Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: In Latin America, would you say there is shame in having native american ancestry?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2024 @ 09:55 PM
    The Americas -> North America -> Hispanic America -> Mexico -> Western Mexico
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanoamericano Virreinal (1000% mexican! Born, raised and living in Mexico)
    Ethnicity
    60.73-65.1% European/MENA, 33-35.81% Indigenous American and 2-3.45% SSA
    Ancestry
    Spain, Mesoamerica, Western and Central Africa
    Country
    Mexico
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1b -> L19 -> M81 -> M183 -> PF2477 -> PF2546
    mtDNA
    Unknown
    Taxonomy
    Castizo: Alpinized Gracile Med and slightly Baskid + Minor Margid
    Politics
    Meritocracy, "Git Gud" and Ius Soli
    Hero
    Cristóbal de Ońate, Reina Isabel la Católica, Tzilacatzin, Porfirio Díaz and Dr. Iosif Lazaridis
    Religion
    Agnosticism (Culturally Roman Catholicism)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,503
    Given: 10,131

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by axel.aleman View Post
    Claro si tengo gusto por ellas en parte porque mi madre parece Indomestiza sin serlo
    Como decimos: "Ahuevo, pues ya chingaste"

Terminando todo ésto de la cuarentena vas a ver que habrá un montón de chicas disponibles jaja para que les llegues y cumplas ese sueńo de tener hijos de sangre más nativa bro

Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    70% European (Pred. Iberian, 1/16 Italian), 13% Native American, 12% SSA, and 5% MENA
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    "Castizo": Alpinid + Med + Minor Amazonid
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Peter Parker, Luke Skywalker, MLK
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,842
    Given: 5,096

1 Not allowed!

In my experience it has been something that has been embraced in all my circles, both in family and friends, I treasure it a lot, and makes me extremely proud to be Mayan, Amazonian and Tarahumara!, I honestly didn't know people were ever ashamed of it, till like a year ago after I did my DNA test and started getting into dna communities like 23andMe and stuff related to that, and saw some post where people didn't like it, and fully realized some people didn't like it when I got into this forum and met people like Zuh.

In real life people in Mexico are mostly about classism than Racism, is not so much about your appearance but how much money u have, but there is still a degree of Racism since usually having money or being rich here is associated with Harnizos-Castizos, Gueros or Criollos, for example, one of my bestfriends is phenotipically Indo-Mestizo, we were getting into a club in Mexico City and and we were all able to get in except him, when we realized they were't letting him in, I asked the bouncer why if he comes with us and he said "he didn't fit the profile", we had to leave and go somewhere else, one of the most upsetting scenarios I've seen personally, we Obviously didn't tell him the real reason we left since is dumb and stupid and inecessary. Some clubs do this for some reason, my groups of friends we are all mestizos any ways, It's one Castizo, two leaning Harnizo Mestizos, one Indo Mestizo and Me even though I am sure I am the only one with significant Black blood since I am originally from Venezuela and all my friends are Mexican since I live in Mexico.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-28-2024 @ 11:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Proto-Mammalian
    Ethnicity
    Therapsid
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,347
    Given: 369

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixdguy17 View Post
    In my experience it has been something that has been embraced in all my circles, both in family and friends, I treasure it a lot, and makes me extremely proud to be Mayan!, I honestly didn't know people were ever ashamed of it, till like a year ago after I did my DNA test and started getting into dna communities like 23andMe and stuff related to that, and saw some post where people didn't like it, and fully realized some people didn't like it when I got into this forum and met people like Zuh. In real life people in Mexico are mostly classism than Racism, is not so much about your appearance but how much money u have, but there is still a degree of Racism since usually having money or being rich here is associated with white people, for example, one of my bestfriends is phenotipically Indo-Mestizo, we were getting into a club in Mexico City and and we were all able to get in except him, when we realized they were't letting him in, I asked the bouncer why if he comes with us and he said "he didn't fit the profile", we had to leave and go somewhere else, one of the most upsetting scenarios I've seen personally, we Obviously didn't tell him the real reason we left since is dumb and stupid and inecessary. Some clubs do this for some reason, my groups of friends we are all mestizos any ways, It's one Castizo, two leaning Harnizo Mestizos, one Indo Mestizo and Me even do I am sure I am the only one with significant Black blood since I am originally from Venezuela and all my friends are Mexican since I live in Mexico.
    I heard stories of clubs not letting in Native looking guys in LATAM, I am surprised someone here actually experienced that first hand. They only do that to Native folks and not blacks right?

Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    70% European (Pred. Iberian, 1/16 Italian), 13% Native American, 12% SSA, and 5% MENA
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    "Castizo": Alpinid + Med + Minor Amazonid
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Peter Parker, Luke Skywalker, MLK
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,842
    Given: 5,096

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsid View Post
    I heard stories of clubs not letting in Native looking guys in LATAM, I am surprised someone here actually experienced that first hand. They only do that to Native folks and not blacks right?
    Yeah only pred. Native looking people, Black people are seen as exotic and usually perceived as foreign, probably as an American Tourist, so I've never seen prejudice against them. Is really messed up tbh, I think It's related to the Classism that there is in Mexico.
    Last edited by Mixdguy17; 05-31-2020 at 02:18 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Mexican American
    Ancestry
    Mostly Iberian and Amerindian/ 3% to 2% Scottish Miniscule African
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Nevada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,631
    Given: 3,857

0 Not allowed!

Among the mexican american community I see no shame in having amerindian blood. Since I have family in mexico I could give a bit of insight in this. I never heard any of my Mexican family being ashamed of having amerindian ancestry. I notice that the people in mexico are proud of their native american blood. Mexico is also has a popular nickname of "el país azteca" it translates to " the Aztec Nation". Although Aztec ancestry is small compared to the other indigenous groups.

Andid999
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Uruguayan
    Ancestry
    56% North Italy, 12% Spain, 12% Basque, 12% Lebanon, 6% France, 1% Native American
    Country
    Uruguay
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Taxonomy
    Alpine med
    Politics
    Centre-left
    Religion
    Agnostic - culturally Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,068
    Given: 6,412

2 Not allowed!

I think in most of Latin America it is seen as a shame. But in Uruguay is quite the opposite, people is very proud of the natives that once inhabitated this lands, even though they were exterminated by the colonials, causing Uruguayans to have low percentages or even nonexistant native blood today.

In despite of being the country with less native imput, we proudly call ourselves "Charruas" and reivindicate their fight.

Daven

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsid View Post
    Its seems in Dominica, people like being associated with Tainos but in some parts of S. America, there is shame
    The name of the country is Dominican Republic. Dominica is a totally different place.

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverKnight View Post
    I suggest fixing up you miserable life and stop looking down at your own culture. This is really pathetic and immature dude, grow the hell up. You're going back to jail again.
    Who is that? Did he really went to jail in the past?

Last Online
    01-22-2021 @ 08:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Colonial Brazilian (Portuguese, minor Dutch and Amerindian), SSA, Amerindian and minor French
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Med+Amerindian and SSA
    Politics
    Left liberalism
    Religion
    Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 40

1 Not allowed!

I don't think many Brazilians see shame in having Amerindian blood; I have even heard Brazilians telling stories similar to "my white/European great-great-grandfather kidnapped my Indian great-great-grandmother from an Indian tribe".

The Brazilian traditional elites normally claimed ancestry from three Indigenous women:

Maria do Arcoverde "married" to Portuguese fidalgo Jerônimo de Albuquerque;

Bartira (or Isabel Dias) married to Portuguese explorer Joăo Ramalho;

Catarina Paraguaçu married to Portuguese settler Diogo Álvares Correia.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-28-2024 @ 11:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Proto-Mammalian
    Ethnicity
    Therapsid
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,347
    Given: 369

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixdguy17 View Post
    Yeah only pred. Native looking people, Black people are seen as exotic and usually perceived as foreign, probably as an American Tourist, so I've never seen prejudice against them. Is really messed up tbh, I think It's related to the Classism that there is in Mexico.
    What was the phenotype of the bouncer?

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information