Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use alternative medicine?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Quintessential Western Euro
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese, Walloon, Flemish, Dutch, German, Luxembourgish, English
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Lazy housewife
    Hero
    Oblomov
    Religion
    oblomovchtchina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,039
    Given: 4,960

7 Not allowed!

Default Do you use alternative medicine?

Do you use alternative health cares, such as homeopathy, phytotherapy, acupuncture, etc.?

I have already tested all of the above-mentioned types of medicine.

Since my daughter, who is now almost one and a half year old, was born, I've given her only homeopathic remedies, and it seems to have a good effect on her. She has actually never been really ill, she's really healthy and beautiful, and she is not even vaccinated.
    Last edited by Laly; 08-31-2020 at 02:08 PM.

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,067
    Given: 39,632

5 Not allowed!

There are certain things I use that are proven like Turmeric and manuka honey but I am rarely sick or injured enough to warrant any treatment for anything. Still I use those two things quite often to keep me healthier. Both have anti-fungal, antibiotic and antiviral properties. Both can also be used in wound management topically.
    Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.

Even if this were hard--that is how it is ! Assuredly, however, by far the harder fate is that which strikes the man who thinks he can overcome Nature, but in the last analysis only mocks her. Distress, misfortune, and diseases are her answer.

Kekgenes K13

1 Swahili+ Jew + Kekistani + Trailerparkistan @ 6.9420

M.T.A
    Celt + Frank (4.869)
    Viking Icelandic + Frank (5.463)
    Viking Icelandic + Celt (5.545)
    Celt + Saxon (5.789)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.283)
    Celt (6.539)
    Frank (10.13)
    Viking Icelandic (10.34)
    Viking Danish (10.4)
    Saxon (10.79)

kit 2
    Celt + Belgae (4.016)
    Viking Danish + Belgae (5.555)
    Belgae + Frank (5.797)
    Celt + Frank (6.031)
    Celt (6.297)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.441)
    Belgae (8.662)
    Viking Danish (8.925)
    Frank (9.409)
    Saxon (10.83)

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,530
    Given: 24,991

3 Not allowed!

I took Oil of Oregano drops daily for awhile, it's supposed to have anti-everything that's bad properties to it.

I would go back to using it but it's not the most exciting stuff to take. It tastes pretty much like what I imagine jet fuel to taste like. Seriously, 2 or 3 drops in a glass of water is an interesting experience for you and also anyone else in the kitchen with you.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/French Canadian/Ukrainian
    Ancestry
    About 1/2 British/Irish/Scottish, 1/4 French Canadian, and 1/4 Ukrainian (SW Ukraine) + a few other
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,369
    Given: 12,847

2 Not allowed!

I do not, but I have recently become interested in trying it.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

Lightbulb

Yes, naturopathy :

Self Study: Naturopathy's Secret Weapon

By John Bryant

As a sort of introduction to what might be called my philosophy of medicine, I offer the following essay. It was first published in the May 1996 issue of The Townsend Letter for Doctors, a major journal of the alternative medical community where I have often published.

There are two kinds of health research, but only one of them is currently recognized by medical science, namely, what I call group study, ie, studies of groups of people who are subjected to some form of procedure, diet, supplementation, etc. Group studies have obvious value, at least when competently done, although there are certain important problems inherent in these studies which I have discussed elsewhere, including proper choice of variables and the need to replace double-blind with multiple-blind studies However, the fact that group studies are not -- or not consciously -- combined with the second form of research is perhaps the most important flaw in allopathic medicine, and one which is actually leading to its collapse in the face of competition with naturopathy. This second form of research what I call self study, by which I mean the process in which an individual subjects his own body to some form of procedure, diet, supplementation, etc, to see if it works for him. This procedure, of course, is different from that of various medical heroes, who subjected themselves to such things as yellow fever, AIDS and other dread diseases in order to prove something for others: Rather, self study is merely the way an individual can find out if the result of some group study -- or his grandma's advice, or his own intuition -- has any relevance for his own personal well-being. Self study is important not merely for the obvious reason that group studies are irrelevant to what works for some particular individual, but also because the individual is the one person with the greatest interest in promoting his own health -- unlike his doctor, whose interest inclines to collecting his fee -- and because the individual has access to "research data" (his own feelings and reactions) not accessible to the white-coated set.

But there is an important caveat for those involved in self study, namely, what the famous Harvard psychologist BF Skinner called "the development of superstition". Skinner's famous experiment, performed on my favorite animal -- pigeons -- is one which should be read, marked, learned and inwardly digested by not only those involved in self study, but also religionists, astrologizers, superstitionists, allopaths and others of their ilk. What Skinner did was to place hungry pigeons in a so-called Skinner box, which would drop food grains to the pigeon at random times. What Skinner found is that, if food were dropped when a pigeon was performing some particular action (eg, strutting, grooming, scratching, etc), the food would "reinforce" the behavior, so that the hungry pigeon would tend to perform such behavior in order to get more food. Thus a pigeon, after some time in a Skinner box, would be found to be performing some action over and over, thus indicating that it had developed a "superstition" about how it could cause food to appear -- a superstition which would become more and more strongly reinforced as the pigeon was "rewarded" for this behavior by the random appearance of food. (Note: Skinner was a behaviorist, and thus did not believe in the existence of mentality apart from its behavioral manifestations; hence superstition to him meant merely "behaving superstitiously". Please don't ask me if he knew the difference between when he was awake and when he was not.)

One does not have to be a rocket scientist to see that Skinnerian reinforcement is the basis of not only superstition and religion, but also all kinds of other misbehaviors, particularly allopathy. That is, a person gets sick, he goes to the doctor, the doctor gives him a pill, he gets well, and Voila! -- he (and the doctor) thinks there is a relation between what the doctor did and the fact that he got well, when in fact there may be no relation and -- as many of us well know -- we would probably have gotten well sooner without the doctor. This situation is exacerbated by the so-called placebo effect, ie, the fact that irrelevant "cures" are successful in curing 1/3 of all diseases anyway -- or at least that 1/3 of us get well after visiting the doctor (please don't ask what happens to the other 2/3).

The lesson of the Skinner box for self study should be obvious, but I will spell it out anyway: Just because you feel better after taking some pill, enduring some regimen, or whatever, this does not necessarily mean that the pill, regimen or whatever had anything to do with your feeling better. Furthermore, in cases where a pill, regimen or whatever is not in fact helpful, one should attempt to determine this fact, not merely because the cost of pillage or whatever can mount up, but also because such therapies may actually be doing some unrecognized kind of harm. Thus in order to purge your life of "naturopathic superstition" you should make a list of your pills, regimens, etc, and then systematically drop each one for awhile to see if it makes any difference. In fact, if you want to be really scientific about it, you could try dropping all possible combinations: For example, if you are taking three different pills, first drop one, then the second, then the third, then the first and second, then the first and third, etc, etc, etc. Following this, you could fool around with different dosages, and in general spend your whole life figuring out what you should be taking, all the while forgetting that what you need now may not be the same thing you needed last year, and isn't science wonderful?

In closing, I would like to make one final point which is also not recognized by allopathic medicine, but which is unconsciously recognized by many engaged in self study, namely, that the best method of curing or preventing disease is to utilize a multiplicity of strategies. What I am getting at here is a lesson from systems theory, to wit, that the best way to prevent a "system" from breaking down is to have a backup system. We see this in hospitals, for example, which generally have backup power systems to insure power in case a squirrel gets into the power company's transformers. In the case of our body "system", the best way to keep it from "going down" is to have multiple backup strategies for staying healthy: For example, we might try to keep healthy both by eating a good diet and by exercising, so that if one strategy doesn't provide optimal health by itself, the other will "take up the slack". Likewise, in order to assure cardiovascular health, we might take both vitamin C and vitamin E, even tho we feel that one of them may be "redundant".

Naturopaths have a great deal to teach allopaths, but allopaths are unlikely to learn anything. One reason for this is because they will probably all die from their own treatments first.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Quintessential Western Euro
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese, Walloon, Flemish, Dutch, German, Luxembourgish, English
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Lazy housewife
    Hero
    Oblomov
    Religion
    oblomovchtchina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,039
    Given: 4,960

2 Not allowed!

I forgot to mention thermal cures. I have asthma issues, because of which sometimes have bronchitis and thermal cures do me good.

I’ve twice done a three weeks thermal cure in Savoie, France, more precisely in the thermal baths of Challes-les-Eaux.

“Close to Chambéry, Challes-les-Eaux has the most sulphurous water in Europe. The thermal center was created in 1872. Strong sulphurous water, iodized, bromide, bicarbonated, cold sodium relieves respiratory disorders and certain gynecological problems. The resort also offers wellness treatments, slimming programs, mini-cures for young mothers and prevention of baby blues.”

And of course, I have done several thermal cures in Spa! I’m sure most of you don’t know that the word “spa” in English refers to the thermal baths of Spa, in the Belgian Ardennes. Spa thermae became very famous throughout Europe in the XVIth century, also because Spa water was the first to be exported all over Europe, because of its great properties. The Emperor Joseph II said that Spa is the “Café de l’Europe”, after his stay there. All the important people of Europe went to Spa baths, including Victor Hugo, Czar Peter the Great, Alexandre Dumas père, Meyerbeer and the Kaiser Wilhelm II, who even lived in Spa, which is a lovely town.

You must take a funicular to reach the thermae:

Last Online
    01-12-2023 @ 11:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 105

0 Not allowed!

That kind of thing is kind of controversial. When I was a kid I suffered a lot from asthma and bronchitis I used some medicines from Amerindean origin, my bronchitis has decreased. But resorting to alternative treatment that has no scientific proof is complicated.

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,134
    Given: 9,065

2 Not allowed!

Yes, I drink Pálinka

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Ancestry
    Aegean, Inner Anatolia, Transcaucasia
    Country
    Turkey
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,160
    Given: 3,931

2 Not allowed!

Phytotherapy has a big impact in my life. My grandma is good at it, and since my childhood I rarely use medicines for common sickness. For example, I drink sage tea when I have nauseation, or mix mallow, honey, lemon and boiled water when I catch cold.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-27-2021 @ 01:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

I believe it is possible to prevent a lot of diseases just by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Don't you agree? Personally, I decided to quit bad habits and pay proper attention to my well-being. I also keep a healthy diet, exercise every day, and sleep at least 8 hours. I am feeling much better now. My brother was diagnosed with MS last year. Now he takes tecfidera and maintain a healthy lifestyle. As a result, his well-being is perfect now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information