Friesland+Sinop
    Country
    Northern-Cyprus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 440
    Given: 162

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    just because nomad conquerors were turkic it doesnt mean modern hungarians are turkic
    That's true but one important thing is obvious; a part of turkic peoples and great commanders & elders live in hungarian nation today, without any other offspring.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,296
    Given: 9,873

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by eatensemn View Post
    This post is true nightmare of christian hungarians, to be associated with muslim turks, inevitably.
    There is no nightmare, overwhelming majority of hungarians consider themselves only hungarian not turkic, not uralic most peoples don't even care these things. Fact most hungarians feel a much closer relationship to poles (who are slavic) than to turks or finns. These turkic and uralic fans are just a little minority. Check these some question from the most popular hungarian asking site:

"Are we hungarians turkic?"
    https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/kultu...turkok-vagyunk

Answers:

1# "No" 100%
    2# "We are hungarians" 100%
    3# "I'm not with my white skin and green eyes" 100%
    4# "Mostly these who have swabian ancestry. Its so stupid don't you feel?We are hungarians nothing else" 100%
    5# "Genetically we have not much to do with conquerors, who had finno-ugric and turkic origin. We are typical mied central europeans" 36%
    6# "There is no hungarian here" 0%
    7# It's too long, but the point is hungarians were scythians, huns, and the Habsburgs stoled the true hungarian pre history 58%

If you belive in everything what turul karom said about the hungarian society you will get a totally false pic of hungarians just saying.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2024 @ 05:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,351
    Given: 4,487

2 Not allowed!

Depends on what do you mean under hungarians? The uralic speaker common folk or the turkic speaker conquerors, because these both population were not same and hungarians are descedants of these two ethnic group.
    Another thing is modern hungarians and conquerors are not same, just because nomad conquerors were turkic it doesnt mean modern hungarians are turkic since the hungarian culture is european, hungarian genetic is central european not turkic and the hungarian lagnguage is also not turkic.
    This is a fair question. One I have addressed before, but possibly too may years for you to have read the answer.

I believe that Hungarian identity as we know it began with the Turkic population. The Uralic/Ugric groups came later. Just like the original Turkics who used the name "Turk" did so in opposition to their Chinese oppressors, one needs to understand "when" an ethnic identity begins. At some point, we will be talking about proto-proto-proto-Magyars who have very little in common culturally with the conquering Hungarians. The Hungarian language has been altered several times in the last 1000+ years. I don't deny that there is a large "Ugric" component, but the idea that the Turkic-speaking Hungarians we "less so Hungarian" before the Ugric component is just arbitrary. This is because the Hungarian identity has been predominantly Turkic but has been bastardized by westernization. No, I am not talking about the Hapsburgs (although they did not help either), but the general westernization that Hungary has attempted to undergo for the last 1000+ years.

The key here has been the two Abrahamic religions Christianity and Islam Without Islam, the Turks of Anatolia would be seen as far less of an "other" because they would then not have overwhelming Arabic influence in their culture. After the broader Turkic world was forced to adopt Islam, and Hungary's constant civil strifes solidified Christianity, the split became more ideological based on religion than actual steppe culture or genetics. Hungarian as "European" culture is defined as the Latin Church culture.

When you peel away the layers of the imposed culture, you will find that Hungary has a tradition of staunch independence and a respect for steppe heritage. When the Turks of Anatolia arrived, even after they were starting to become Muslim, they were mocked greatly by Arabs and Anatolians because of their simplicity and austerity. One of the most stinging insults were that Turkics did not have furniture; even in the places they conquered, they would set up a large carpet to sit on with nothing else in the room. There was a moaning loss from these "civilized" people that such barbarians as Hungarians and the Oghuz would gain such a territory and furnish it with such simplistic nothingness. The Pope was against yurts because they were difficult to tax and to levy the nomadic population into pointless Euro vs. Euro wars.

As far as genetics, you are simply not correct. I, along with many Hungarians, model best with other Turkic populations added into the mix. I also match other Turkic graves and Hungarian conqueror graves. I share autosomal DNA with the KAROS III Hungarian grave. We also have the same haplogroup.

I have always said that Hungarians will cluster with Central Europeans, and I have always stood by that obvious fact. But to say that we don't retain Turkic DNA is just erasing the entire Hungarian experience and is simply not true. Chris596, Stears, Mr. G, oszkar, Dunai, all have Turkic DNA. Some of these are diaspora Hungarians who are half German, and even they retain more Turkic DNA than most neighbors. Culture will align more and more with our Turkic past now that Hungary is free(er) from western influences. Kurultaj, the Turkic council, and other major Turkic association and governmental events will only increase. History calls, and Hungary listens.

Last Online
    03-03-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Székely
    Country
    Hungary
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z280
    mtDNA
    N1b1a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,437
    Given: 1,237

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Turul Karom View Post
    Just like the largest segment of Hungarian words are of "unknown" origin.
    Honestly, the idea that 30% of our vocabulary is of unknown origin sounds ridiculous to me.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,296
    Given: 9,873

0 Not allowed!

That's true but one important thing is obvious; a part of turkic peoples and great commanders & elders live in hungarian nation today, without any other offspring.
    Modern hungarians are not turkic, neither the culture, the language, the genetic. And the fighting against turks is part of hungarian national identity with such names like Kinizsi, Dobó, Hunyadi, Tomori etc who got the "turk beater" title and they have many statue here, ottomans have very bad reputation in Hungary because they destroyed the whole country just saying.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-15-2020 @ 03:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish+(Dutch)
    Ancestry
    Friesland+Sinop
    Country
    Northern-Cyprus
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

If you belive in everything what turul karom said about the hungarian society you will get a totally false pic of hungarians just saying.
    No of course i don't live in an imaginary world, i'm aware of that. But what people feel is something, and what science say is another thing. I'm more interested in latter. Otherwise, i don't have plans like moving to hungary and claim citizenship or smh. (But actually a very good country to move and live in)

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Turkish+(Dutch)
    Ancestry
    Friesland+Sinop
    Country
    Northern-Cyprus
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

fighting against turks is part of hungarian national identity with such names like Kinizsi, Dobó, Hunyadi, Tomori etc who got the "turk beater" title and they have many statue here, ottomans have very bad reputation in Hungary because they destroyed the whole country just saying.
    The most unfortunate part of the story. If there was no ottomans, you would never be such anti-turk today, let alone stopping any tiny connection; you would enjoy discovering that "exotic" part of hungarians.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bender1999 View Post
    You hungarians, even you have low turkic genetics, are honorary member of the turkic cultures and peoples. Europeans aren’t genetically the same too, but have some common history and culture.
    It's more than you think. There is also a cultural element that I think you might be missing the larger part of. So long as we are free, we always gravitate towards our family.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the children of Árpád are doing just fine.

I never said that my opinion was universal, just that it is more common than people think. I have "white skin" and my eyes are green too, and I am a Turkic Hungarian. I am well aware of the Hungarians who dislike their own past and relish any chance to point to things like "white skin" and "green eyes" to make themselves sound less Turkic (even though the Cumans were the ultimate Aryan stereotype with blue eyes and blond hair, as recorded by many peoples such as the Rus).

Quote Originally Posted by Kökény View Post
    Honestly, the idea that 30% of our vocabulary is of unknown origin sounds ridiculous to me.
    I know, right? There is perhaps something interesting going on here, but since I obviously cannot prove anything definitively, one can only speculate why that is....

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Modern hungarians are not turkic, neither the culture, the language, the genetic. And the fighting against turks is part of hungarian national identity with such names like Kinizsi, Dobó, Hunyadi, Tomori etc who got the "turk beater" title and they have many statue here, ottomans have very bad reputation in Hungary because they destroyed the whole country just saying.
    Fighting against Ottoman invaders is part of Hungarian national identity. Also, the Ottomans did not see themselves at this point as an ethnic group, but rather as a multi-ethnic Islamic empire.

I don't get the idea that if we are Turkic, we must have therefore not fought any other Turkics, ever.

Surely you know about the countless wars where German states fought to unify Germany, and the intra-Germanic conflicts of say, WW1 and WW2 where Germanics slaughtered one another? Does that make them less Germanic?

Saying "we fought the Ottomans, therefore we aren't Turkic" is a nonsensical argument.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Turkish+(Dutch)
    Ancestry
    Friesland+Sinop
    Country
    Northern-Cyprus
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Turul Karom View Post
    Saying "we fought the Ottomans, therefore we aren't Turkic" is a nonsensical argument.
    In fact turks even fought themselves many times and for example, Timur literally destroyed ottoman empire once, at least for a while. But europeans can't get over that because turks are today muslim and "undesired".

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information