Thread: map of iron age indo-european languages by TheOldNorth

Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 04:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic, German, some Jewish
    Ancestry
    Mercia/Northumbria, Westphalia/Baden-Wuttemburg, Mayo/Donegal, Powys, Argyll, Pas-de-Calais, Poland?
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    probably alpine+atlantid/mediterranid
    Politics
    non party affiliated center-right
    Hero
    Vercingetorix, Caratacus, Arminius, Robert the Bruce, Owain Glyndwr, Jan Sobieski III
    Religion
    I feel connected to paganism & my ancestors but am also scientific
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,927
    Given: 2,177

2 Not allowed!

Default map of iron age indo-european languages by TheOldNorth

indo-european mid iron age v.2 (speculative).png

Languages by Color from darkest shade to lightest
    Green - Primitive Irish, Proto-Brittonic, Gaulish/Galatian, Hispano-celtic (Celtiberian and Gallaecian + Tartessian? Lusitanian?)
    Blue - Gothic, High German (proto-Deustch), Frankish (proto-Dutch), Saxon (proto-English/Frisian/Low German), Proto Norse (stage before Old Norse)
    Yellow-Brown - Sicel, Oscan, Umbrian, Old Latin/Faliscan, Venetic (note that the yellow in the bottom of Italy is greek not Venetiic or Latin)
    Yellow - Doric Greek, Koine Greek
    Purple - Baltic, Slavic, Daco-Thracian, Illyrian
    Orange-Brown - Persian, Median, Parthian, Bactrian, Scythian/Saka/Alanic/Sarmatian, Sogdian (note that the brown in western china is Tocharian)
    Red - Nuristani, Dardic, Shauraseni Prakrit, Magadhi Prakrit, Maharasthri Prakrit, Sri Lankan Prakrit
    others, brown in china = Tocharian, gold in eastern Anatolia = Armenian

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Mercia/Northumbria, Westphalia/Baden-Wuttemburg, Mayo/Donegal, Powys, Argyll, Pas-de-Calais, Poland?
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Vercingetorix, Caratacus, Arminius, Robert the Bruce, Owain Glyndwr, Jan Sobieski III
    Religion
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

bump, opinions?

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,481
    Given: 6,982

1 Not allowed!

Pretty good job, congrats.

One minor objection: the naming "Frankish" showed up much later (circa 1,500 years) in history. But if it's used to define the cluster of Germanic cultures that eventually took shape as the Ripuarian and Salian Frankish federation, it makes sense.

Probably the Ligurian domain was somewhat larger, IMHO it encompassed back then most of NW Italy as well as a fairly big chunk of Provence. And there is some evidence that Ligures and Iberians met where Provence and Languedoc meet, near the Rhône delta. Did the Gaulish culture ever reach the Mediterranean shore? Politically and militarily yes, but linguistically?

Of course here come the classic problems: which Celtiberians were more Celtic or more Iberian? Which Celto-Ligurians where predominantly Celtic or Ligures, and at what time? Were the Etruscans the bulk of Etrurian population, or just a tiny aristocracy superimposed to a populace that could have used some Italic language of which all record has been lost?

All in all, your map delivers a good starting point to grasp the cultural dynamics that developed until the next millenium.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    Pretty good job, congrats.

One minor objection: the naming "Frankish" showed up much later (circa 1,500 years) in history. But if it's used to define the cluster of Germanic cultures that eventually took shape as the Ripuarian and Salian Frankish federation, it makes sense.

Probably the Ligurian domain was somewhat larger, IMHO it encompassed back then most of NW Italy as well as a fairly big chunk of Provence. And there is some evidence that Ligures and Iberians met where Provence and Languedoc meet, near the Rhône delta. Did the Gaulish culture ever reach the Mediterranean shore? Politically and militarily yes, but linguistically?

Of course here come the classic problems: which Celtiberians were more Celtic or more Iberian? Which Celto-Ligurians where predominantly Celtic or Ligures, and at what time? Were the Etruscans the bulk of Etrurian population, or just a tiny aristocracy superimposed to a populace that could have used some Italic language of which all record has been lost?

All in all, your map delivers a good starting point to grasp the cultural dynamics that developed until the next millenium.
    You’re correct on my reasoning for calling them Frankish, and those aren’t ligurians, they are Massalian Greeks. To be honest I was planning on adding Ligurian and Lusitanian under “para-Celtic” but I forgot to or was putting it off for a finishing touch. I do think Celtic peoples made it to the Mediterranean in southwestern France, after all the even Massalians referred to the people in their surroundings as Gaulish, despite the fact they were in Ligurian territory, so maybe the Ligurians were Celtic, maybe they weren’t, or maybe some of their tribes where mixed, but either way the Ligurians didn’t stretch that far west.

Thread Information