7/8 Spanish, 1/16 Corsican, 1/16 Taino
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,206
    Given: 792

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Well judging by the photos and films I have seen of Cuba and from the discussions I have had with friends and relatives who've visited it, that is utter bullshit.
    People often say this, but it really seems impossible to me that Cuba does not have a large white population.

In 1820, Cuba had a white population of 311,051 (44.2% of the island's population). Many of those people were probably mixed, but if the Spanish government considered them "white" they were likely pred. Euro.
    1820, New Zealand of white population of 0.

From 1820-1932 Cuba received 1,394,000 European immigrants.
    From 1820-1932 New Zealand received 588,000 European immigrants.

I assume you accept that New Zealand has a white population of over 3,000,000.
    Why is it impossible to believe Cuba has a white population of over 5,500,000 (the number needed for whites to be >50% of the Cuban population)?

Cuba received more than twice the number of European immigrants and already had a sizable pred. Euro population. Many white Cubans left, but New Zealand also has a very large diaspora so it doesn't really affect the comparison. A similar comparison can be made with South Africa, which also has a large and primarily white diaspora.

I'm not saying your friends/family are lying or anything like that, I'm just saying that it seems unlikely to me that the census and genetic studies are so wrong when it seems like the historical evidence also supports the conclusion that Cuba still has a large white population.

Last edited by BirdMan; 07-16-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    People often say this, but it really seems impossible to me that Cuba does not have a large white population.

In 1820, Cuba had a white population of 311,051 (44.2% of the island's population). Many of those people were probably mixed, but if the Spanish government considered them "white" they were likely pred. Euro.
    1820, New Zealand of white population of 0.

From 1820-1932 Cuba received 1,394,000 European immigrants.
    From 1820-1932 New Zealand received 588,000 European immigrants.

I assume you accept that New Zealand has a white population of over 3,000,000.
    Why is it impossible to believe Cuba has a white population of over 5,500,000 (the number needed for whites to be >50% of the Cuban population)?

Cuba received more than twice the number of European immigrants and already had a sizable pred. Euro population. Many white Cubans left, but New Zealand also has a very large diaspora so it doesn't really affect the comparison. A similar comparison can be made with South Africa, which also has a large and primarily white diaspora.

I'm not saying your friends/family are lying or anything like that, I'm just saying that it seems unlikely to me that the census and genetic studies are so wrong when it seems like the historical evidence also supports the conclusion that Cuba still has a large white population.

But surely there is a distinction between later Spanish-descended Cubans and colonial Cubans, the latter being mostly mixed-race to varying degrees?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Residents of Little Havana in Miami. Many if not most look ambiguous/mixed-race: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...e-Havana-Miami

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 08:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

But surely there is a distinction between later Spanish-descended Cubans and colonial Cubans, the latter being mostly mixed-race to varying degrees?
    Of course - but the modern Cuban population descends from both colonial cubans and the descendants of late 19th century immigrants, just as in any New World society that experienced massive immigration.

My point is that if New Zealand and South Africa have large white populations, it seems very likely that Cuba does as well because they received more European immigration and already had large (if not "pure") white population.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Of course - but the modern Cuban population descends from both colonial cubans and the descendants of late 19th century immigrants, just as in any New World society that experienced massive immigration.

My point is that if New Zealand and South Africa have large white populations, it seems very likely that Cuba does as well because they received more European immigration and already had large (if not "pure") white population.
    Well South African Whites constitute no more than 15-20% of the population. Even NZ is no more than 75% White, given its large Maori population and more recent Asian and Pacific Islander immigrants.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Residents of Little Havana in Miami. Many if not most look ambiguous/mixed-race: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...e-Havana-Miami
    I used to live in Miami and Little Havana hasn't been majority Cuban for a long time, even though it's still the spiritual home of the Cuban community.

I'm not sure about the exact demographics (I get the impression that there are many Dominicans and Central Americans now).

Here's an interesting article about it:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-miami/477204/

A more purely Cuban and heavily working class neighborhood would be Hialeah. I lived in an upper middle class area and the Cubans I interacted with were uniformly white, thiugh of course not representative.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well South African Whites constitute no more than 15-20% of the population. Even NZ is no more than 75% White, given its large Maori population and more recent Asian and Pacific Islander immigrants.
    Right, but South Africa has 6,000,000 whites and New Zealand has 3,000,000 whites. Why couldn't there also be 6,000,000 whites in Cuba (enough to be a clear majority in the country), given that Cuba received more than twice as many 19th century immigrants as South Africa and had a larger starting "white" population?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I used to live in Miami and Little Havana hasn't been majority Cuban for a long time, even though it's still the spiritual home of the Cuban community.

I'm not sure about the exact demographics (I get the impression that there are many Dominicans and Central Americans now).

Here's an interesting article about it:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-miami/477204/

A more purely Cuban and heavily working class neighborhood would be Hialeah. I lived in an upper middle class area and the Cubans I interacted with were uniformly white, thiugh of course not representative.
    Coral Gables? Coconut Grove? Key Biscayne?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Right, but South Africa has 6,000,000 whites and New Zealand has 3,000,000 whites. Why couldn't there also be 6,000,000 whites in Cuba (enough to be a clear majority in the country), given that Cuba received more than twice as many 19th century immigrants as South Africa and had a larger starting "white" population?
    I don't doubt that Cuba was and still is whiter than South Africa. The key difference is that, for reasons that don't even really need explaining, South African Whites generally have little if any non-white admixture, whereas plenty of White Cubans do and more than a few times it shows.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Coral Gables? Coconut Grove? Key Biscayne?
    Coral Gables near the border with Coconut Grove. Aside from some people from Argentina/Uruguay/Brazil, the Cubans were almost always the "whitest" Latin Americans I interacted with (including people from the working classes like waiters and uber drivers).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information