Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Who looks more Western European, Brits or Iberians?

Banned
    Last Online
    05-29-2020 @ 01:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/1
    Given: 2/4

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Robbie Williams is the first person who comes to my mind when I think of a typical 'pan-Western Euro' look btw:

Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R-Z93
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Hero
    Greta Thunberg
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5,875/129
    Given: 6,156/63

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSkywalker View Post
    I just find it weird how people in the US associate Western Europe or "White" people in general with Northern looks.
    Most Americans don't even know that the look they call "Hispanic" actually originated in Iberia and therefore in Western Europe (ignoring the Amerindian influence).
    People do the same with Eastern Europe. Greece is geographically in Eastern Europe as well, but people mainly associate the word with more northern East Euro countries like Russia and Poland. Even the Balkans as a whole is excluded from East Europe sometimes.

In USA, I'd say the terms Southern Europe and Northern Europe are used for more often for most Euro-Med countries and the Nordics (as opposed to Western Europe). Western Europe is used for the West Euro countries in the middle of the Nordics and Euro-Med countries like France, Benelux, and Germany. Even Northern Europe/Northwestern Europe is sometimes considered its own thing separate from Western Europe.

The word "Hispanic" is used because Latinos are a large minority in USA and that's the word they're called.

The first association with the word "Western Europe" are non-southern countries in WE, so that's why Spain isn't often included in it. Its like how Spanish people think all Asians are Mongoloids even though Iranians and Arabians are also Asians. Spanish people also exclude Russia, Poland and the Baltics from Northern Europe even though they're geographically in Northern Europe.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Español
    Ancestry
    Andalucía
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    E-V22-E-BY7566-YF66572
    mtDNA
    J1c5c1
    Religion
    Católico
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,399/3
    Given: 857/9

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well, we Spaniards are and tread in Western Europe.

Well, Spain is in Western Europe.

Thanks to our colleagues from the U.E. but on Europe it seems that the whole world decides and from other continents what Europe is and what it should be, but finally the one who lives in Europe and the one who pays the taxes and votes in Europe is me, if to speak already of all the relations of Iberia with the rest of European countries since the night of the times or is it that the Iberians have landed in Iberia by parachute from another planet.

This is intolerable.

I have a car almemán with a few years already but the next car that I bought will be Japanese and I will try to buy all the technology and others from the Orientals.

If everyone is putting a fence around Europe and deciding that they should be the ones to buy European products and also come to vote here in Europe because this Iberian, after seeing what he is seeing, has become quite negative about Europe.

Retired Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-05-2020 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14,113/67
    Given: 15,927/18

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallop View Post
    Well, we Spaniards are and tread in Western Europe.

Well, Spain is in Western Europe.

Thanks to our colleagues from the U.E. but on Europe it seems that the whole world decides and from other continents what Europe is and what it should be, but finally the one who lives in Europe and the one who pays the taxes and votes in Europe is me, if to speak already of all the relations of Iberia with the rest of European countries since the night of the times or is it that the Iberians have landed in Iberia by parachute from another planet.

This is intolerable.

I have a car almemán with a few years already but the next car that I bought will be Japanese and I will try to buy all the technology and others from the Orientals.

If everyone is putting a fence around Europe and deciding that they should be the ones to buy European products and also come to vote here in Europe because this Iberian, after seeing what he is seeing, has become quite negative about Europe.
    I wouldn't worry about it personally. Irish are called "Insular" Celts after all. Not sure exactly what you are referring to here. Personally I like the differences between Europeans but Spanish appear to want to be considered the same as other populations. That's my perception anyway and it doesn't mean that everyone has the same opinion about this. It might seem odd to some people but I quite like that I'm part of a peripheral population. I also somewhat like that I might be a bit drifted genetically (although that might be some wishful thinking on my part). I personally don't and wouldn't care if people said Ireland wasn't part of Western Europe for instance. I quite like that Ireland, along with Portugal and Iceland are the only European countries that are fully in the Western Hemisphere for instance.

I think Spanish though feel that they are an important country in Europe and might not like to be thought of as anything other than core European. Well that's the impression I get on here because I really don't know many Spanish people IRL. This might not be the case for all Spaniards though. Spain definitely has a great history of course and it is a very well known country worldwide. What is it you find intolerable though?
    Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 05-29-2020 at 10:27 AM.

The Morrigan (also Mórrigan or Morrigu) is one of the most mysterious figures in Irish mythology.
    The name Morrigan means 'phantom queen' (or 'great queen') and describes a Goddess from old Ireland that was very associated with war, destiny, fate and death.
    She was a shape-shifter and frequently appeared as a black crow, an ominous sign for those who saw her prior to battle. Legend has it that the Morrigan was in fact a triad of sisters, often named as Badb, Macha and Nemain, while the Morrigan is also remembered as the triad of the land Goddesses Ériu, Banba and Fódla.

http://www.ireland-information.com/i...sh-legend.html

Banned
    Last Online
    05-29-2020 @ 01:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/1
    Given: 2/4

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Spain definitely has a great history of course
    Well, I wouldn't consider the genocide of indigenous Latin American people "great", for example.
    But nearly every country has a violent history, of course.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Español
    Ancestry
    Andalucía
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    E-V22-E-BY7566-YF66572
    mtDNA
    J1c5c1
    Religion
    Católico
    Thumbs Up/Down

I wouldn't worry about it personally. Irish are called "Insular" Celts after all. Not sure exactly what you are referring to here. Personally I like the differences between Europeans but Spanish appear to want to be considered the same as other populations. That's my perception anyway and it doesn't mean that everyone has the same opinion about this. It might seen odd to some people but I quite like that I'm part of a peripheral population. I also somewhat like that I might be a bit drifted genetically (although that might be some wishful thinking on my part). I personally don't and wouldn't care if people said Ireland wasn't part of Western Europe for instance. I quite like that Ireland, along with Portugal and Iceland are the only European countries that are fully in the Western Hemisphere for instance.

I think Spanish though feel that they are an important country in Europe and might not like to be thought of as anything other than core European. Well that's the impression I get on here because I really don't know many Spanish people IRL. This might not be the case for all Spaniards though. Spain definitely has a great history of course and it is a very well known country worldwide. What is it you find intolerable though?
    There are forums where not a single Spanish remains.

That is why I say that those who are more European than the Iberians and live in other continents who come to pay taxes here in the European elections decide what Europe is and should be, and that they are the ones who buy European products and so everyone is happy. .

I am not saying this for you and many others, but it seems that Spain, due to its peculiarities, is just the articulation that seems to suit all this negative external current.

I am not talking about you of course or many others who seem very sensible.

The amount of negative threads towards Spain is brutal and the Spanish do not affect me personally, nor does the air of superiority of some Europeans since that does not work with the Spanish, they should not know us very well.

I, as far as I can see, there are extra-European interferences and currents whose objective is to undermine the idea of ​​Europe and Spain seems to them the perfect articulation to cover different anti-European expectations in the background.

In agreement that it is a simple forum but at present the internet is a great means of communication and opinion is created I am not going to underestimate it.

For this reason, if everyone here is more European than the Iberians, there is no problem that they come from their continents to pay taxes to Europe at the European elections and buy all European products because this Iberian the next car will be Japanese.

Retired Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSkywalker View Post
    Well, I wouldn't consider the genocide of indigenous Latin American people "great", for example.
    But nearly every country has a violent history, of course.
    Every country that has been a colonial power though has the same baggage. If you were a colonial power you would have done some awful things to achieve that power. Some people don't want to face this and then some people just don't care. Spain was a undoubted European power in her glory days and has a very rich and interesting history. Everyone knows Spain but there are a lot of countries in Europe that people haven't a clue about. I personally no very little about some European countries' history but I do know all the countries in Europe at least. I think that is not common though in my experience. I'm sometimes surprised about how little some people know.

The Morrigan (also Mórrigan or Morrigu) is one of the most mysterious figures in Irish mythology.
    The name Morrigan means 'phantom queen' (or 'great queen') and describes a Goddess from old Ireland that was very associated with war, destiny, fate and death.
    She was a shape-shifter and frequently appeared as a black crow, an ominous sign for those who saw her prior to battle. Legend has it that the Morrigan was in fact a triad of sisters, often named as Badb, Macha and Nemain, while the Morrigan is also remembered as the triad of the land Goddesses Ériu, Banba and Fódla.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Español
    Ancestry
    Andalucía
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    E-V22-E-BY7566-YF66572
    mtDNA
    J1c5c1
    Religion
    Católico
    Thumbs Up/Down

I wouldn't worry about it personally. Irish are called "Insular" Celts after all. Not sure exactly what you are referring to here. Personally I like the differences between Europeans but Spanish appear to want to be considered the same as other populations. That's my perception anyway and it doesn't mean that everyone has the same opinion about this. It might seen odd to some people but I quite like that I'm part of a peripheral population. I also somewhat like that I might be a bit drifted genetically (although that might be some wishful thinking on my part). I personally don't and wouldn't care if people said Ireland wasn't part of Western Europe for instance. I quite like that Ireland, along with Portugal and Iceland are the only European countries that are fully in the Western Hemisphere for instance.

That is why I say that those who are more European than the Iberians and live in other continents who come to pay taxes here in the European elections decide what Europe is and should be, and that they are the ones who buy European products and so everyone is happy. .

I am not saying this for you and many others, but it seems that Spain, due to its peculiarities, is just the articulation that seems to suit all this negative external current.

The amount of negative threads towards Spain is brutal and the Spanish do not affect me personally, nor does the air of superiority of some Europeans since that does not work with the Spanish, they should not know us very well.

I, as far as I can see, there are extra-European interferences and currents whose objective is to undermine the idea of ​​Europe and Spain seems to them the perfect articulation to cover different anti-European expectations in the background.

In agreement that it is a simple forum but at present the internet is a great means of communication and opinion is created I am not going to underestimate it.

For this reason, if everyone here is more European than the Iberians, there is no problem that they come from their continents to pay taxes to Europe at the European elections and buy all European products because this Iberian the next car will be Japanese.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British isles
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland and Wales.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Somerset
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 265/0
    Given: 297/0

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoEuropean View Post
    You can find tons of British Alpines: She is from the state I live in, her ancestry is from the Midlands. Male British alpines always look funny, they aren't as gracile as continental alpines except in Ireland.

No way is this lady typical, if I saw her here I would assume she was American or a tourist, looks mixed anyway

Retired Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Gallop View Post

There are a huge amount of threads here about Spain but unfortunately there are some very trollish posters on here. It makes everyone a bit sensitive whether some people are trolling or genuine. I don't think anyone would say the Spanish aren't European. That's really just complete bull shit and everyone knows this. Spain is definitely an important European country in history. As I've said some countries are very unknown by most people and not really greatly interesting for a lot of people. You can't say that about Spain though. I'm really interested in any genetic study coming out about Spain, France, Italy, Germany etc. Some countries I wouldn't be that interested in though. In fact I need to go look at that new French study and comment on the thread posted on here about it. I just haven't read it yet. I have been reading some blogs and forums on it though as I'm very interested. Anyway I can understand why some Spanish would be annoyed with some of the threads because some of them are very trollish.

I'd be more interested in genuine discussion from people who has a sincere interest and just want to understand more about populations. I don't think saying populations are different is a bad thing though. As I said I do want some things to be unique. It is a problem on here that there are so many trollish threads it sort of spoils open discussion and some people might be a bit defensive because of this. There has been negative things said about every population on here.

Japanese cars are the best. I always buy Toyota for instance. Car runs forever.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information