Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is the American university system losing its sheen?

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    I see all the usual America bashing suspects made it to this thread. So because two nerdy chicks went to Cambridge that proves American Universities are losing there sheen? Besides Cambridge, Oxford, and a few select colleges, the top 100 or so US universities dominate the rankings. I mean if we are to bash America colleges, what does that make the mediocre selection of colleges in a second tier Anglosphere country like Canada? Oh, the University of Toronto, wow!
    What kind of crack cocaine are you smoking ? Americans can't even read past the 8th grade level that is why authors such as James Patterson are so popular .

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic, Anglo, Baltic
    Ethnicity
    English, French, Irish, Scottish, German, Distant American Indian
    Ancestry
    Mother's Side: Colonial Virginia. Fathers Side: German/Lithuania early 1900s.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Atlantid-CM
    Politics
    Paleo Conservative
    Hero
    General Lee
    Religion
    Christian Protestant
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,023
    Given: 10,274

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    What kind of crack cocaine are you smoking ? Americans can't even read past the 8th grade level that is why authors such as James Patterson are so popular .
    I was reading books like "The catcher in the rye" by age 11 .

Sent from my G9 PRO using Tapatalk

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Richmondbread View Post
    I was reading books like "The catcher in the rye" by age 11 .

Sent from my G9 PRO using Tapatalk
    Most 'American' college graduates can read above 8th grade level but still only highschool level : analytical reading :

There are four levels of reading. They are thought of as levels because you can’t reach the higher levels without a firm understanding of the previous one — they are cumulative.

1. Elementary Reading
    The first level of reading is elementary reading, which is what we learned to do in elementary school. Most of us never get beyond this level.

Other names might be rudimentary reading, basic reading or initial reading; any one of these terms serves to suggest that as one masters this level one passes from nonliteracy to at least beginning literacy. In mastering this level, one learns the rudiments of the art of reading, receives basic training in reading, and acquires initial reading skills.

2. Inspectional Reading
    The second level of reading is inspectional reading, which can be thought of us intelligently skimming a book in a limited amount of time. Not only does this prime our brain with the material in the book, but it helps us determine if we want to read the entire book.

Adler writes:

[A]nother name for this level might be skimming or pre-reading. However, we do not mean the kind of skimming that is characterized by casual or random browsing through a book. Inspectional reading is the art of skimming systematically.

The point of inspectional reading is to examine the “surface” of the book.

Adler guides us:

Whereas the question that is asked at the first level is “What does the sentence say?” the question typically asked at this level is “What is the book about?” That is a surface question; others of a similar nature are “What is the structure of the book?” or “What are its parts?”

Inspectional reading is underappreciated by a lot of readers because they see it as a waste of time.

A lot of people like to read linearly. They pick up a book, turn to page one, and plow steadily through it without ever reading so much as the table of contents. “They are,” writes Adler, “thus faced with the task of achieving a superficial knowledge of the book at the same time that they are trying to understand it.” This makes reading more difficult, not less.

3. Analytical Reading
    The third level of reading is called analytical reading, which goes deeper than inspectional reading. If your goal in reading is entertainment or acquiring information, analytical reading is not necessary. However, if you are reading to improve understanding, analytical reading is entirely necessary.

It is both a more complex and a more systematic activity than either of the two levels of reading discussed so far. … Analytical reading is thorough reading, complete reading, or good reading— the best reading you can do. If inspectional reading is the best and most complete reading that is possible given a limited time, then analytical reading is the best and most complete reading that is possible given unlimited time. The analytical reader must ask many, and organized, questions of what he is reading. … [A]nalytical reading is always intensely active. On this level of reading, the reader grasps a book— the metaphor is apt— and works at it until the book becomes his own.

Francis Bacon remarked “some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.” Think of analytical reading as chewing and digesting.

4. Syntopical Reading
    The fourth and most difficult level of reading is syntopical reading.

It is the most complex and systematic type of reading of all. It makes very heavy demands on the reader, even if the materials he is reading are themselves relatively easy and unsophisticated. Another name for this level might be comparative reading. When reading syntopically, the reader reads many books, not just one, and places them in relation to one another and to a subject about which they all revolve. But mere comparison of texts is not enough. … With the help of the books read, the syntopical reader is able to construct an analysis of the subject that may not be in any of the books. It is obvious, therefore, that syntopical reading is the most active and effortful kind of reading.

https://fs.blog/2013/06/levels-of-reading/

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 07:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    sub-brachycephalic+Atlanto-Mediterranean+Caucasus-Alpine
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,458
    Given: 1,641

0 Not allowed!

US dominance in high-tech is was squandered by neo-liberal politicians on some countries in Asia. Now last 4 years things reversed so maybe the high-tech dominance may stay in US with no competition for Microsoft, IBM, Apple, Tesla etc.. Due to covid many raising countries got hit big and it would take a decade or so to come back to same spot in terms of the new high tech market and companies. However even in USA due to covid lot of disruption in the Industry means it is not gonna be like before in next 2 decades
    Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 admix -> https://i.ibb.co/NjwQTz6/myherit1.png
    G25 Distance: 1.0778%
    86.2 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2
    5.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940 1.4 ITA_Daunian
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H
    3.6 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA:VK464

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information