Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: who are the Vlachs... / Ko su Vlasi ..

Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdLookingFellow View Post
    I have no reasons to call myself "Latin" or "Italian" - because the base population here adopted the language, with almost no customs whatsoever ? people can't name more than Sânziene and Floriile...
    My argument is cultural - Romania is not a Latin culture, it's a Balkan one. Latin language, but nothing else. Whether Romans impacted us genetically or not, I believe that the linguistical heritage that they passed on should not deem Romania a culturally Latin country - we are Balkan.
    I won't bother with Rusalii because that's also Christian. Also, give more than one apart from the two I named.

The Căluș ritual is unique for the region and is inherited from the Romans.

Many of our Christmas and New Year customs and traditions have pagan Roman origins, such as

- colinde ( traditional carols)

- pig sacrifice

- Capra ( The goat dance)

Our funerary cult ( cultul morților) and death customs are inherited from the Romans.

The ritual pouring of wine is a pagan custom.

Our burial traditions are originated from the Romans.

Mărțișor is a pagan Roman tradition.

Ursitoare.

There should be many more

Keep in mind there are many obscure and unique traditions, practices and customs found only in certain parts of the country.

As for Romania not being a culturally Latin country, depends what you mean by "Latin culture".

- Romania is a heavily wine-drinking country. Wine culture and wine production are part of the Romanian people’s tradition, the winery products accompanying the domestic consumers along their entire life, in ordinary moments or at festive events. To me, that's very "Latin".

- Romanians are, generally, extroverted people. We talk a lot with our hands. More emotional compared to our neighbors. Again, very "Latin" to me.

- People care about appearance and like to dress up.

- Romanians nurture strong family bonds. Family is very important and large gatherings are part of our culture.

- Laissez-faire style and approach of the State.

- The second most consumed media in Romania, after the American one, is the Latin American media.
    Last edited by Tommie; 10-11-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Healthy human being
    Country
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,506
    Given: 1,507

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeduard View Post

- Romanians are, generally, extroverted people. We talk a lot with our hands. More emotional compared to our neighbors. Again, very "Latin" to me.
    Maybe in Bucharest, but here people are actually calmer than in Ukraine or Russia. Our StopHam videos (an NGO that raises awareness about illegal parking) always stand out in comparison with countries to the East of us, because of how cultured people are behaving to being criticised. Foreigners from Russia and Ukraine always catch on that in the comments.

Moldova

Russia

Veteran Member WeirdLookingFellow's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 06:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balkan, Slavic from the Scythian Steppes of LARPing
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan, Romanian
    Ancestry
    Moldovan, Ukrainian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Ponto-Turan
    Hero
    Woody, the Cuman Khan
    Religion
    Folkish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,876
    Given: 3,564

0 Not allowed!

The Căluș ritual is unique for the region and is inherited from the Romans.
    Remulus Vuia did not find any link to the Romans other than the Rusalii - based on his findings and comparisons to other similar rituals in the Balkans, his best idea was that it represents a fertility spring festival, connected to iele/zane (both general European concepts), which was moved to align with the Rusalii. There is no known similar ritual practiced by the Romans - the Coli-Salii, based on very limited info about it, was military.

Many of our Christmas and New Year customs and traditions have pagan Roman origins, such as

- colinde ( traditional carols)

- pig sacrifice

- Capra ( The goat dance)
    Colind is a Slavic word (not that it necessarily matters) and the idea of singing to sing for casting out spirits is a well known pagan Eastern European tradition - the fact that Romans were also pagan and might have practiced it does not mean we inherited it from them.

The pig sacrifice (ignat) might be, though bear in mind the only connection is to Saturnalia where a young pig was slaughtered at a temple - we slaughter fully grown pigs. Czechs and Slovaks also do it/did it in a very similar manner.

The goat dance, bear dance, these are done all over Eastern Europe. We have a local flair (of course), but these are not Roman, but most probably again, general European customs.

Our funerary cult ( cultul morților) and death customs are inherited from the Romans.
    Source? our funerary cult is very similar to our neighbours.

The ritual pouring of wine is a pagan custom.
    The ritual pouring of any drink is a European custom.

Our burial traditions are originated from the Romans.
    What? Source? Bear in mind we lost a lot of these due to them being awfully pagan and the Church tried to get rid of them.

Mărțișor is a pagan Roman tradition.
    There is no similar pagan Roman tradition to what is done on Mărțișor - it is simply speculation based on white and red and the coming of the New Year - every European people have new year celebrations pertaining to fertility.

Ursitoare.
    Probably a shared one with Greeks and Romans, true, but bear in mind the idea of 3 women weaving destiny is pan-European.

Keep in mind there are many obscure and unique traditions, practices and customs found only in certain parts of the country.
    Most of which with no documented Roman equivalent, found in similar forms with our neighbors.

As for Romania not being a culturally Latin country, depends what you mean by "Latin culture".

- Romania is a heavily wine-drinking country. Wine culture and wine production are part of the Romanian people’s tradition, the winery products accompanying the domestic consumers along their entire life, in ordinary moments or at festive events. To me, that's very "Latin".

- People care about appearance and like to dress up.

- Romanians nurture strong family bonds. Family is very important and large gatherings are part of our culture.

- Laissez-faire style and approach of the State.

- The second most consumed media in Romania, after the American one, is the Latin American media.
    I'll consider these half jokes. My only comment is that wine has been drank in what is now Romania before even the Greeks cared to come around.

Conclusion: Plenty of assertions that what we do is from the Romans pertains to a strange idea that Dacians just sat on their asses and did nothing, because we have little documented things. When later authors came around and started writing about shared IE traditions, calling everything "Roman" slowed down because, guess what, lots of Romanian customs are done all around Europe, especially Eastern Europe and Balkans.

I am not calling everything we do either Dacian or Slavic, but rather that what we do is in line with the rest of Europeans in various forms via our shared ancestry. Some of our traditions might even be Celtic, maybe even Scythian, but we cannot assess that.
    Just a 26.6% European individual

G25 "26.6% Austrian:Austria6 + 73.4% Romanian:G408" "0.0096"
    EU TEST 86.9% RO + 13.1% West_&_Central_German @ 4.98
    K13 56.9% Tu(ran)scan + 43.1% Ukrainian @ 4.02

Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

0 Not allowed!

Source? our funerary cult is very similar to our neighbours.
    https://istoriecrestina.wordpress.co...inmormantarii/

Most of which with no documented Roman equivalent, found in similar forms with our neighbors.
    There are certain traditions and practices with no equivalent in neighboring countries, such as the Embellished Ox performed at Rusalii

Last edited by Tommie; 10-13-2020 at 02:40 AM.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread Information