Thread: Hows Does The Aramaic Languages Of The Assyrians In The Levant Sounds Like to You?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

0 Not allowed!

Default Hows Does The Aramaic Languages Of The Assyrians In The Levant Sounds Like to You?

The Suryoye dialect of the Aramaic language sounds shockingly very similar to Levantine Arabic. I don't understand what they're saying, and yet, it sounds very close to the Arabic dialects of the Levant. I wonder if this is due to the Levantine Arabic dialects having Aramaic substrate and so on?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-11-2023 @ 03:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic Upper Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Kurdish
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1 (Mede => Parthian)
    mtDNA
    HV2a (Scythian)
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,095
    Given: 1,505

1 Not allowed!

I don't know about Levant Arabic but I can tell you one thing for certain some of it sounds very familiar to Kurdish and that is down to heavy influence on their language.

For example the word "Yode" or Yade means mother and is derived from local Kurdish dialects spoken in Mardin, Qamishlo and West Sirnak provinces, which itself is a abnormal variant of Daye (also meaning mother). Also they use "min" in allot of their song text which has the meaning "my or mine" and is also a loanword from Kurdish.
    Some other loanwords are "lo and le" which they also often use in their music and is too derived from Kurdish. Lo being a shortened version of Lawo/Lawko (meaning boy). The "ko" or shortened "o" and " Ke/e" are vocatives in Kurdish ko/o representing masculine and (k)e or (k)a representing feminine.

On the Levantine Arabic influx I think as you correctly pointed out it is down to a Aramaic substrata in the Levant Arabic. As ancient Levantines probably spoke Aramaic or languages closer to Aramaic than Arabic

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Demhat View Post
    I don't know about Levant Arabic but I can tell you one thing for certain some of it sounds very familiar to Kurdish and that is down to heavy influence on their language.

For example the word "Yode" or Yade means mother and is derived from local Kurdish dialects spoken in Mardin, Qamishlo and West Sirnak provinces, which itself is a abnormal variant of Daye (also meaning mother). Also they use "min" in allot of their song text which has the meaning "my or mine" and is also a loanword from Kurdish.
    Some other loanwords are "lo and le" which they also often use in their music and is too derived from Kurdish. Lo being a shortened version of Lawo/Lawko (meaning boy). The "ko" or shortened "o" and " Ke/e" are vocatives in Kurdish ko/o representing masculine and (k)e or (k)a representing feminine.

On the Levantine Arabic influx I think as you correctly pointed out it is down to a Aramaic substrata in the Levant Arabic. As ancient Levantines probably spoke Aramaic or languages closer to Aramaic than Arabic
    Yeah, but the overall dialect sounds very similar to Levantine Arabic which does makes me wonder on that.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 882

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Demhat View Post

What are you smoking?
    Min means "from, with" cognate with Arabic min with the same meaning. Lo and le both mean "no", cognate with Arabic la(a shifts to o in the Neo Aramaic dialects west of Tigris). The k you are hearing is used to differ subjunctive from indicative so shaqel means "he may take" but k-shaqel means "he takes". Arabic dialects in Northern Iraq and Southeastern Turkey use a similar indicative/subjunctive mood.

Insane how much wrong there can be in such a short comment.

Thread Information