Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 882

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    The Assyrians conducted forced deportations of hundreds of thousands Arameans into both Assyria and Babylonia (where a migrant population already existed).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramea...E2%80%93605_BC

This is often said to have caused Aramaic to become the most spoken language in Assyria.
    Assyrian deportations affected mainly the heartland(the area between modern day Mosul and Arbil basically), and most likely mostly Nineveh which was sacked and destroyed. Assyrians today probably descend from the smaller settlements around the plains of Northern Iraq.

Most of the deportees came btw from the south, probably Babylonians. Few came from the Aramean lands in the western part of the empire.

Roads and Mass Deportations in the Neo-Assyrian Empire (David Danzig 2011)

Whether Aramaic became the most spoken language as a result of deportations or something else isn't very important. I just mentioned that to show how they became a numerical majority. The point is they demographically overwhelmed the Assyrians in Assyria and this is what led to the language replacement.

So there's agreement that Aramaeans outnumbered Assyrians in Assyria? What happened to them after they outnumbered Assyrians? Did they assimilate into Assyrians or get killed off/deported out of Assyria? If they assimilated (after outnumbering Assyrians), this implies that Assyrians have more Aramean ancestry than ancient Assyrian ancestry.
    Where did they become a majority? In the Assyrian heartland? Ofc not. In Imperial Assyria overall? Myabe since the Neo-Assyrian empire conquered the Levant and beyond. But even then they were hardly in majority, considering at it's height Assyria included Babylon and Hittie areas, aswell as Egypt.

Last Online
    01-01-2021 @ 11:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 91

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Halgurd View Post
    It seems to me that it was just a label to describe Aramaic speaking Christians in Mesopotamia.
    I won't dispute that. Seems quite the case, but eitherway they definitely have some Akkadian and Sumerian heritage before the Aramaeans ever stepped foot on there, just like how other Iraqis also retain this heritage. I don't think an ethnic group should claim more native status than other ethnic groups in Iraq.

Last Online
    01-18-2024 @ 05:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    KRD
    Ancestry
    Karda | Kurtî | Kardox | Corduene | Kartawaye
    Country
    Saudi-Arabia
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,517
    Given: 913

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I won't dispute that. Seems quite the case, but eitherway they definitely have some Akkadian and Sumerian heritage before the Aramaeans ever stepped foot on there, just like how other Iraqis also retain this heritage. I don't think an ethnic group should claim more native status than other ethnic groups in Iraq.
    Yes this is exactly what I’ve been saying.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information