Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do Spainards differ from Portuguese in terms of behaviour?

I was blind but now I see
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-10-2024 @ 03:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,666
    Given: 5,623

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    What’s the difference between those two?

Jose Mourinho is one really funny guy, he behaves like Balkanite, is it normal for a Portuguese to behave like him? Kinda friendly, seems serious, hard blooded, good to hangout with? I know he probably isn’t the best represtative of basic PT behaviour.
    His behaviour is not normal, he is known for being arrogant, cocky and provocative but perhaps that is the personae he has created...Cristiano Ronaldo is another atypical character, they are both egomaniacs so they can not be taken as examples for the "normal" population.

Last Online
    03-08-2024 @ 02:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 5

7 Not allowed!

Overall, the similarities are much more significant than the differences, however these are just some of the generalizations that I have observed. Spaniards seem louder and more extroverted as mentioned earlier, as they are not afraid of appearing "too loud" in public. Older Portuguese people often try to speak softly when in public. The Spaniards are also more willing to fight for a cause, meaning you will see larger scale protests against the government. The Portuguese are more fatalistic and seem to accept bad luck as fate or destiny, as they did during the austerity period.

Also, the Spanish seem much more optimistic overall, whereas no matter how good things are a Portuguese person will always find something wrong. The Spaniards also seem less overly formal and polite, being more straightforward and to the point. In Portugal, titles are very important for instance "senhor doutor" etc. In business meetings, people also seem to have an aversion to talking about money and will make lots of small talk and "beat around the bush" before discussing prices etc.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,924
    Given: 7,446

1 Not allowed!

The difference between them is probably similar to the internal differences among Spaniards. I don't think Galicians, Catalans, Castilians, Asturians, etc. are all the same. They are probably as different from one another as the average Spaniard is from the average Portuguese.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Spaniards as a whole have similar behavioral patterns that separates them from the Portuguese.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Viriatus91 View Post
    Overall, the similarities are much more significant than the differences, however these are just some of the generalizations that I have observed. Spaniards seem louder and more extroverted as mentioned earlier, as they are not afraid of appearing "too loud" in public. Older Portuguese people often try to speak softly when in public. The Spaniards are also more willing to fight for a cause, meaning you will see larger scale protests against the government. The Portuguese are more fatalistic and seem to accept bad luck as fate or destiny, as they did during the austerity period.

Also, the Spanish seem much more optimistic overall, whereas no matter how good things are a Portuguese person will always find something wrong. The Spaniards also seem less overly formal and polite, being more straightforward and to the point. In Portugal, titles are very important for instance "senhor doutor" etc. In business meetings, people also seem to have an aversion to talking about money and will make lots of small talk and "beat around the bush" before discussing prices etc.
    All what you have quoted about Spaniards is true, except that we dont use the terms señor, doctor, don, etc. We do it and a lot.

Last Online
    03-08-2024 @ 02:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 5

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    All what you have quoted about Spaniards is true, except that we dont use the terms señor, doctor, don, etc. We do it and a lot.
    In Portugal they use it for anyone with a university degree, or "senhor engenheiro", even school teachers were "senhora doutora", and always addressed in the third-person.

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

0 Not allowed!

In Portugal they use it for anyone with a university degree, or "senhor engenheiro", even school teachers were "senhora doutora", and always addressed in the third-person.
    I think that was worse before and the newer generations aren't adopting it as much. For examples, old school politicians use "Dr" a lot more than younger politicians.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Here we abuse, everyone has a title, seems like we are the monarchy instead of Spain. Getting better, newer generations are more informal and aware it is ridiculous because people abroad are much more pratical about it.

Also Spaniards adress to each other using much more the second person "tu" even when they don't know each other while in Portugal is considered very impolite to use it without the other person consent.

From my generation on is much more common to adress the parents by "tu" but the generation of my mother it was very rare.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianus Rex View Post
    Here we abuse, everyone has a title, seems like we are the monarchy instead of Spain. Getting better, newer generations are more informal and aware it is ridiculous because people abroad are much more pratical about it.

Also Spaniards adress to each other using much more the second person "tu" even when they don't know each other while in Portugal is considered very impolite to use it without the other person consent.

From my generation on is much more common to adress the parents by "tu" but the generation of my mother it was very rare.
    My parents still speak to my grandparents "de usted" (Me myself to my grandpas call "de tú").
    In the villages, in the rural Spain, people still do.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,622
    Given: 21,626

1 Not allowed!

Basically I agree with what Viriatus said.They are some differences among different regions but practically more or less is what he said.

We generally have less attachment to social status conventionalisms as Viriatus said.

A good example is that we "tuteamos" teachers, even in the university.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Way of eating is different, in Spain people like to eat more varied of smaller portions and share the plates, that's why there is a huge tapas culture. In Portugal we emphasise more the main dish (usually a big portion) and desserts, often skipping starters.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information