Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Am I the right skin type for blonde hair?

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 822
    Given: 5,877

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    PaleoEuropean said that gypsy is a slur in america. Ask him. He told me I should rather call myself roma, but then many americans will say they dont know what roma means.
    Interesting. I wouldn't say that Gypsy is a racial slur in America. As discussed before, there aren't many around, so it doesn't really come up. Very few here are probably aware that Roma/Romani is the preferred moniker. As you mentioned, it doesn't really make sense as they're not Roman or ethnically Romanian. What's the history behind the use of Roma/Romani? Ancient or recent designation?

I have mastered chakra and can also do romjutsu
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,167
    Given: 58,939

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ShieldWolf View Post
    Interesting. I wouldn't say that Gypsy is a racial slur in America. As discussed before, there aren't many around so it doesn't really come up. Very few are probably aware that Roma/Romani is the preferred moniker. As you mentioned, it doesn't really make sense as they're not Roman or ethnically Romanian. What's the history behind the use of Roma/Romani? Ancient or recent designation?
    I think it means man and there is a tribe in india called Dom and there are domari in middle east I think it has the same origin and just by accident sounds like Romania just like Alabama and albanian or austrian and Australian I don't think it is a conspiracy
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    "For wise and good men always feel disinclined to hurt those that are of much less strength than themselves"
    "Truth and Virtue do not necessarily belong to wealth and Power and distinctions of big mansions"
    "To abuse and insult, is inconsistent with reason and justice"
    - The Prophet of Indian Nationalism Raja Ram Mohan Roy

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 822
    Given: 5,877

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    I think it means man and there is a tribe in india called Dom and there are domari in middle east I think it has the same origin and just by accident sounds like Romania just like Alabama and albanian or austrian and Australian I don't think it is a conspiracy
    I didn't think it was a conspiracy either, just curious. I found the following on Wikipedia:

"Endonyms

Rom means man or husband in the Romani language. It has the variants dom and lom, which may be related to the Sanskrit words dam-pati (lord of the house, husband), dama (to subdue), lom (hair), lomaka (hairy), loman, roman (hairy), romaça (man with beard and long hair).[86] Another possible origin is from Sanskrit डोम doma (member of a low caste of travelling musicians and dancers)."

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/French Canadian/Ukrainian
    Ancestry
    About 1/2 British/Irish/Scottish, 1/4 French Canadian, and 1/4 Ukrainian (SW Ukraine) + a few other
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,385
    Given: 12,861

2 Not allowed!

This thread is giving me an urge to get my hair dyed platinum blonde..... .

I have mastered chakra and can also do romjutsu
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,167
    Given: 58,939

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixdguy17 View Post
    Like I said man, I have never heard it been used this way in real life before. I cannot tell u anything besides my personal experince.
    Ok man. But Im explaining you this and If you are open minded you will learn a new information you didnt know before.

If Im black and someone comes up to me mocking me a with a "black face" because Im black and I object am I a whiny idiot? The way he portrayed me because Im roma is very stereotypical charicature type, and it is not a neutral stereotype like "japanese produce good cars" it has a connotation of discrimination and centuries long persecution, apartheid and marginalisation of the roma minority (similar to the black face). Most roma dont even want to be called "Gypsies" because "Gypsy has heavily negative connotations and meanings attached to it" and many use it as slur, at least where Im from directed towards roma but also non-roma who they perceive to be "Gypsies" (think, act or live a certain way).
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    "For wise and good men always feel disinclined to hurt those that are of much less strength than themselves"
    "Truth and Virtue do not necessarily belong to wealth and Power and distinctions of big mansions"
    "To abuse and insult, is inconsistent with reason and justice"
    - The Prophet of Indian Nationalism Raja Ram Mohan Roy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information