Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iranian Turks (a racial, characteristic & cultural description)

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,703
    Given: 8,970

10 Not allowed!

Default Iranian Turks (a racial, characteristic & cultural description)

The Persian or Iranian Turks

"The Iranian Turks in the widest sense include those of Transcaucasia, who have, however, been grouped above as IV b, 4(p.200) because of their political position as inhabitants of Russian territory. Those of them that live in Persia proper are distributed in the following regions:
    1. Azarbaijan, from the Araxed southward along the frontier of Kurdistan past Urmia towards Kirmanshah. Here the Turks are most numerously represented, being pontiguous to their kinsmen in Transcaucasia, from whom they are politcally seperated. They thus form the chief seat of the Turkish element in Persia.
    2. Khamseh, the district between Azarbaijan and Tehran, especially in the neighbourhood of Zinjan.
    3. The district of Tehran, in the immediate neighbourhood of the capital and in the valleys of Damavand
    4. Kirman: in the district bordering on Fars
    5. Irak: in the neighbourhood of Hamadan
    6. Fars: where they wander between the borders of Isfahan and the sea coast
    7. Khorasan: where they are most numerous around Nishapour and Kuchan
    Race: Racially and linguistically the Turks of Persia differ little from one another. They are descended from the Turks who under Seljuk came from the north of the sea of Aral. That they are close akin to the Turkmens is shown by the fact that several of their tribes, such as the Khoja-ali and Begdilli in Karabagh, the Kara in Kirman, the Bayat around Nishapour, as well as the Kenger in Transcaucasia, are identical in name with corresponding tribes among the Turkmens of Russian Turkestan. Other tribes are known to be of Turkmen origin, though their names have disappeared from among Turkmens proper. Such are the Avshars, a very numerous tribe, near Urmia, who have become Shiites. Another such tribe are the Kajars, who formerly lived in the steppe bordering on Astarabad and are now scattered about in Persia; from them comes the present dynasty of Persia. Again, the Kashkai in Fars are known to have migrated to the south of Persia during the rule of the Il-Khans. Thus the Turks of Persia ethnically form a connecting link between the Turkmens proper and the Osmans.
    Each of the tribes has its own chieftain, who is appointed by the Shah. In former centuries the clans seem to have lived in compact masses, and to have been confined in particular localities; but at the present day neither is the case. Only the large and powerful tribes attach importance to their descent; while the small fragments are very much in the dark as to their origin. Tribes once forming numerous units are scattered across the wide extending from the Paromisus to the Kurdistan mountains and from the Caucasus to the Persian Gulf. Thus members of one and the same tribe may now be found in the Caucasus, in Khorasan, in Hamadan and in Kirman.
    The only exceptions are the following four tribes, which are less dispersed and partly occupy their old habitat.
    1. The Kajars
    2. The Shasevens
    3. The Kashkais and Allahverdis
    4. Karakoyunlus

Racial Characteristics:

The Turks of Persia have been mixed with various Aryan peoples – Caucasians, Kurds, Armenians, Iranians – as the result of the importation of male and female slaves, which went on for centuries. A distinctively Turkish type can therefore not be looked for among them; but a marked mixed type, the basis of which has left genuine Turkish physical traces, is noticeable as soon as Azarbaijanis are side by side with the relatively pure Persians of Shiraz. According to a close observer, the Iranian Turks compared with the Persians have a less oval skull, a broader and less expressive face, less arched brows, thicker eyelids, a shorter and broader nose, wider cheek-bones and chin, more fleshy lips, a taller and more massive and muscular figure. The description of the Turks of Transcaucasia given by another authority is similar. Vambery, who agrees with these account, adds that along the whole northern frontier of Persia the Turks in Azarbaijan and in Khorasan show far more traces of the national type than, for instances, the Kashkais in the south.
    It is natural that a considerable change in customs must have been undergone by a people who, seperated for more than eight centuries from the bulk of their kindred, have so long lived in the midst of old Persian culture, and been strongly influenced by the religious bias of the Shiite sect. Hence the Iranian Turk appears polite and refined compared with his congeners in the north-east and the west. But his native Turkish awkwardness and frankness is still apparent when he is contrasted with the Southern Persian. This difference is still observable among the townsmen of Tebriz, Tehran and Hamadan in spite of the immediate influence of these centres of Persian culture, while the population of the country districts shows still more evident traces of the Turkish national character, some of their customs being clearly reminiscent of those still prevailing among the Turkmens of the steppe.
    This similarity extends to various usages of family life, such as certain benedictions, which are almost identical, birth and wedding ceremonies, and particularly the laws of hospitality, which the Iranian Turk observes much more conscientiously than the Persian. The word of the Turk, too, is much more depended on than that of the Iranian. He is also decidedly superior in manly qualities. To these he owes his dominant position for centuries in Persia, where he represents the really warlike element, for the army of the Shah consists predominantly of Turks."
    To be continued…

(excuse possible typos. I typed it off from a digital slide of a book.)
    Last edited by Kyp; 05-04-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,890
    Given: 24,545

2 Not allowed!

Cool, but I wouldn't say that Caucasians and Armenians as "Aryans" since they're not ethnically Aryan or Indo-Iranian like Kurds and Persians. Caucasians don't speak a native Indo-European language while the Armenian language is in it's own branch of the Indo-European language family.
    Last edited by Kamal900; 05-05-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,745
    Given: 9,043

2 Not allowed!

When i read Begdili i was proud XD....

I dont know why many dislike iranian turks. They are known as defenders of iranian state and culture (shahseven= lover of shahs). Many think Turks came and destroyed many things, although many famous buildings were made by turkish rule. Denying presence of Turks in iran is denying iranian, like if a turk denies the highly iranian influenced turkish an turkic culture. When i would travell to iran or tadjikidtan, many thinks woulb be known and instead of some differences those places wouldnt be foreign. But even 300-500km towards east in turkey from hometown of my parents for me would be a different world for me.
    Basically anatolian turks are iranian turks too, culturally instead of some differences we dont differ from iranian turks.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    When i read Begdili i was proud XD....

I dont know why many dislike iranian turks. They are known as defenders of iranian state and culture (shahseven= lover of shahs). Many think Turks came and destroyed many things, although many famous buildings were made by turkish rule. Denying presence of Turks in iran is denying iranian, like if a turk denies the highly iranian influenced turkish an turkic culture. When i would travell to iran or tadjikidtan, many thinks woulb be known and instead of some differences those places wouldnt be foreign. But even 300-500km towards east in turkey from hometown of my parents for me would be a different world for me.
    Basically anatolian turks are iranian turks too, culturally instead of some differences we dont differ from iranian turks.
    agree my friend just look at this note from an Italian traveler during the Safavid era in Iran:

The Turkish language is spoken mostly then Persian language in Iran. Especially in the palace and beween the exwcutives. This doesnt shows that the Iranians give more value to this language. Rather it shows that most of the milittaries root or origin is Turkish qızılbash origined. The Shahs men that are from different nations spoke this language and didn’t know Persian language.Therefore, not only the superiors concerning the army but also the Shah also used this language to communicate with them and inform them his requests…

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp Snow View Post
    agree my friend just look at this note from an Italian traveler during the Safavid era in Iran:
    Also babürs, a turkic dynasty, highly irano-indo influenced, spoke inside royal family and military „turki“.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Iranian Turkic Groups:

a) Khorasan Turks: Afshar, Celayir, Chaghtay, Ecirlid, Geraylid, Karagozlu, Ghazakh, Kengerid, Timurtash and Ustachlu tribbles
    b) Turkmens: Northeastern Iran
    c) Ghashghay Turks:Southern Iran
    d) Afshar (Avshar) Turks: Urmia, Zanjan (Khamseh), Kuh-Giluye Afshars, Imamli Afshars, Aplu, Usalu/Osanlu, Eberlu etc.
    e) Khalaj Turks: The oldest Turkic group in Iran: South & Central Iran
    f) Qajar Turks: last Turkic rulers of Iran, Northwest Iran, Mazandaran
    g) Gharapapagh Turks: Northwest Iran
    h) Ebi Verdi Turks: Shiraz
    I) Kenger Turks: Around Teheran
    j) The Other Turkish Populations: Baharlu, Ghipchaghs, Eynallullu, Shahsevenler, Gharadaghlids, Bayaties, Kengelies, Karachorlu, Bochaghchies and Karayies

Source: https://www.academia.edu/5930762/TUR...d_way_concerni

Following clusters:

1. Northwest Turks (Azerbaijanis)
    2. Northeastern Turks Khorasan Turks & Turkmens
    3. South & Center Turks (Ghasghay, Khamseh, Isfahanian Turks..)

Last edited by Kyp; 05-06-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Dont forget the turkmens of Iran(İran Türkmenleri).

There are 3 theories about the term Turkmen:

1. from persian what means „like a turk“
    2. from Türk-(turk) and iman (believe) after become muslim
    3. from Türk-(turk) and men (I) what means „ I/Me, the Turk“

Or do you count them to horosan turks?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,890
    Given: 24,545

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp Snow View Post
    Iranian Turkic Groups:

a) Khorasan Turks: Afshar, Celayir, Chaghtay, Ecirlid, Geraylid, Karagozlu, Ghazakh, Kengerid, Timurtash and Ustachlu tribbles
    b) Turkmens: Northeastern Iran
    c) Ghashghay Turks:Southern Iran
    d) Afshar (Avshar) Turks: Urmia, Zanjan (Khamseh), Kuh-Giluye Afshars, Imamli Afshars, Aplu, Usalu/Osanlu and Eberlu
    e) Khalaj Turks: The oldest Turkic group in Iran: South & Central Iran
    f) Qajar Turks: last Turkic rulers of Iran, Northwest Iran, Mazandaran
    g) Gharapapagh Turks: Northwest Iran
    h) Ebi Verdi Turks: Shiraz
    I) Kenger Turks: Around Teheran
    j) The Other Turkish Populations: Baharlu, Ghipchaghs, Eynallullu, Shahsevenler, Gharadaghlids, Bayaties, Kengelies, Karachorlu, Bochaghchies and Karayies

Source: https://www.academia.edu/5930762/TUR...d_way_concerni

Following clusters:

1. Northwest Turks (Azerbaijanis)
    2. Khorasan Turks & Turkmens
    3. South & Center Turks (Ghasghay, Khamseh, Isfahanian Turks..)
    Turkic peoples of Iran are indeed the 2nd largest meta-ethnic group in Iran after the Iranian peoples like Persians, Luris, Kurds and so on.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Dont forget the turkmens of Iran(İran Türkmenleri).

There are 3 theories about the term Turkmen:

1. from persian what means „like a turk“
    2. from Türk-(turk) and iman (believe) after become muslim
    3. from Türk-(turk) and men (I) what means „ I/Me, the Turk“

Or do you count them to horosan turks?
    Are you just reffering to the Turkmens? They are usually seen as a seperate group from the "Torkouman". But sometimes they are grouped with other Khorasan Turks because of location. And they are part of the greater group of "Iranian Turks"

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

On migrations and seperation of Azerbaijanis:

The immigration of Turks was not only from Iran to Anatolia, also at that time immigrations from Anatolia to Iran was also actualized. According to the expression of Faruk Sümer, we can find the branches of the Anatolian oymaks in Iran. Abig amount of the Turkish populations that live in North Azerbaijan, South Azerbaijan and some other states in Iran is the formation of the imigrations that were made from Anatolian oymaks. Big ethnic changes has not happened in Iran starting from the time that the Safavids existed in the XVI sentury untill near time. The division of Azerbaijan to two parts was made in the Russian Iranian agreement that was made in 1828, The existance of the North azerbaijani part in the Russian hand and the South part in the Iranian hand devided the fate and destiny of the population in to two parts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information