be allowed we won't move away from our galaxy. As for space dwellers, I think this is where one exception of gene editing where it might be allowed, as people will see as humane to help those that are dying or deforming due to life in space where there is greater exposure to radiation.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-23-2023 @ 10:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    Healthy human being
    Country
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,505
    Given: 1,507

0 Not allowed!

Offtopic: John Michael Godier and Event Horizon are also great channels about space-related stuff

Thread Information