Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Forest Finns were not of Finnish ancestry, says a large Wikipedia description

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    This mulqvist looks pretty Ostrobothnian. You can't trust him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka Ervasti
    As a Kuusamoian, I do miss colonial times back in the sense that the King of Sweden once promised the people here an eternal tax exemption if they maintain a border company. Where's that promise left, huh?

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Oh, you are even more confused than I suggested. As to the Finnish North Karelia, all history books tell that it was settled by Savolaksfinnars and very late because the area was one of latest occupied by Sweden. Most Russian era North Karelians fled to Russia before the Swedish occupation. This means that nowadays Finnish North Karelians belong to the same stock with other Karelian-Saami mixtures. The real Karelia is in Russia. Here is a map, among thousands similar maps showing Karelian regions.

Finnish North Karelia just above the West Karelia title.

p.s.

I like to rant with you because you have balls to express youself. You are not like those ladies, you know them, but try to focus on matters.
    No the real Karelia is somewhere close to Isthmus or South Karelia. I don't know why you keep perpetuating this (maybe Russian) myth that origins of Karelians is in Archangelsk.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,437
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

Also my uncle was Kuusamoian. Actually Kuusamo was settled partly from Ostrobothnia, Kainuu not. For that reason Kuusamo wants to belong to Oulun lääni and they have always resisted the resettlement to Lapland despite of the fact that Kuusamo belongs to the reindeer herding area.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-17-2021 @ 07:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,840
    Given: 2,076

1 Not allowed!

Lol, as I wrote, read the Wiki article, Savolsksfins are a mixyure of Karelians and Saamis.
    The only part where it mentioned Karelians or Saami was here: "these settlements faced several problems, from conflicts with the original populations of Sami people and Karelians".

Freedom of paying taxes was not for ever. I can't now remember the exact law form, I can find it from my book shell including 3 meter Finnish history books. Savonians are a new population, Karelians were once upon time Finnish, but allied later with Russians and tried to occupy Finland under Russian command.
    It's mentioned in Finnish Wikipedia: "Yksi syy metsäsuomalaisten siirtolaisuuteen löytyy vuodelta 1579, jolloin Kustaa Vaasan nuorin poika Kaarle (myöhemmin Kaarle IX) sai herttuakunnakseen Keski-Ruotsin erämaat. Ruotsalaiset olivat jo asettuneet jokien varsille, mutta jättäneet metsäseudut asumattomiksi. Tilanteen korjaamiseksi Kaarle kirjoitti kirjelmän, jossa hän lupasi seitsemän verovapaata vuotta jokaiselle, joka ryhtyy asuttamaan herttuakunnan asumattomia alueita.[4]" The source was "Rauanheimo, Akseli: Uuteen maailmaan, WSOY, 1921" (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57938).

I wonder if it was Russians who occupied Sweden or vice versa.

Compare the articles about the Treaty of Noteborg in Finnish and Russian Wikipedia:

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pähkinäsaaren_rauha
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ореховский_мир

The Finnish Wikipedia says that there are multiple interpretations of the borders defined by the Treaty of Noteborg, and that the border actually had two branches. And that the land between the two branches was maybe possibly meant to be shared between Sweden and Russia. And that when the border was said to end in the "sea in the north", it was maybe ambiguous if it meant the Gulf of Finland or White Sea. Or that maybe the concept of precise borders between states was anachronistic in the 1300s. Or that maybe we can no longer identify the landmarks specified in the treaty.

Pähkinäsaaren rauhassa sovitun rajan linjasta on useita erilaisia tulkintoja. Kiistaton on vain rajalinjan eteläisin osa, joka ulottui Viipurin itä- ja pohjoispuolelta Saimaan etelärannalle. Useimmin toistetun tulkinnan mukaan raja jatkui sieltä nykyisen Savon ja Keski-Suomen halki päättyen lopulta Pohjanlahteen Pattijoella Raahen pohjoispuolella. Toisaalta rajan pohjoispää on todettu ainoastaan sanamuodolla "mereen pohjoisessa" (norr i haffvet), mikä voi tarkoittaa Pohjanlahden sijaan myös Jäämerta.[9]

Vallitsevan käsityksen mukaan rajalla oli pohjoisessa kaksi haaraa, joiden väliin jäänyt alue oli Länsi-Suomen ja Ruotsin sekä Novgorodin ja Laatokan karjalaisten yhteisnautinta-alueena.[1][2] Tämän teorian esittivät suomalainen Jarl Gallén ja tanskalainen John Lind joiden mukaan itäisempi raja kulkisi Vienanmerelle Kantalahden seudulle. Novgorodin ja Norjan välillä oli sopimus samanlaisesta yhteisverotusalueesta Finnmarkissa.[10] Gallénin-Lindin teoriaan on kohdistettu kritiikkiä, mutta se on saanut myös kannatusta tutkijoiden keskuudessa. Suurlähettiläs Heikki Talvitien käsityksen mukaan ainakin novgorodilaisten mielestä Pähkinäsaaren rauhalla oli kaksi rajaa, Ruotsin raja Kannakselta Perämerelle ja Novgorodin raja etelässä sama, mutta kääntyen Kuopion seudulta pohjoiseen jäämerelle. Itse asiassa Suomen itäraja pohjoisosistaan käytiin vasta 1800-luvulla suuriruhtinaskunnan ja emämaa Venäjän välillä. Talvitien mukaan ruotsalaiset väärensivät asiakirjoja, ja näiden väärennösten mukaan Olavinlinnan alue kuului yhteisiin nautinta-alueisiin Täyssinän rauhaan 1595 saakka, ja väliin jäävälle alueelle Ruotsi pyrki saamaan asutusta. Toisaalta Olavinlinna rakennettiin vasta 1400-luvun lopulla.[4]

Pähkinäsaaren rauhan rajalinjaus Raahen pohjoispuolelle Pattijoelle on saanut rinnalleen vaihtoehtoisia näkemyksiä. Kustaa Vilkuna esitti, että Pähkinäsaaren raja olisi kulkenut pitkin Pyhäjokea jättäen kuitenkin jokiuoman Novgorodin reitiksi Pohjanlahdelle. Rajasopimuksen "Petajoki" tarkoittaisi Pyhäjoen Yppärissä Petäjäisojaa, jolloin raja päättyisi Rajaniemeen jättäen Pyhäjokisuun novgorodilaisten hallintaan. Kyösti Julku yhtyi myöhemmin tähän käsitykseen.

Suomalaisista nykytutkijoista Jukka Korpela on katsonut, että ajatus selkeästi määritellystä rajalinjasta on 1300-luvun oloissa anakronismi Karjalankannasta ja Etelä-Savoa lukuun ottamatta. Näilläkään alueilla rajaa ei juurikaan vartioitu eikä se estänyt vuorovaikutusta, liikennettä, kaupankäyntiä tai kulttuurivaihtoa. Tavallisten 1300-luvun ihmisten näkökulmasta rajaa ei Korpelan mukaan ollut edes olemassa. Rajasopimuksella oli merkitystä vain etäisille valtakeskuksille, jotka riitelivät verotusalueista.[7]

Valtaosa raja-alueesta oli 1320-luvulla erämaata, joten rajalinjaa ei juurikaan merkitty, eikä rajasopimuksessa mainittuja maastomerkkejä voida tunnistaa varmuudella. Raja jäi siis suurelta osin epämääräiseksi. 1300-luvulla rajalla ei vielä ollut sitä merkitystä, minkä se sai puolitoista vuosisataa myöhemmin asutuksen tiivistymisen ja territoriaalivaltioiden synnyn myötä. Rauha Ruotsin ja Novgorodin välillä rikkoutui jo 1348, kun kuningas Maunu Eerikinpoika hyökkäsi Novgorodia vastaan.

Russian Wikipedia includes a link to the full text of what is supposed to be the Russian version of the original peace treaty. It features a list of the precise landmarks that specified the border in the treaty.

1. Novgorod "for love" gave Sweden three graveyards in Finland - Savolaks, Jaskis and Eurepya, which had been captured and ruled by the Swedes for 30 years.

2. The Novgorod-Swedish border divided the Karelian Isthmus along, from south to north, passing along the Sestra River and further along swamps, rivers and lakes, up to the confluence of the Pyuhajoki River [en] into the Gulf of Bothnia:

... from Sestrei moss, in the middle of the moss mountain, ottole Saya river, from Sae Solnychnyi kamen, from Solnychny kamen to Chermnaya Shchela, from Chermnaya Shchelya to Lake Lembo, ottole on moss in Pekhkei, ottole to Lake Kangas ervi, ottole to Purnojärvi, ottolejärvi... Yantojärvi, ottole Terzhejärvi, ottole Sergilaksha, ottole Samosalo, ottole Zhiti, ottole Korelomkoshka, ottole Kolemakoshka, ottole Patsoeki, ottole Kayano sea...

3. The Novgorodians were left with the right to hunt and fish on the lands (traps) that extended to Sweden: Swedes and Novgorodians could use six of them equally, and on two other lands the Novgorodians owned one-sixth.

4. For all merchants, unhindered passage to Novgorod was established by water along the Neva or by land.

5. Forbidden the construction of fortresses near the border to both sides.

6. The Parties undertake to surrender to each other defectors: debtors, fugitive slaves and criminal offenders.

7. It was forbidden for the Swedes to buy land and land in the border territories of Novgorod.

8. In the event of an attack on Novgorod land by third forces from behind Narva, the Swedes were forbidden to provide them with military assistance.

9. In the event of mutual grievances, their solution was envisaged by peaceful means.

Finnish Wikipedia says this: "Varsinaista alkuperäistä rauhansopimusta ei ole säilynyt nykyaikoihin. Tallella on ainoastaan erikielisiä myöhäisiä versioita, jotka eroavat jossain määrin toisistaan." ("The text of the original peace treaty has not been preserved. There are only later versions of the treaty written in various languages, which differ in certain details.")

I don't know if its authenticity is disputed, but the Russian version of the original peace treaty from 1323 is supposed to have been preserved (https://ru.wikisource.org/wiki/Ореховский_мир_(1323)).

Swedish-Finnish vs Russian idea of the borders specified by the Treaty of Noteborg:

Last edited by Ymyyakhtakh; 07-29-2020 at 03:33 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

These interpretations of the Nöteborg treaty are endless. Only that matter are people and where they lived.

The freedom of taxes, seven years less or more, was the come-on given by the king to get the East Finland settled. I don't always understand how you succeed to catch meaningless historical sidetracks. In this case the question of forest finns instead of the Finnish history. The topic was about the forest finns, but if you pay a little attention for the big view you could see more.

Are you now denying that the East Finland was settled by Savilahti/Mikkeli Karelians who mixed with Laplanders from the 16th century? Y/N?

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

These interpretations of the Nöteborg treaty are endless. Only that matter are people and where they lived.

The freedom of taxes, seven years less or more, was the come-on given by the king to get the East Finland settled. I don't always understand how you succeed to catch meaningless historical sidetracks.
    Ymy's quote specifically was about settlement of Central Swedish forest regions. I'm not now sure if this "seven years" is also linked to East Finland settlement.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Also my uncle was Kuusamoian. Actually Kuusamo was settled partly from Ostrobothnia, Kainuu not. For that reason Kuusamo wants to belong to Oulun lääni and they have always resisted the resettlement to Lapland despite of the fact that Kuusamo belongs to the reindeer herding area.
    As far as I know most of Lappi was settled by Ostrobothnians, so shouldn't Lappi rather belong to Ostrobothnia rather than Kuusamo?

Banned
    Last Online
    07-17-2021 @ 07:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,840
    Given: 2,076

1 Not allowed!

I brought up the Treaty of Nöteborg, because the text you quoted in the first post of this thread said this: "The origin of the Forest Finns lies in border skirmishes since the 13th century. The powers to the east of Finland, Novgorod and later Russia, constantly challenged the Swedish sovereignty of the often sparsely populated provinces of Eastern Finland."

The freedom of taxes, seven years less or more, was the come-on given by the king to get the East Finland settled.
    Actually I misunderstood what you said, and my quote about the seven-year tax exemption was about Finns who settled Central Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Harkonnen View Post
    As far as I know most of Lappi was settled by Ostrobothnians, so shouldn't Lappi rather belong to Ostrobothnia rather than Kuusamo?
    According to this, early Finnish settlers of Lapland were mostly Savonian (https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savolaisten_asutusliike):

1500-luvun puolessavälissä saamelaisia asui enimmäkseen nykyisen Lapin ja Kuusamon alueella. Tällöin oli jo voimassa lapinraja, jonka yli talonpojat eivät saaneet mennä pyytämään ilman saamelaisten lupaa. Uudisasutus alkoi levitä lapinrajan yli kuningas Kaarle IX:n (sama Kaarle kuin aiemmin mainittu Kaarle-herttua, jonka herttuakuntaan Keski-Ruotsissa savolaiset muuttivat) 1600-luvun alussa antamien käskyjen ja vuoden 1673 julistuksen myötä.[1] 1670-luvulla alkanut asutuksen ekspansio kesti isoonvihaan asti.[7]

1600-luvun puolessavälissä Lappiin muutti vain yksittäisiä uudisasukkaita, lähinnä Enontekiölle, Kemijärvelle ja Kittilään. Vuonna 1673 kruunu antoi julistuksen, jossa se lupasi Lappiin muuttaville vapautuksen veroista viideksitoista vuodeksi ja sen jälkeen vain matalan lapinveron sekä ikuisen vapautuksen sotaväenotoista. Tämä johti ryntäykseen, jossa Kitkan ja Maanselän lapinkyliin muutti kerralla lähes sata perhettä, enimmäkseen savolaisia.[7]

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harkonnen View Post
    Ymy's quote specifically was about settlement of Central Swedish forest regions. I'm not now sure if this "seven years" is also linked to East Finland settlement.
    It was, 100% sure. I feel myself somewhat lonely and frustrated in this discussion because I need to prove things that should be
    Known to have fruitful outcomes. This freedom of taxes in East Finland is mentioned in all history books hsndling the theme.

So I waste hugely time in every detail that should be already known for all of us.

Siksi hän lupasi muutaman vuoden verovapauden talonpojille, jotka muuttivat erämaahan asumaan eli nykyiseen Itä-Suomeen.
    https://peda.net/kemionsaari/koulut/...et%C3%B6n-0f4b

My point in opening the Forest Finn question was to look bigger views, not to crawl in basics.

Then some Finns lower themselves on the same level with Murican understanding, which really pisses me
    Last edited by Lemminkäinen; 07-29-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ymyyakhtakh View Post

According to this, early Finnish settlers of Lapland were mostly Savonian (https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savolaisten_asutusliike):

1500-luvun puolessavälissä saamelaisia asui enimmäkseen nykyisen Lapin ja Kuusamon alueella. Tällöin oli jo voimassa lapinraja, jonka yli talonpojat eivät saaneet mennä pyytämään ilman saamelaisten lupaa. Uudisasutus alkoi levitä lapinrajan yli kuningas Kaarle IX:n (sama Kaarle kuin aiemmin mainittu Kaarle-herttua, jonka herttuakuntaan Keski-Ruotsissa savolaiset muuttivat) 1600-luvun alussa antamien käskyjen ja vuoden 1673 julistuksen myötä.[1] 1670-luvulla alkanut asutuksen ekspansio kesti isoonvihaan asti.[7]

1600-luvun puolessavälissä Lappiin muutti vain yksittäisiä uudisasukkaita, lähinnä Enontekiölle, Kemijärvelle ja Kittilään. Vuonna 1673 kruunu antoi julistuksen, jossa se lupasi Lappiin muuttaville vapautuksen veroista viideksitoista vuodeksi ja sen jälkeen vain matalan lapinveron sekä ikuisen vapautuksen sotaväenotoista. Tämä johti ryntäykseen, jossa Kitkan ja Maanselän lapinkyliin muutti kerralla lähes sata perhettä, enimmäkseen savolaisia.[7]
    According this Lappi clusters with Pohjalaiset

Perhaps original settlers were later overrun by Ostrobothnians?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information