Veteran Member XenophobicPrussian's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-09-2022 @ 08:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Baltic
    Ethnicity
    50% German, 50% Polish
    Ancestry
    Mostly north-east German, Polish, some Anglo-Canadian/English and Lithuanian.
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b, I1 or bust
    mtDNA
    H1, H3, U5 or bust
    Taxonomy
    Oberkasselid(depigmented female Australoid)
    Politics
    NW-Euro Theodor Herzlism
    Hero
    I sexually identify as Jared Taylor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,075
    Given: 1,717

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    They are saying that Ireland's 16% is possibly fully of Viking origin as is Scotland's. That would make sense because Ireland didn't get the Danish component from the Anglo-Saxons. England has a lot of Danish which looks like it is from Saxon ancestry mostly because of this difference in Swedish.

There are more Anglo-Saxon samples needed to see if this is accurate but they state that "Viking-era Danes have too much ‘Sweden’ ancestry to have contributed more than around 6% ancestry into England, whereas they could plausibly have contributed all (up to 16%) of the Scottish and Irish signal."
    but Irish probably have English ancestry so that's a moot point. Viking ancestry in Scots/Irish should be nearly all Norwegian.
    The Guanche skulls as a whole are unlike those of modern European Mediterraneans, and resemble northern European series most closely, especially those in which a brachycephalic element is present, as in Burgundian and Alemanni series.
    divided them into clearly differentiated types, which include a Mediterranean, a Nordic, a "Guanche," and an Alpine. The "Guanche" accounts for 50 per cent of the whole on the four islands of Teneriffe, Gomera, Gran Canaria, and Hierro; the Nordic for 31 per cent, the Mediterranean for 13 per cent, and the Alpine
    oldschool anthropology

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,044
    Given: 6,628

0 Not allowed!

They are saying that Ireland's 16% is possibly fully of Viking origin as is Scotland's. That would make sense because Ireland didn't get the Danish component from the Anglo-Saxons. England has a lot of Danish which looks like it is from Saxon ancestry mostly because of this difference in Swedish.

There are more Anglo-Saxon samples needed to see if this is accurate but they state that "Viking-era Danes have too much ‘Sweden’ ancestry to have contributed more than around 6% ancestry into England, whereas they could plausibly have contributed all (up to 16%) of the Scottish and Irish signal."
    But that would contradict the paper in saying that it was Norwegians who had the most influence in Ireland, 16% Danish vs 4% Norwegian in Ireland seems a bit lopsided.

That's still over 20% Germanic for Ireland nonetheless, which is more than would be predicted with Y-DNA estimates.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,588
    Given: 29,041

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    But that would contradict the paper in saying that it was Norwegians who had the most influence in Ireland, 16% Danish vs 4% Norwegian in Ireland seems a bit lopsided.

That's still over 20% Germanic for Ireland nonetheless, which is more than would be predicted with Y-DNA estimates.
    Well there is no West Norwegian Vikings in this paper so it will be interesting when some of these are released. What this paper says is that the Danish Vikings had a higher Swedish content so they reached their conclusion about England on this. The Danish in England is obviously lacking some of this Swedish component. I'm just going by what the study says as these admixture results are based on the Viking genomes but I just thought that was an interesting point about the Swedish component.

Anyway there should be more Anglo-Saxons soon and also there is another Viking study that will have West Norwegians so it should get more clearer with more of these ancient samples.

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,402
    Given: 2,646

1 Not allowed!

Is everything you thought about Vikings and the Viking Age wrong???

Here are some of my comments in the new Viking DNA paper which I am a co-author of, which was published: 16 September 2020 in Nature and titled: Population genomics of the Viking world. Is everything you thought about Vikings and the Viking Age wrong??? Well no, so this video is here to relax everyone who got taken on the bed, as the expression goes in Norway. All in all, quite a lot of people with heritage from Northern Europe seem to have Viking in us to some extent since the study confirms that Vikings travelled, settled and mixed in many places around the World.As one professor has pointed out in a comment to the study, it reinforces almost all of what we know about the Viking age. Though as a headline by one journalist who tried to say that the Viking's "reality was decidedly diverse" is just too plain and also contradictory. For my part, this exciting study has provided us with many new questions and we are now working on larger projects to follow up these.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    but Irish probably have English ancestry so that's a moot point. Viking ancestry in Scots/Irish should be nearly all Norwegian.
    Yes I agree it should be Norwegian but this is based on the Vikings they used in the study which is lacking a lot of Norwegian Vikings.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I'd also like to know if L21 was in Norway also pre-Viking age. There is quite a good amount of L21 in West Norway so this is another issue which needs to be cleared up.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    My knowledge is a little hazy but I always expected there to be a fair bit of Danish in Ireland as well considering Dublin, Wexford, Waterford etc were Danish settlements and the major battles were with Danes.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

My knowledge is a little hazy but I always expected there to be a fair bit of Danish in Ireland as well considering Dublin, Wexford, Waterford etc were Danish settlements and the major battles were with Danes.
    I guess also historically the Irish did differentiate between the Danes and Norwegians i.e. the Dubgaill and Finngaill. They do say though that it was mostly Norse that concentrated on Ireland and Scotland and it seems that is was Norse that the genomes from Ireland were although I would like to see more to clarify this.

I honestly change my mind all the time with these studies. It does look like there are a lot more coming so I'm sure in a few years we will hopefully have a much better understanding of the population history of Europe and I'm especially interested in Ireland and Britain.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I guess also historically the Irish did differentiate between the Danes and Norwegians i.e. the Dubgaill and Finngaill. They do say though that it was mostly Norse that concentrated on Ireland and Scotland and it seems that is was Norse that the genomes from Ireland were although I would like to see more to clarify this.

I honestly change my mind all the time with these studies. It does look like there are a lot more coming so I'm sure in a few years we will hopefully have a much better understanding of the population history of Europe and I'm especially interested in Ireland and Britain.
    I use studies to consolidate the opinions I already had

The general picture is increasingly clear, only the finer details need to be ironed out.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2022 @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Silves + Portimão + Ferragudo, Portugal
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Z225
    mtDNA
    H1c3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,076
    Given: 6,670

0 Not allowed!

I heard vikings actually mostly had brown/black hair as opposed to blonde. Sounds promising given that the sexual selection of fair haired women may have changed that for modern day scandanavia.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information