Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,067
    Given: 39,632

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I really didn't like Napoleon Dynamite the first time I saw it, but it grew on me over the years I must admit.

I think it is considered sorta cult-ish at this point??
    Yea me neither, it had a few funny moments but 90% made me want to want to read a book and reevaluate my life.

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,518
    Given: 24,968

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    I agree but is Star Wars really a cult film? All the Star Wars films were huge mainstream blockbusters.
    Yeah, I think of cult classics as being kinda strange/unusual/off beat films that slowly over time gain a following.

I'm pretty sure Star Wars was a smash right outta the gate..

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I agree that Blade Runner is overrated. Didn't like The Rocky Horror Picture Show either. Some of my favorite cult movies are This Is Spinal Tap, Dazed and Confused (best high school movie ever), The Big Lebowski, Donnie Darko, and Repo Man.
    Rocky Horror picture show was just such a pointless movie, none of the scenes ever felt like they meant anything. It was also a musical which is always gay unless it's a family friendly or classic film. It felt like watching some shitty play. Blade Runner was hard for me to watch as a kid for some reason, it was just so drawn out. It would have made a good anime like Cowboy Bebop.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoEuropean View Post
    Yea me neither, it had a few funny moments but 90% made me want to want to read a book and reevaluate my life.
    Ultimately, scenes like this one kept me coming back though..

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Rocky Horror picture show was just such a pointless movie, none of the scenes ever felt like they meant anything. It was also a musical which is always gay unless it's a family friendly or classic film. It felt like watching some shitty play. Blade Runner was hard for me to watch as a kid for some reason, it was just so drawn out. It would have made a good anime like Cowboy Bebop.
    Agree about Rocky Horror, I never got it.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    Star Wars. I understand why the first trilogy (IV, V, VI) was so popular 30 years ago. No one had ever shot on such a scale before, it seemed to the fans that they were shown a film created by another civilization. Literally every scene was full of new locations, technologies, creatures, ideas.
    But even the Hidden Menace, even as a child, I could not watch. Since then, the series has ceased to be breakthrough and interesting. Now it does not deserve the hype that is created around her. There is a feeling that the audience continues to praise new parts out of habit.
    Actually Star Wars is completely unoriginal in all aspects even the scale. Fritz Lang's Metropolis was way ahead of that curve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...and_television

"Lucas based the Luke Skywalker Han Solo relationship based on his relationship with Francis Ford Coppola.
    In an interview, Lucas has specifically cited the fact that he became acquainted with the term jidaigeki ("period drama", the Japanese genre of samurai films) while in Japan, and it is widely assumed that he took inspiration for the term Jedi from this.[27][28][29]
    The costume for Darth Vader was visually inspired by the character "The Lightning" in the Republic Pictures serial The Fighting Devil Dogs. The Lightning also had an army of white-armored stormtroopers and flew through the sky in a large triangular airship (the "flying wing").
    Darth Vader's need to wear his helmet to breathe recalls the oxygen helmets of the underground-dwelling Muranians in the 1935 Mascot serial The Phantom Empire, which are required by the caped Thunder Riders to be able to breathe on the surface.
    The Phantom Menace features a pod racing action sequence. This entire sequence is inspired by the famous Chariot Race of Ben Hur. The climactic moment when Sebulba's Pod attaches itself to Anakin's Pod mimicks, almost shot for shot, the climactic moment of the scene in Ben Hur when Messala accidentally locks wheels with Ben Hur. Lines, scenes and themes from Ben-Hur had already previously influenced the Star Wars films. The conflict between the rebel alliance and the Empire is comparable to the earlier film's depiction of the historical Roman-Jewish conflict of the time, with an ascendant Roman Empire, represented by Messala, threatening to wipe out the Jewish rebels and send them extinct. The same Chariot sequence also inspired parts of the Endor speeder chase in Return of the Jedi, which also includes a sequence where two speeders accidentally interlock. The film's famous early line "The Emperor is displeased, he wishes Judea be made into a more obedient province!" significantly influenced dialogue in all Original Trilogy Star Wars films, with the first four words in particular being frequently directly quoted in relation to Star Wars Emperor Palpatine character.
    Lucas has also cited John Ford's The Searchers and David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia as references for the style—if not the story—used in the films. A more direct homage to Lawrence of Arabia occurs in Attack of the Clones, as Padme and Anakin talk while walking around the Theed palace on Naboo. It was filmed at the Plaza de España in Seville, Spain, which in Lawrence of Arabia was the site of the British Army headquarters in Cairo, and was shot in the exact manner as the scene in Lawrence of Arabia where Allenby (Jack Hawkins) and Dryden (Claude Rains) discuss whether to give artillery to Lawrence's Arab troops. In the same film, Padme and Anakin also retreat to an estate called Varykino – the name of the Gromeko family estate in Doctor Zhivago. (Some[who?] also have considered Tom Courtenay's Pasha/Strelnikov character from Zhivago as an inspiration for Anakin/Darth Vader, but the similarities are likely coincidental.) Similarly, the chase sequence with Zam Wesell on Coruscant likely references Blade Runner; Lucas based many of the Coruscant cityscapes on Los Angeles in 2019. A reference to The Searchers occurs in Star Wars, when Luke discovers the burning moisture farm, while the Tusken Raiders sequence in Attack of the Clones recalls the climax of The Searchers. Han's showdown with Greedo in Star Wars resembles a scene in another John Ford movie, Cheyenne Autumn.
    Lucas is also a fan of Sergio Leone's film Once Upon a Time in the West, and according to Leone's biographer, Christopher Frayling, he listened to the score from Leone's film while editing The Empire Strikes Back. Many[who?] have considered Vader's first appearance in A New Hope as being an "homage" to the introduction of Henry Fonda's villainous Frank in the Leone film.
    The death scene of Yoda in Return of the Jedi is taken almost shot-for-shot from the death scene of the similarly mystical High Lama in Frank Capra's Lost Horizon (Yoda and the High Lama also both share a diminutive form and odd cadence of speech).
    The attack on the Death Star in the climax of the film A New Hope is similar in many respects to the strategy of Operation Chastise from the 1954 British film, The Dam Busters. Rebel pilots have to fly through a trench while evading enemy fire and drop a single special weapon at a precise distance from the target to destroy the entire base with a single explosion; if one run fails another run must be made by a different pilot. Some scenes from the A New Hope climax are similar to those in The Dam Busters and some of the dialogue is nearly identical in the two films. These scenes are also heavily influenced by the action scenes from the fictional wartime film 633 Squadron. That film's finale shows the squadron's planes flying down a deep fjord while being fired at along the way by anti-aircraft guns lining its sides. George Lucas has stated in interviews that this sequence inspired the 'trench run' sequence in Star Wars.[citation needed]
    During Anakin's massacre on Mustafar, the slaughter of the Separatist Council and the declaration of the Galactic Empire are reminiscent of the montage of massacres during the christening scene of The Godfather, a film directed by his friend and mentor Francis Ford Coppola. They are similar in the christening of one (the baby and the Empire) with the death of a group of others (the other dons and the Separatists).[30]
    The Maschinenmensch – the robot in Fritz Lang's 1927 film Metropolis – inspired the look of C-3PO, although the Maschinenmensch is a gynoid whereas C-3PO has masculine programming.
    Ray Harryhausen used stop motion animation to create a mechanical owl, Bubo, in Clash of the Titans (1981). Despite Bubo's similarities (Bubo is metallic and expresses by whistling and rotating its head) to the droid R2-D2 of the 1977 film Star Wars, Harryhausen claimed Bubo was created before Star Wars was released.[31]
    Lucas used the term the Force to "echo" its use by cinematographer Roman Kroitor in 21-87 (1963), in which Kroitor says, "Many people feel that in the contemplation of nature and in communication with other living things, they become aware of some kind of force, or something, behind this apparent mask which we see in front of us, and they call it God".[32] Although Lucas had Kroitor's line in mind specifically, Lucas said the underlying sentiment is universal and that "similar phrases have been used extensively by many different people for the last 13,000 years".[33]
    The Clone Wars animated series episode Hostage Crisis, introduced Cad Bane, who was inspired by Hans Gruber, the villain of Die Hard, its plot was similar too.[34]
    Akira Kurosawa
    Akira Kurosawa films:
    The Hidden Fortress (1958) – A New Hope features the exploits of C-3PO and R2-D2, whereas the plot of The Hidden Fortress is told from the point of view of two bickering peasants. The two peasants, Tahei and Matashichi, are first shown escaping a battle, while C-3PO and R2-D2 are first shown fleeing an attack in A New Hope. Additionally, both films feature a battle-tested General – Rokurota Makabe in The Hidden Fortress and Obi-Wan Kenobi in A New Hope – who assist a rebellion led by a princess and engage in a duel with a former rival whom they fought years earlier. Lucas also features many horizontal wipe scene transitions in Star Wars, a technique used thoroughly by Kurosawa in his films. Similarly, the Princess trades places with a slave girl in The Hidden Fortress, with the slave girl acting as a decoy for the real Princess. In The Phantom Menace, Queen Amidala trades places with one of her handmaidens who acts as a decoy.
    Yojimbo (1961) inspired the brawl scene in the Cantina. Its sequel Sanjuro (1962) inspired the hiding-under-the-floor trick.[35]
    Dersu Uzala (1975), just two years before the first Star Wars movie, there are two scenes that bear a striking resemblance to scenes in Star Wars. The first is the Captain and Dersu looking out over the horizon, seeing both the setting sun and the rising moon at the same time. This is much like when Luke Skywalker stares out on the sky with binary suns in A New Hope. The other scene is when Dersu and the Captain are suddenly caught in a blizzard, and they have to quickly build a shelter to spend the night, to survive the cold. The Captain collapses from the cold and Dersu has to drag and stuff him into the shelter. This is similar to the scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Han Solo cuts a tauntaun open with Luke's lightsaber and stuffs the unconscious Luke into it, when they get caught in a blizzard on the snow planet Hoth.
    Rashomon (1950): On The Last Jedi (2017), from post-George Lucas director Rian Johnson. The Rashomon effect, is described on the part where Rey is told by Luke, a description of how he considered murdering his nephew Ben Solo in his sleep, due to feeling his inevitable fall to the darkside of The Force. Then Solo, who by that point had renamed himself as Kylo Ren and destroyed multiple planets, tells his perspective, which causes Luke to tell a third perspective of the event. All whom cause a reinterpretation of a similar even in Return of the Jedi.[36]
    Seven Samurai also inspired an episode of The Clone Wars animated series, and the first Star Wars comic with an original plot, that wasn't adapted from the film.[37]"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Ultimately, scenes like this one kept me coming back though..

His uncle and brother were also really funny. I think if they made a movie about just those two; it would have been easier the first time around.

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,730
    Given: 5,555

2 Not allowed!

I agree but is Star Wars really a cult film? All the Star Wars films were huge mainstream blockbusters.
    Certainly a cult. An ordinary summer blockbuster is forgotten immediately after the summer ends, and sometimes when you just left the cinema.
    Actually Star Wars is completely unoriginal in all aspects even the scale. Fritz Lang's Metropolis was way ahead of that curve.
    Maybe, but I'm speaking on behalf of generations who caught the premiere of Star Wars. It is possible that people who were present at the premiere of "Metropolis" were shocked much more, but you can't ask them anymore.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    Certainly a cult. An ordinary summer blockbuster is forgotten immediately after the summer ends, and sometimes when you just left the cinema.
    Cult though means a small following and not accepted by the mainstream.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Savages, Hillmen
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,999
    Given: 9,684

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
    Marvel movies.
    Marvel movies have never been cult films.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information