R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,935
    Given: 7,456

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    Well I dont disagree, But there is a lot of politics involved now in how you call these people. Usually the Ottoman-Safavid dualism was used as a breaking point between Anatolian/Balkan Turks and Iranian-Turks which later got called Azerbaijani Turks.
    It seems to be mostly a coincidence that the Ottoman-Safavid borders mostly match the modern borders between the ethnic groups. If Musavat didn't steal the name "Azerbaijan", then the folks of the Republic of Azerbaijan would've probably been a separate ethnicity from Azeris proper. It's the naming scheme that keeps them together and separate from Anatolian Turks. This is also the same reason why Qashqais are considered a separate ethnic group from Azeris. After Iranian Azeris fell under the concocted "ethnic Azeri" identity started by their northern neighbors, the Qashqais became considered a distinct ethnic group (as opposed to generic "Turks") since they couldn't be considered ethnic Azerbaijani like the Turks of Iranian Azerbaijan.

If you look at the Ottoman and Safavid borders, you'll notice that Iraq was former Safavid territory but Iraqi Turkmens are grouped as part of the same ethnicity as ex-Ottoman Turks (maybe not always) and never grouped as part of the same ethnicity as ex-Safavid Azerbaijanis due to not sharing the name with them. So I don't think that has to do with it, at least not entirely.

Since you consider Shirvani Azeris and Iranian Azeris to be one people, do you also consider Turks from Iraq, Turkey, and Cyprus to be one people as well? Just wondering what your personal view on the matter is.

Oh, and there's something I forgot to add. Shirvani Azeris aren't descended from Iranic Azeris/Old Azeris (Medians). Shirvani Azeris are mostly a mix of Lezgic Albanians and Turks. I don't think Albanians would've been genetically distant to Old Azeris which would explain the similar genetics of Azeris on both sides of the river. This isn't really important in terms of ethnic identity, but I just wanted to mention that since it's a common misconception.

I also just noticed this was a genetic thread. Me and you briefly discussed Azerbaijanis in another thread and thought this was about their identity. Well it's not completely off-topic at least.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,702
    Given: 8,964

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    It seems to be mostly a coincidence that the Ottoman-Safavid borders mostly match the modern borders between the ethnic groups. If Musavat didn't steal the name "Azerbaijan", then the folks of the Republic of Azerbaijan would've probably been a separate ethnicity from Azeris proper. It's the naming scheme that keeps them together and separate from Anatolian Turks. This is also the same reason why Qashqais are considered a separate ethnic group from Azeris. After Iranian Azeris fell under the concocted "ethnic Azeri" identity started by their northern neighbors, the Qashqais became considered a distinct ethnic group (as opposed to generic "Turks") since they couldn't be considered ethnic Azerbaijani like the Turks of Iranian Azerbaijan.
    Yes "Turk" is still the best term for identification for Azerbaijanis. But if I'll tell people I'm a Turk they'll answer: "But you're not from Turkey..". Azerbaijani is used to avoid this discussion. It's also more neutral.

First off "proper Azeri" doesn't exist. Azerbaijani Turks were called Turks or Tatars in the north and "Tork/Turk" in Iran. To this day if I tell my grandmother (from Iran) that she is "Azeri" she don't know what it means. She just know that she is "Türk" and Iranian by nation.

Turks from Azerbaijan and Iran still share a lot as both languages are close together and considered dialects of the same branch of Oghuz languages.

Note: Iranians calling Azerbaijani Turks "Azeri/Azari" also has a political origin in trying to associate them with the old Iranic people of the region. I myself don't have a problem with the usage as long as people don't deny that I'm more than just "Azari". I don't deny the native element of Azerbaijani people at the same time.

The Qashqai only are not considered Azerbaijani because they don't live in Azerbaijan you are correct, however a lot of people do consider their turkish element to be Azerbaijani, so do I.

If you look at the Ottoman and Safavid borders, you'll notice that Iraq was former Safavid territory but Iraqi Turkmens are grouped as part of the same ethnicity as ex-Ottoman Turks (maybe not always) and never grouped as part of the same ethnicity as ex-Safavid Azerbaijanis due to not sharing the name with them. So I don't think that has to do with it, at least not entirely.

Since you consider Shirvani Azeris and Iranian Azeris to be one people, do you also consider Turks from Iraq, Turkey, and Cyprus to be one people as well? Just wondering what your personal view on the matter is.
    Yes. I'm not too familiar with the history of Iraqi Turkmens though, so I cant answer accordingly on this.

Oh, and there's something I forgot to add. Shirvani Azeris aren't descended from Iranic Azeris/Old Azeris (Medians). Shirvani Azeris are mostly a mix of Lezgic Albanians and Turks. I don't think Albanians would've been genetically distant to Old Azeris which would explain the similar genetics of Azeris on both sides of the river. This isn't really important in terms of ethnic identity, but I just wanted to mention that since it's a common misconception.

I also just noticed this was a genetic thread. Me and you briefly discussed Azerbaijanis in another thread and thought this was about their identity. Well it's not completely off-topic at least.
    A lot of tribes in Azerbaijan Rep. migrated from Iran into the region and vice versa. I don't know why you keep trying to seperate them. On top of that there were a lot of Iranic tribes living in Shirvan. We don't know much about Shirvan DNA. All autosomal testing (for now) suggests that Azerbaijani Rep. and from Iran are the same people and that strongest non-turkic element in Az.Rep is also Iranian like. The reddits post also goes into this issue a bit. Real Caucasus like elements can only be found in Daghestan Azerbaijanis and people from the northern fringes of Azerbaijan. I suspect Caucasian Albanians to be Iranian influenced. Maybe like an intermediate between Armenians and Talysh. This is also what DNA results of the Udin people show who are nowhere near Lezgins for example. However even with this assumption modern Republic Azerbaijanis (on average) seem to be additionally Iranian influenced genetically.

Here are the both groups seperated in G25:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...i-G25-averages
    Last edited by Kyp; 09-29-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Bender1999

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    Well I dont disagree, But there is a lot of politics involved now in how you call these people. Usually the Ottoman-Safavid dualism was used as a breaking point between Anatolian/Balkan Turks and Iranian-Turks which later got called Azerbaijani Turks.

Recent history obviously has furthered the differences between the groups.
    Btw were there Turkmen riots against Safevids like in Ottoman empire?

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,935
    Given: 7,456

1 Not allowed!

You're right, it wouldn't be too appropriate to call yourself only a Turk cause it would confuse people. I was just asking about your personal feelings on the topic of their identity, not what they should publicly introduce themselves as to outsiders.

I'm aware of migrations between the two regions called Azerbaijan. Internal migrations happen in all states. With cultures as close as their's, it's expected to be more common. I was speaking in a generalized sense in response to the people that think Shirvan was Iranic prior to Turkification.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bender1999 View Post
    Btw were there Turkmen riots against Safevids like in Ottoman empire?
    Not riots, but the Turkmen killed a couple of Persian officials who were appointed to controll the Turkmens by the Safavid Shahs. They were expelled into Azerbaijan region afterwards (some chiefs also were killed). This is also why Turkmens lost influence fast during Safavid time.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    You're right, it wouldn't be too appropriate to call yourself only a Turk cause it would confuse people. I was just asking about your personal feelings on the topic of their identity, not what they should publicly introduce themselves as to outsiders.

I'm aware of migrations between the two regions called Azerbaijan. Internal migrations happen in all states. With cultures as close as their's, it's expected to be more common. I was speaking in a generalized sense in response to the people that think Shirvan was Iranic prior to Turkification.
    Here are North & South Azerbaijanis seperated in G25
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...i-G25-averages

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    me
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    R1a > YP1337 > R-BY160486*
    mtDNA
    H3*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,243
    Given: 2,623

0 Not allowed!

I disagree that there is no regional breakdown among Azeris. PCA in K36.

"Azeri_western" is Agdzhabedi
    "Azeri_NE" is Khachmaz
    "Azeri" is probably Baku (usual average for them in calcs)

So we see "Azeri_NE" is shifted toward Azeri_Dagestan and they shifted toward Tat and toward Dagestan per se.
    "Azeri_west" is just more close to "Azeri_Kars" so really more western.
    Baku "Azeri" and "Iran_Azeri" are quite close to Talysh.

The same for Armenians. "ARM_Karabakh" is closer to "Azeri_West" comparing to other Armenian regional refs. Although still generally distant of course.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I disagree there is no regional breakdown among Azeris. PCA in K36.

"Azeri_western" is Agdzhabedi
    "Azeri_NE" is Khachmaz
    "Azeri" is probably Baku (usual average for them in calcs)

So we see "Azeri_NE" is shifted toward Azeri_Dagestan and they shifted toward Tat and toward Dagestan per se.
    "Azeri_west" is just more close to "Azeri_Kars" so really more western.
    Baku "Azeri" and "Iran_Azeri" are quite close to Talysh.

I didn't say there is not variation at all. Especially Dagestan Azerbaijanis are far from the rest. They have a pretty good fit between regular Azerbaijani (75%) and Lezgins (25%).
    Regional variations are to be expected.

Also I think that Tat result is some kind of assimilated or mixed Dagestani, since Tats live in Northeast. However I doubt this is what Tats from Iran would score.
    Last edited by Kyp; 09-29-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information