Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why British ancestry is largest Euro ancestry in USA

Banned
    Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 05:04 AM
    In a remote province of the Planet of the Apes...
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,708
    Given: 8,357

2 Not allowed!

Default Why British ancestry is largest Euro ancestry in USA

So, in a previous thread I showed that a paper by Campbell Gibson proves that close to half of White American ancestry is colonial and that is overwhelmingly British(including Irish).https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...glish-ancestry
    It turns out that not only that, but even the largest body of European immigrants that entered the US were from the British Isles.
    Between 1820 and 1920 over 2,500,000 people emigrated from England to the United States. Only Germany (5,500,000), Ireland (4,400,000), Italy (4,190,000) and Austria-Hungary (3,700,000) contributed more people.
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEengland.htm
    By 1890 there were over 250,000 people born in Scotland living in the United States.
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAscotland.htm
    The Census of 1930 revealed there were 60,205 foreign-born Welsh in the United States. Pennsylvania had the largest number, with New York, Ohio, Illinois and Michigan also having having substantial Welsh communities.
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEwales.htm
    An investigation carried out in 1978 revealled that since 1820 over 4,723,000 people emigrated to the United States from Ireland. This amounted to 9.7 per cent of the total foreign immigration during this period
    .https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEireland.htm
    An investigation carried out in 1978 revealled that since 1820 over 6,978,000 people emigrated to the United States from Germany. This amounted to 14.3 per cent of the total foreign immigration during this period.
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEgermany.htm

So, even without counting the number of colonists that came over to the 13 colonies from the British Isles, we get well over 7 million British Isles immigrants after 1820 to more recent times and around 7 million immigrants from Germany in the same time span, but keep in mind that a significant number of immigrants from Germany were Poles and Jews, while another significant body of emigrants of British Isles ancestry came to the US from Canada and Australia, although it's true many ethnic Germans also came from Austria-Hungary, Russia and Switzerland.
    So, keeping in mind that all Ireland was a part of the UK until 1922, the UK is definitely the European country which sent over the largest number of European immigrants to the US, while adding the British colonial settlers and the immigrants of British stock from the dominions would surely give a larger number of people than the overall number of ethnic Germans that came to the USA since colonial times.
    Considering all of this, you have to be pretty naive, if not outright dumb, to think German or any other ancestry is more common in the USA. As a matter of fact, seeing as British Isles surnames are by far the most common in the US, any American not living in Wisconsin, Minnesota or North Dakota is pretty dumb to think German ancestry really is the largest in the US, just because it's the most widely self-reported in the US census.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

Not only that but you get Irish-German mixes , in the USA, which are not quite continental and Irish-German-English mixes which are basically newschool new world English people just like Italian-Irish mixes are similar to the French. Irish Catholics mixed with German Catholics who then sometimes mixed back into the English or Scottish lines etc...

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    Not only that but you get Irish-German mixes , in the USA, which are not quite continental and Irish-German-English mixes which are basically newschool new world English people just like Italian-Irish mixes are similar to the French. Irish Catholics mixed with German Catholics who then sometimes mixed back into the English or Scottish lines etc...
    Yes, I know that a large part or maybe a majority of Americans have mixed ancestry. My point was that the British Isles contributed the most to the Euro-American population.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheForeigner View Post
    Yes, I know that a large part or maybe a majority of Americans have mixed ancestry. My point was that the British Isles contributed the most to the Euro-American population.
    Yeah, I think you missed my point though. My point is that many of these mixes are basically the same that happened in Britain so are basically British. For instance, someone who is a mix of Irish/German/English is similar to the smelting of Celt and Saxon that happened in middle England and if the Celtic is particularly strong than maybe lowland Scotland.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Yeah, I think you missed my point though. My point is that many of these mixes are basically the same that happened in Britain so are basically British. For instance, someone who is a mix of Irish/German/English is similar to the smelting of Celt and Saxon that happened in middle England and if the Celtic is particularly strong than maybe lowland Scotland.
    True, the vast majority of Euro-American ancestry is from the British Isles and Teutonic Europe. You really get the same mix of Celts, continental Germanics and Norse that you have in the British Isles for the most part. French Canadians could be similar to the Normans too.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,027
    Given: 6,625

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheForeigner View Post
    So, in a previous thread I showed that a paper by Campbell Gibson proves that close to half of White American ancestry is colonial and that is overwhelmingly British(including Irish).https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...glish-ancestry
    It turns out that not only that, but even the largest body of European immigrants that entered the US were from the British Isles.
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEengland.htm
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAscotland.htm
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEwales.htm
    .https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEireland.htm
    https://spartacus-educational.com/USAEgermany.htm

So, even without counting the number of colonists that came over to the 13 colonies from the British Isles, we get well over 7 million British Isles immigrants after 1820 to more recent times and around 7 million immigrants from Germany in the same time span, but keep in mind that a significant number of immigrants from Germany were Poles and Jews, while another significant body of emigrants of British Isles ancestry came to the US from Canada and Australia, although it's true many ethnic Germans also came from Austria-Hungary, Russia and Switzerland.
    So, keeping in mind that all Ireland was a part of the UK until 1922, the UK is definitely the European country which sent over the largest number of European immigrants to the US, while adding the British colonial settlers and the immigrants of British stock from the dominions would surely give a larger number of people than the overall number of ethnic Germans that came to the USA since colonial times.
    Considering all of this, you have to be pretty naive, if not outright dumb, to think German or any other ancestry is more common in the USA. As a matter of fact, seeing as British Isles surnames are by far the most common in the US, any American not living in Wisconsin, Minnesota or North Dakota is pretty dumb to think German ancestry really is the largest in the US, just because it's the most widely self-reported in the US census.
    Americans are ignorant as fuck and they're proud of it, if they want to think they're mostly German so be it. It always just irritated me that they could be so retarded to think that despite British names dominating for whites in nearly every state and the basic demographic history of the country. See them also regularly saying the South is mostly Scotch-Irish, despite English names being easily most common.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    Americans are ignorant as fuck and they're proud of it, if they want to think they're mostly German so be it. It always just irritated me that they could be so retarded to think that despite British names dominating for whites in nearly every state and the basic demographic history of the country. See them also regularly saying the South is mostly Scotch-Irish, despite English names being easily most common.
    My name is Hiberno-Norman but there is a historical famous Anglo-Irish (Anglo-Irish means he wasn't really 'Irish' ethnically) British statesman with the same last name.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

My name is Hiberno-Norman but there is a historical famous Anglo-Irish (Anglo-Irish means he wasn't really 'Irish' ethnically) British statesman with the same last name.
    Your name is Irish, full stop. Nobody in Normandy has that name.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    Your name is Irish, full stop. Nobody in Normandy has that name.
    Broham, I said it was Hiberno-Norman I never said it was 'Norman' there is a difference. Edmund Burke was a famous British statesman and genius who wrote a famous eloquent tract against the French Revolution. Anyway, so Burke in Ireland would be DeBurgh in England and De Burca in Normandy France. That is my last name : Burke aka Deburgh aka De Burca. Anyway, having a Norman last name in England is high class.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Broham, I said it was Hiberno-Norman I never said it was 'Norman' there is a difference. Edmund Burke was a famous British statesman and genius who wrote a famous eloquent tract against the French Revolution. Anyway, so Burke in Ireland would be DeBurgh in England and De Burca in Normandy France. That is my last name : Burke aka Deburgh aka De Burca. Anyway, having a Norman last name in England is high class.
    Not to me it's not. Just like any other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information