Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How would you describe the mentality/culture of your ethnicity and influences?

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Draug View Post
    Coffee doesn't have that same tradition here, it's mainly just something people consume at work to keep alert. Tea, however is pretty popular. Much so because England has been a strong cultural influence on Our country. And they like their tea, too. Long Island is a wonderful drink, but a risky one. Especially when I was younger and less disciplined. It is widely known here to be the drink that can tip people over the edge when drinking.

I forgot to add that it's quite hard to make new friends among Norwegians. There have been complaints of this for years, both among people settling here and international students. Many Norwegians forge friendships when growing up during school years and stick to those. Not all, not all but most are very secluded and may have a mentality that they don't need new friends. Most get exhausted much faster when socializing than Southerners, and have a profound need for solitary time.

Sounds that hospitality and covering the expenses. Not that different there. Children's parties the host pays. Seems like You guys are pretty straight-forward about most things, which is good. I've heard how in other cultures it becomes like an act where You insist on paying the host refuses, but You have to insist. And all sort of etiquette.
    I can understand the Norwegian point on friendship and I know some people who are kinda like that here, too. However, most people keep building friendly relationships in their 20s, many continue to do so in their 30s and some really charismatic ones even after that. Personally speaking, I built a very large part of my friendships in my 20s but I still communicate with some people from high or secondary school. I have friends I've been knowing for 21 years so far.
    After not shaving for a while:

Last Online
    01-13-2021 @ 08:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Magyar
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian + 1/32 Jewish
    Ancestry
    Balkans, Eastern Europe
    Country
    Hungary
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a1b7
    mtDNA
    H1ax
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Politics
    More plantations
    Hero
    Ras Tafari
    Religion
    Rastafari
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,570
    Given: 25,848

7 Not allowed!

Basically everything is true and so do I see it the way like Universe has described Hungarians/Hungary. I kind of see it as a mix between the Western and Eastern world.

Some personal things:
    -for my parents family is everything and it's the first before everything else
    -football and/or politics is a very common discussion topic between people (which I think it's the best not to bring up, especially politics)
    -don't expect the average person on the street to be very politically correct or sensitive to you
    -many people can be cold or hard-headed but if you prove your trustworthiness and you are honest then you can talk about and do with them literally everything (not to be misunderstood here!)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,999
    Given: 3,081

8 Not allowed!

- Philosopher Emil Cioran said, "History is an explanation but not en excuse". There is a tendency to blame our misfortune on exterior factors or historical events (barbarian invasions, the Phanariote rule, the Communism, etc.)

- "Romania is a beautiful country, too bad is inhabited": Romanians complain a lot about other Romanians but when faced with the need to change themselves they prefer to remain passive. To quote Cioran again: "Nu este popor care să-şi priceapă mai bine insuficienţele şi care să simtă o mai rară voluptate de a şi le mărturisi la fiecare ocazie. Este o auto-denigrare colectivă". / "There is no other nation who can better understand its own shortcomings and who feels a rare pleasure in confessing them on every occasion. It's a collective self-denigration."

- Don't take rules all that seriously (the traffic reflects it).

- "Merge și așa" or "If it works, it's good enough" mentality.

- Public space is nobody's space. Not a lot of importance is given to how streets or buildings look like. People can throw trash randomly, park their cars wherever they like, historical buildings can crumble into dust, etc.

-Clothes don't make the man, but in Romania they kinda do.

- The attitude towards foreigners is generally friendly and Romanians take pride in their hospitality. I've experienced this first hand; living in a foreign country for a few months made me realize we are more open and helpful to foreigners than others.

- I believe the people in here are pretty tolerant (sure, is debatable) but this is my subjective impression.
    Last edited by Cybele; 07-28-2020 at 11:59 PM.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,720
    Given: 43,625

2 Not allowed!

BEHAVIOUR / TEMPERAMENT: Of steady disposition, friendly, courageous, obedient, intelligent, full of dignity and self-confidence. Fierce in guarding property entrusted to him, cannot be bribed and is suspicious of strangers. Devoted to his master and very calm in his presence. Very affectionate towards persons living in his immediate vicinity. Learns quickly and keeps this in his memory for a long time, gladly performs tasks assigned to him. He is easy to train.

-Croatian Shepherd dog

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

4 Not allowed!

Me, me, I like hamburgers

Last Online
    11-21-2021 @ 02:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Ancestry
    Spanish, African(West, Central), Amerindian(Andean, Amazonic), German
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Sometimes Conservative, Sometimes Liberal, Pro-Christian
    Hero
    The Galilean Preacher that become the center of all history.
    Religion
    Militant Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 157

4 Not allowed!

I would say We are hard-working, socially conservative, We like alcohol, specially beer and rum and very religious. We have very good food. And obviously there are regional differences.
    The bad things may be that there is still visible racism. Although by no means as much as in the world's poorest countries.
    Living abroad also helps me to distinguish and recognize our mentality and things that characterize us.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-02-2020 @ 01:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 967

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    BEHAVIOUR / TEMPERAMENT: Of steady disposition, friendly, courageous, obedient, intelligent, full of dignity and self-confidence. Fierce in guarding property entrusted to him, cannot be bribed and is suspicious of strangers. Devoted to his master and very calm in his presence. Very affectionate towards persons living in his immediate vicinity. Learns quickly and keeps this in his memory for a long time, gladly performs tasks assigned to him. He is easy to train.

-Croatian Shepherd dog
    Admirable qualities, in particular for a woman to be obedient and follow her husband by not challenging the natural order passed down by thousands of years of evolution. Knowing Your place in life is a great blessing.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-02-2020 @ 01:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 967

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pompandy View Post
    I would say We are hard-working, socially conservative, We like alcohol, specially beer and rum and very religious. We have very good food. And obviously there are regional differences.
    The bad things may be that there is still visible racism. Although by no means as much as in the world's poorest countries.
    Living abroad also helps me to distinguish and recognize our mentality and things that characterize us.
    Very fine qualities overall. Though, I wish You could elaborate further on the characteristics of Your peoples mentality and what You think distinguish them. Especially as You live abroad and notice it more. Discrimination is found in every country on earth, though it does vary in how visible it is. Some places it's more out in the open whereas in other places it's more subtle.

Last Online
    11-21-2021 @ 02:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Ancestry
    Spanish, African(West, Central), Amerindian(Andean, Amazonic), German
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Sometimes Conservative, Sometimes Liberal, Pro-Christian
    Hero
    The Galilean Preacher that become the center of all history.
    Religion
    Militant Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 157

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Draug View Post
    Very fine qualities overall. Though, I wish You could elaborate further on the characteristics of Your peoples mentality and what You think distinguish them. Especially as You live abroad and notice it more. Discrimination is found in every country on earth, though it does vary in how visible it is. Some places it's more out in the open whereas in other places it's more subtle.
    Well I would say that most people give more that their best effort to have a better life. For example Kids in some areas of the country wake up at 4 AM to walk almost 4 hours to the school going through very narrow cliffs where if you fall they never find you. Some Parents or Old Workers have the same history.
    I would also say (people where I live have told me what nationality I am because of this) that people are calm, at least when we are sober. Lel.
    It is obvious that you will see if you compare us with other ethnic groups, Caribbeans.
    We would also say that we are ingenious, although unfortunately not in my case.
    There are regional differences, for example in La Selva the people are very happy and the women are hot.
    Visit Norway is my dream, it must be the best country in the World.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

2 Not allowed!

Pragmatic,direct, industrious, conscientious,knowledgeable,miserly, down to earth and straightforward (blunt can be seen as rude by other cultures). We can be seen as rigid by outsiders but as rigid as the Germans.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information