Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: In Latin America, would you say there is shame in having native american ancestry?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-28-2024 @ 11:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Proto-Mammalian
    Ethnicity
    Therapsid
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,347
    Given: 369

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    I'm around 6-7% Amerindian (6% according to 23andme and 7% according to Ancestry DNA). Since my Venezuelan dad is from Barinas state (in the western half of Venezuela) is very likely that most of my Amerindian background could be Arawak, but I can only speculate about it. In any case I'm very proud of my Amerindian mixture
    The Caribbean people?

Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,496
    Given: 36,937

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsid View Post
    The Caribbean people?
    The three main Amerindian families in Venezuela are Caribbean, Arawaks and Timoto Cuicas. Timoto-Cuicas were in the Venezuelan Andes.

Arawaks occupied most of the rest of the country since very long time (even before Christ), but several centuries before the Spaniards arrival, Caribs entered today's Venezuelan territory coming from Brazil, and they gradually displaced Arawaks by pushing them to the west. That's why today there is more Arawak ancestry in the western parts of Venezuela and more Caribbean ancestry in the eastern parts, even though there are exceptions of some Arawak speaking Amerindians in eastern parts of Venezuela, and some Carib speaking Amerindians in Western Venezuela (like the Motilones in the Sierra de Perija, bordering Colombia), but the tendency/general rule is more predominance of Arawak background in the western parts of Venezuela and more Carib background in the eastern parts of Venezuela.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Colonial
    Country
    Venezuela
    Region
    Alberta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 472
    Given: 218

2 Not allowed!

Most people in South America are mixed, so they don't really look like Native Americans. We are talking about 430 million people, the majority of whom are more than 50% European. According to censuses and surveys, most South Americans simply consider themselves mixed or white because they don't have prominent native features. There is no real shame in being Native American, because most people live their lives without knowing they have a significant Amerindian ancestry. They see themselves as Colombians, Venezuelans, Brazilians or Argentinians, etc -- not much else.

Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022
    Given: 2,705

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    The three main Amerindian families in Venezuela are Caribbean, Arawaks and Timoto Cuicas. Timoto-Cuicas were in the Venezuelan Andes.

Arawaks occupied most of the rest of the country since very long time (even before Christ), but several centuries before the Spaniards arrival, Caribs entered today's Venezuelan territory coming from Brazil, and they gradually displaced Arawaks by pushing them to the west. That's why today there is more Arawak ancestry in the western parts of Venezuela and more Caribbean ancestry in the eastern parts, even though there are exceptions of some Arawak speaking Amerindians in eastern parts of Venezuela, and some Carib speaking Amerindians in Western Venezuela (like the Motilones in the Sierra de Perija, bordering Colombia), but the tendency/general rule is more predominance of Arawak background in the western parts of Venezuela and more Carib background in the eastern parts of Venezuela.
    Motilones speak Bari, a language of the Chibchan branch.

Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022
    Given: 2,705

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelju View Post
    Most people in South America are mixed, so they don't really look like Native Americans. We are talking about 430 million people, the majority of whom are more than 50% European. According to censuses and surveys, most South Americans simply consider themselves mixed or white because they don't have prominent native features. There is no real shame in being Native American, because most people live their lives without knowing they have a significant Amerindian ancestry. They see themselves as Colombians, Venezuelans, Brazilians or Argentinians, etc -- not much else.
    Well, this makes sense to me, too and this becomes more evident in a cultural sense, not many Latin Americans have Native American traditions as part of their everyday life.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,496
    Given: 36,937

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by samario View Post
    Motilones speak Bari, a language of the Chibchan branch.
    I didn't know that, my bad.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

kratz

0 Not allowed!

More than shame. I feel some Latinoamericanos have "white worship." They want to be seen as white or associate with whiteness because of status, power and influence. Also the colonial legacy where being more white is seen as being more "civilized."

The white worship and the ameridian shaming go hand in hand. I bet that in the same club where an ameridian looking person is denied access random gringo can get in.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    70% European (Pred. Iberian, 1/16 Italian), 13% Native American, 12% SSA, and 5% MENA
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    "Castizo": Alpinid + Med + Minor Amazonid
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Peter Parker, Luke Skywalker, MLK
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,844
    Given: 5,100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kratz View Post
    More than shame. I feel some Latinoamericanos have "white worship." They want to be seen as white or associate with whiteness because of status, power and influence. Also the colonial legacy where being more white is seen as being more "civilized."

The white worship and the ameridian shaming go hand in hand. I bet that in the same club where an ameridian looking person is denied access random gringo can get in.
    Yeah u would expect in here it would be the opposite and in the USA would be the situation of LATAM now, it's so bizarre and stupid. Also if what happened to my best friend would happened in the USA it would be on the papers now or viral, here literally no one gives a fuck which sucks :/.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    /...
    Country
    Japan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,819
    Given: 5,369

1 Not allowed!

I would say Chile no doubt many years ago had a friend from Chile she was quiet self hating always talking about whiteness and European ancestry despite looking almost Indomestiza I felt really sad for her to the point I want to cry the self hate was very obvious.

Also based from several comments online I've seen various Chileans claiming white European ancestry only while looking at most harnizo They make fun of Peruvians and Bolivians so bad despite being closer to them then their east neighbors Argentina and Uruguay .

Last Online
    12-11-2020 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    ibero-german
    Ancestry
    german, iberian
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Bavaria
    Taxonomy
    faelid+gorid
    Politics
    Paleoconservatism
    Religion
    catholism
    Relationship Status
    casado
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 59

0 Not allowed!

Peruvians go illegaly to Chile and they tend to be poor and uneducated while the chilean aristocratic class is overwhelmenly northeastern/central european so look like amerindian is not nice and its against the chilean national pride I guess.....

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information