Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamal900 View Post
    I guess Scotland, but..apart from the welsh, Celtic peoples in general look pretty Germanic to me since well both Insular Celts and Germanic peoples derive much of their genetic ancestry from the Corded Ware culture of early Bronze age Europe which is why they're genetically very close to one another.
    The question is kinda irrelevant to genetics.

Also Genetically they are close with each other due to lower non-steppe ancestry, something that would occur to any indoeuropean speaker without much neolithic or other similar kinds of admixture, regardless from being celtic, italic slavic germanic or whatever

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by brennus dux gallorum View Post
    The question is kinda irrelevant to genetics.

Also Genetically they are close with each other due to lower non-steppe ancestry, something that would occur to any indoeuropean speaker without much neolithic or other similar kinds of admixture, regardless from being celtic, italic slavic germanic or whatever
    Well, we do have the genome from these ancient cultures, and they seem to be very close to each other and so on. As for the steppe ancestry, well, the Yamnaya culture weren't genetically fully European but rather somewhere between middle eastern and European, and that the proto-Indo-Iranians from the Sintashta culture of Eurasian steppe derive much of their ancestry from the Corded ware culture which is why the cluster with Insular Celts and Germanic peoples.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintas...lture#Genetics

Well, genes does a play a role in your phenotype and so forth, so yeah.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamal900 View Post
    I guess Scotland, but..apart from the welsh, Celtic peoples in general look pretty Germanic to me since well both Insular Celts and Germanic peoples derive much of their genetic ancestry from the Corded Ware culture of early Bronze age Europe which is why they're genetically very close to one another.
    He wasn't talking about phenotypes and genetics though. Both the Scottish and Welsh are similar in their Germanic genetic input on average 30% Anglo-Saxon with a large spread compared to 38% Germanic for the East English. There are no pure 'Celtic' people anymore at this point the distinctions are largely cultural. The Scottish etc... are only 'Celtic' relatively speaking to the Eastern English etc...in terms of genetics. I'm not sure about Irish genetics but I think modern Irish genetics are Norwegian and French Breton.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,921
    Given: 7,442

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    It has been thoroughly colonised by England to the point where its individual identity is barely there.
    Cornwall is just an English county. The whole "Corns are a nation" movement is some neo-revivalist thing based off the fact that it was the last English county where Celtic became extinct. But if you're going to call the entirely of Cornwall "Celtic" based it on it having a few speakers that lived until the 1700's, you may have as well do the same for Devon or even Cumberland. Also, in surveys on identity, most people from Cornwall identified as English first and British second (like the rest of England, barring London). It does have the largest percentage of people in England that also identify as Celtic though (but they're still a minority), probably a result of the neo-revivalist movement.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,024
    Given: 6,624

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    Cornwall is just an English county. The whole "Corns are a nation" movement is some neo-revivalist thing based off the fact that it was the last English county where Celtic became extinct. But if you're going to call the entirely of Cornwall "Celtic" based it on it having a few speakers that lived until the 1700's, you may have as well do the same for Devon or even Cumberland. Also, in surveys on identity, most people from Cornwall identified as English first and British second (like the rest of England, barring London). It does have the largest percentage of people in England that also identify as Celtic though (but they're still a minority), probably a result of the neo-revivalist movement.
    Somewhat true, Cornwall is England at the end of the day, but it's not just another county, it's unique among all England's counties. Was still Celtic until the early modern period, and retained a degree of political independence until the late Middle Ages I believe. Cornish surnames are also unique and recognisably different from English surnames.

Jeggo
    Leggo
    Bolitho
    Chegwin
    Nanscawen
    Trescothick
    Trelawny
    Penberthy
    Rescorla
    Tremayne
    Trevelyan
    Trevithick
    Penrose
    Trevarthan
    Ennis
    Tredinnick
    Baragwanath
    Pascoe

etc

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,067
    Given: 39,632

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    Somewhat true, Cornwall is England at the end of the day, but it's not just another county, it's unique among all England's counties. Was still Celtic until the early modern period, and retained a degree of political independence until the late Middle Ages I believe. Cornish surnames are also unique and recognisably different from English surnames.

Jeggo
    Leggo
    Bolitho
    Chegwin
    Nanscawen
    Trescothick
    Trelawny
    Penberthy
    Rescorla
    Tremayne
    Trevelyan
    Trevithick
    Penrose
    Trevarthan
    Ennis
    Tredinnick
    Baragwanath
    Pascoe

etc
    Pascoe is probably the only popular one of those in the states, more so here in the South and Southwest.
    Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.

Even if this were hard--that is how it is ! Assuredly, however, by far the harder fate is that which strikes the man who thinks he can overcome Nature, but in the last analysis only mocks her. Distress, misfortune, and diseases are her answer.

Kekgenes K13

1 Swahili+ Jew + Kekistani + Trailerparkistan @ 6.9420

M.T.A
    Celt + Frank (4.869)
    Viking Icelandic + Frank (5.463)
    Viking Icelandic + Celt (5.545)
    Celt + Saxon (5.789)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.283)
    Celt (6.539)
    Frank (10.13)
    Viking Icelandic (10.34)
    Viking Danish (10.4)
    Saxon (10.79)

kit 2
    Celt + Belgae (4.016)
    Viking Danish + Belgae (5.555)
    Belgae + Frank (5.797)
    Celt + Frank (6.031)
    Celt (6.297)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.441)
    Belgae (8.662)
    Viking Danish (8.925)
    Frank (9.409)
    Saxon (10.83)

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoEuropean View Post
    Pascoe is probably the only popular one of those in the states, more so here in the South and Southwest.
    I think Cornish names are a little more common here, quite a few Cornish came out here, apparently even more than Welsh, which seems hard to believe.

Other Cornish names: Teague, Nankervis, Nance, Clemens (Mark Twain's real name, he had Cornish origins), Kitto, Bligh, Coon, Eddy, Negus, Olver. Hosking/Hoskings/Hoskins is also a name I associate with Cornwall.

"By Ine, Ros, Car, Lax, Pol and Pen, you well may know all Cornish men".

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,921
    Given: 7,442

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post

Jeggo
    Leggo
    Bolitho
    Chegwin
    Nanscawen
    Trescothick
    Trelawny
    Penberthy
    Rescorla
    Tremayne
    Trevelyan
    Trevithick
    Penrose
    Trevarthan
    Ennis
    Tredinnick
    Baragwanath
    Pascoe

etc
    Any info on Cornwall being Celtic-speaking to a significant degree until the early modern period? Just cause Celtic wasn't extinct doesn't mean that the county was mainly Celtic. I just know Cornish was spoken by a few individuals until the 1700s. In the 1600s, the villages in the far western part of Cornwall (Penwith) could have been majority Cornish-speaking I suppose.

I just looked up a bunch of those names on Forebears. For most of them, their incidences peak in English counties outside Cornwall. And the surnames that peak in Cornwall are also common outside Cornwall. So they're essentially Pan-English names now.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

Anyway, I don't think most Europeans know much about the Welsh and Scottish. So what foreigners don't realize is that mainland Scottish culture is Germanic including the language and that there are more sheep than people in the highlands. Lowland Scottish culture is Germanic not celtic so I'm not sure why Scotland is considered a Celtic nation I think it's only considered 'celtic' in order to differentiate it from England but logically it is not Celtic.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    Any info on Cornwall being Celtic-speaking to a significant degree until the early modern period? Just cause Celtic wasn't extinct doesn't mean that the county was mainly Celtic. I just know Cornish was spoken by a few individuals until the 1700s. In the 1600s, the villages in the far western part of Cornwall (Penwith) could have been majority Cornish-speaking I suppose.

I just looked up a bunch of those names on Forebears. For most of them, their incidences peak in English counties outside Cornwall. And the surnames that peak in Cornwall are also common outside Cornwall. So they're essentially Pan-English names now.
    My point was that Cornwall is unique in that it only lost it's Celtic tongue a few hundred years ago, while the rest of England stopped being Celtic in the Early Middle Ages. Modern European nations including England were basically formed as ethno-linguistic entities during the Middle Ages, in which time Cornwall was still (majority) Celtic. That's why Cornwall still has it's own semi-national identity, it doesn't come from nothing.

Most of those names aren't pan-English at all, they're Cornish and they sound odd elsewhere in England. There's loads of Kelly's, McDonald's, Murphy's etc in England too, that doesn't make them pan-British/pan-British Isles names.

On the other hand lots of people think Hughes and Jones are Welsh names because they're most common there, but they're equally English and Welsh. Edwards is another that is considered Welsh despite obviously being of English origin.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information