Thread: Why do Brazilians seem to be bigger fans of American music than Hispanics?

Last Online
    03-09-2024 @ 11:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    New World Black
    Ethnicity
    Afro-American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 423
    Given: 83

0 Not allowed!

Default Why do Brazilians seem to be bigger fans of American music than Hispanics?

I'm generalizing, of course, but it seems like Brazil is quicker to be fans of contemporary American artists than Hispanic countries(except Puerto Rico for obvious reasons.)

It seems Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Chris Brown, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Bruno Mars, Eminem, 50 Cent, etc. have much larger followings in Brazil than run the mill Hispanic countries. I remember going on Gaga's twitter and damn near half of the people commenting on her page were Brazilian. And I see tons of Brazilians in general showing American artists more love on social media than Hispanics.

Of course, there's plenty of people in Hispanic countries that listen to American artists too but it seems Brazilians have a closer connection to American music. Is there a reason for this, considering that Brazilians generally don't speak English either?

Last Online
    12-11-2020 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    ibero-german
    Ancestry
    german, iberian
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Bavaria
    Taxonomy
    faelid+gorid
    Politics
    Paleoconservatism
    Religion
    catholism
    Relationship Status
    casado
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 59

2 Not allowed!

Because is like 1/4 of latin american population?
    Here in Costa Rica people prefer american/english music over spic music. Or what was at used to be before 2015 when most trap spic singers(like Bad Bunny, Anuel AA, J Balvin or so) start to been famous. I would say that the same happen in the rest of spic countries if you check the playlists of their main radio-stations before 2015.

Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baldic
    Ethnicity
    Bald
    Ancestry
    Bald individuals
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Baldid
    Politics
    Pro-Baldness, Hair Loss
    Hero
    Charles the Bald
    Religion
    Ironically Calvinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,039
    Given: 996

0 Not allowed!

They are american wannabes, it is well known in Latin America

Daven

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by time67 View Post
    I'm generalizing, of course, but it seems like Brazil is quicker to be fans of contemporary American artists than Hispanic countries(except Puerto Rico for obvious reasons.)

It seems Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Chris Brown, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Bruno Mars, Eminem, 50 Cent, etc. have much larger followings in Brazil than run the mill Hispanic countries. I remember going on Gaga's twitter and damn near half of the people commenting on her page were Brazilian. And I see tons of Brazilians in general showing American artists more love on social media than Hispanics.

Of course, there's plenty of people in Hispanic countries that listen to American artists too but it seems Brazilians have a closer connection to American music. Is there a reason for this, considering that Brazilians generally don't speak English either?
    Puerto Rico's case ain't that different compared to other Latino countries in the region. The masses there listen to Hispanic music for the most part. You are also talking about Brazil, a country of 200 millions souls. That will traslate into more fans in pure numbers.

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamui View Post
    Because is like 1/4 of latin american population?
    Here in Costa Rica people prefer american/english music over spic music. Or what was at used to be before 2015 when most trap spic singers(like Bad Bunny, Anuel AA, J Balvin or so) start to been famous. I would say that the same happen in the rest of spic countries if you check the playlists of their main radio-stations before 2015.
    Bad Bunny and Anuel became mainstream in the late 2016/2017. Balvin in the very early 2010s.

Bad Bunny is the least talented of the whole bunch. Second least talented is Anuel.

Last Online
    03-09-2024 @ 11:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    New World Black
    Ethnicity
    Afro-American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 423
    Given: 83

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Puerto Rico's case ain't that different compared to other Latino countries in the region. The masses there listen to Hispanic music for the most part. You are also talking about Brazil, a country of 200 millions souls. That will traslate into more fans in pure numbers.
    Good point that I forgot about. I guess I reacted because I found a lot of Brazilian fans and commentators on music artists's social media pages

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by time67 View Post
    Good point that I forgot about. I guess I reacted because I found a lot of Brazilian fans and commentators on music artists's social media pages
    In DR people also listen to American music. I grew up in the 90s and I can tell you this. Also in the 80s Madonna, Janet and MJ were well-known and cable wasn't still a thing in Latin America. You also have a segment that listen to rock/metal/punk like me. Rihanna, Justin Bieber, etc, all those folks are known there. I know the first two have performed in the island before. The majority still consumes mainstream Latino and local though.

Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022
    Given: 2,705

0 Not allowed!

I'm more into British music.

Last Online
    01-12-2023 @ 11:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 105

0 Not allowed!

I was talking about it with friends from Peru, Guatemala, Mexico and Argentina. They consume Brazilian music and I heard few songs in Spanish.

Perhaps because Brazil has many genres and we are stuck in our little world. There is also the question of American imperialism, we are bombarded with Murica things like films, series and so on.

There is also the old question of that irritation of thinking that we speak Spanish and a rejection with the language has been created.

Usually brazilians who live on the border with some Hispanic country like songs in Spanish.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Not White
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,495
    Given: 884

1 Not allowed!

Some kind of "Gringo things are great". Like somekind of joke which says that "Europeans are boring, Asians are weird, but Muricans are cool and I want to live in Miami"

Thread Information