Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: How would you describe the mentality/culture of your ethnicity and influences?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,869
    Given: 12,099

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Can you explain why Hungary ... well, sucks in Football? I mean, it was one of the first European countries after Great Britain to incorporate it as a sport, and Hungary was successful back in 1950s for instance.
    It's a very interesting question that is mistery to many hungarians. My theory is fooball is much higher level nowadays than 50-60-70 years ago. Level of Hungarian football stagnated, while others were improving, so Hungary looks worse in comparison to others at the moment. Interestingly in the 80s we still had a decent team. We beat brazil 3-1 or something in a friendly match and we played at the world cup the same year(We can't qualify at all nowdays to the world cup ) . At the mexican world cup expectations from Hungarian team were high, but they flopped. The expectations were high because they were actually a decent team.

Last Online
    07-10-2023 @ 09:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Vatican City
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,506
    Given: 1,296

1 Not allowed!

As for my ethnicity :Warm hearted, working maniacs, hospitality.

Alexandro

2 Not allowed!

Well, the history of Spain is very complex, and we still have many of the same underground conflicts that led us to our last civil war, so it's pretty difficult to write anything like "Spain in a nutshell" referring to mentality or culture.

If I had to say something, I'd say that we have a love-hate relationship with our cultural heritage and history, always comparing with our neighbors (mainly blaming the government etc) but, at the same time, we understand that the mixture of lifestyle, history, culture, language and weather differences is not something easy to find outside. I think there is like a nation wide unreasonable pessimistic consciousness on Spain by Spaniards, always supercritical regarding themselves until someone else appears on a public forum to criticize:

- The colonial empire.

- Racism and discrimination in Spain today.

- The "unique" relationship with some peripheral regions.

Then their little nationalistic egos go completely apeshit.

People here see things that are fucked up and assume it's basically the worst thing ever, but the thing is, aspects of society are fucked up everywhere and it's really a grass is greener sort of thing. Quality of life in Spain by most objective measures (health/happiness) actually rates pretty high and most people who have gone to live elsewhere may prefer to come back.

Also, we have some customs that do not help to improve our image in protestant-driven-work-ethic countries (read The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, by Max Weber), most of them are just inherited from the past, but lost the real purpose behind such practices. Like, when you find everything closed on Sunday, this made sense in the past because everyone was in church, and it was kind of a holy day, but very few attend mass nowadays.
    Last edited by Alexandro; 02-25-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Coimbra, born and raised (old man from Santo Tirso)
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Eru Ilúvatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,511
    Given: 4,445

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post

Well, the history of Spain is very complex, and we still have many of the same underground conflicts that led us to our last civil war, so it's pretty difficult to write anything like "Spain in a nutshell" referring to mentality or culture.

If I had to say something, I'd say that we have a love-hate relationship with our cultural heritage and history, always comparing with our neighbors (mainly blaming the government etc) but, at the same time, we understand that the mixture of lifestyle, history, culture, language and weather differences is not something easy to find outside. I think there is like a nation wide unreasonable pessimistic consciousness on Spain by Spaniards, always supercritical regarding themselves until someone else appears on a public forum to criticize:

- The colonial empire.

- Racism and discrimination in Spain today.

- The "unique" relationship with some peripheral regions.

Then their little nationalistic egos go completely apeshit.

People here see things that are fucked up and assume it's basically the worst thing ever, but the thing is, aspects of society are fucked up everywhere and it's really a grass is greener sort of thing. Quality of life in Spain by most objective measures (health/happiness) actually rates pretty high and most people who have gone to live elsewhere may prefer to come back.

Also, we have some customs that do not help to improve our image in protestant-driven-work-ethic countries (read The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, by Max Weber), most of them are just inherited from the past, but lost the real purpose behind such practices. Like, when you find everything closed on Sunday, this made sense in the past because everyone was in church, and it was kind of a holy day, but very few attend mass nowadays.
    10/10 analysis, coming from the rebelious province that actually did it , that meme had me pass out; to the point of me only making mine of Portugal departing from it:

Doing it not that way to begin with, it would come to my mind the Portuguese are, in general:

-helpful (within ourselves, but more to foreigners even, cause we reeeeally like to show off abroad)

-our hillbily/redneck/etc character is dying off...which is sad, because it was funny , hillbily like these guys and gals

TO BE CONTINUED xd, I really have to leave, for some stuff I have to take care of.
    Last edited by hurtuv; 02-25-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    “Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects with everything else.”
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    Quote Originally Posted by barnumandbailey View Post
    Women have hair so that you can grab them while you’re pounding from behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by michal3141 View Post
    Don't worry Roy. We're talking about some profound unsolved problem in science of computing (computer science).
    Quote Originally Posted by solarisregvm View Post
    You sound like an authority of people who know naked portuguese people ......
    Classify Hurtuv and Family 2022
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...nd-Family-2022

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

1 Not allowed!

Not very good. Bulgarian present day society is retarded in more ways than one.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Coimbra, born and raised (old man from Santo Tirso)
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Eru Ilúvatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,511
    Given: 4,445

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hurtuv View Post
    10/10 analysis, coming from the rebelious province that actually did it , that meme had me pass out; to the point of me only making mine of Portugal departing from it:

Doing it not that way to begin with, it would come to my mind the Portuguese are, in general:

-helpful (within ourselves, but more to foreigners even, cause we reeeeally like to show off abroad)

-our hillbily/redneck/etc character is dying off...which is sad, because it was funny , hillbily like these guys and gals

TO BE CONTINUED xd, I really have to leave, for some stuff I have to take care of.
    to elaborate - our redneck types, as I call them: are more sincere, honest, and people who are not afraid of expressing themselves, without intrigue, more than anything. A friend of mine, is of the opinion that they still exist, and he might be right, in a way. I just find it weird that nowadays they’re more located in the interior of the country.
    “Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects with everything else.”
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    Quote Originally Posted by barnumandbailey View Post
    Women have hair so that you can grab them while you’re pounding from behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by michal3141 View Post
    Don't worry Roy. We're talking about some profound unsolved problem in science of computing (computer science).
    Quote Originally Posted by solarisregvm View Post
    You sound like an authority of people who know naked portuguese people ......
    Classify Hurtuv and Family 2022
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...nd-Family-2022

Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,418
    Given: 7,888

1 Not allowed!

I made comments here before, but the mentality is based around some basic themes.

Be relaxed.

Be honest.

Honour your beliefs and stand up for yourself.

When you work, work hard.

There's some negative aspects in our mentality, the greatest of them being, in my opinion, the xenomania and the self-degradation we force ourselves into, for every aspect. There are multiple people in Greece, saying "uhhhh, this country is the worst!", "it's third-wordly", "why can't we be like x,y,z", "why can't we do anything right" etc etc, which is more than pathetic to be honest. Objectively speaking, by reality and by relative data for any sector, Greece is doing more than ok. In some things, we are one of the best. These kinds of attitudes show lack of information about abroad, so as to actually compare the situation here with Greece, but also, extreme pessimism. Nowadays, I've observed it's not as rampant as a few years ago, but it still exists. Unfortunately.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Banned
    Last Online
    04-10-2021 @ 08:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,951
    Given: 5,518

1 Not allowed!

Serbs are not good in following strict rules, they rather improvise, which is a form of instict for surviving. I think it is probably most typical trait, along with strong sense of national pride. As someone said about Greeks, Serbs have that similar trait - strong sense of national pride sometimes is replaced with complaining about everything related to Serbia and equalizing country with current political elite, which is not good.

Serbs don't smile on street as all other Eastern Europeans, mosly look serious, moody and arogant on first sight. But they are hospitable toward foreigners (tourists) no matter white or non-white. They can quickly change their expression to much warmer when they are in position to welcome someone. They are warm and welcoming toward guests in their home, offering them with food and drink, sometimes even too much.

Serbs are often informal in their attitude even in formal places and are very straightforward, often irational in their decisions. They are very hard-working and protective for their family even for already grown up children and especially hard-working if they live abroad.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information