Thread: Women in the historic Azerbaijan (Aq Qoyunlu, Safavid & Atabay periods)

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,702
    Given: 8,964

8 Not allowed!

Default Women in the historic Azerbaijan (Aq Qoyunlu, Safavid & Atabay periods)

https://irs-az.com/new/files/2019/265/3073.pdf

Considering the issue on women’s role in the medieval history of the Azerbaijani state allows making a conclusion that women have always held a special place in Azerbaijan’s political history. These in-cluded diplomats, warriors politicians and poetesses, as well as ordinary personalities who carried out grand pa-latial schemes, which at times altered or influenced the course of history to some extent.
    The ten most prominent female personalities in the national history and culture would probably include, among others, Momine Khatun, Inanj Khatun, Malika Jalaliyye, Sara Khatun, Tajlu Begim, Peri Khan Khatun (Shah Ismail’s daughter), Peri Khan Khanim (Shah Tahmasib’s daughter), Hajar Khanim, as well as poetess-es Mahsati Ganjavi and Khurshidbanu Natavan.
    Most prominent figures:

1. Momine Khatun (Eldiguzid wife of Atabeg of Naxcivan, 12th century)

2. Inanj Khatun (wife of the Seljuk Amir of Ray in Northern Iran)
    3. Malika Jalaliyye
    4. Sara Khatun (Turkoman from Bayindir-clan, diplomat and mother of Aq Qoyunlu leader Uzun Hassan, 15th century)

5. Tajlu Begum "Shah Begi-Khanum" (Turkoman princess and principal wife of Shah Ismail the Shah of the Iranian Safavid Empire, Mother of Shah Tahmasp, 15-16th century)

6. Pari Khan Soltan (Daughter of Shah Ismail and Tajlu Begum)
    7. Pari Khan Khanum (Daughter of Shah Tahmasp and his Circassian consort)

8. Hajar Khanum
    9. Mahsati Ganjavi (Persian poeteess from Ganja, Azerbaijan, 11th century)

10. Khurshidbanu Natavan (Turkish and Persian poetess, daughter of Mehdigoli Khan Javanshir, the last ruler of the Karabkah Khanate from the Turkoman Afshar-clan)
    Last edited by Kyp; 10-13-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Sara Khatun was a skilful diplomat and headed embassies for the purpose of regulating disputed issues. Sara Khatun was also famous in the west, ambassadors of foreign countries often took advantage from her influence on her son (Uzun Hassan). Negotiations with Mehmed II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire were especially successful.

During these negotiations Mehmed II and Sara Khatun called each other “mother” and “son”.

Bender1999

0 Not allowed!

Maybe a bit off topic but which position Azerbaijani women do have nowadays? Do they have the same issues like Anatolian Turkish woman?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bender1999 View Post
    Maybe a bit off topic but which position Azerbaijani women do have nowadays? Do they have the same issues like Anatolian Turkish woman?
    I don't know if I want to go into that. In Iran it's obviously bad. I don't know about Republic it's probably similar to Turkey in that aspect. Actually I can't really say much about both as I don't live there.
    Last edited by Kyp; 10-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Persian-Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    Iranid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,723
    Given: 5,101

0 Not allowed!

Same as everyone else in Iran. Heavy economic sanctions and little to no rights.

Bender1999

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    I don't know if I want to go into that. In Iran it's obviously bad. I don't know about Republic it's probably similar to Turkey in that aspect. Actually I can't really say much about both as I don't live there.
    I just know from the father of my brother in law that the Shias are very religious and hardcore conservative in his homeprovince, maybe it is normal since it is literally the most eastern province and very rural. The Republican Azerbaijanis appear to be very western, but i just see the „good“ faces of this country. The wife of our family doctor works with him and i think there is no difference regarding the position of women to Europeans(she is an Iranian Azerbaijani and he is an Iranian)

Quote Originally Posted by Babak View Post
    Same as everyone else in Iran. Heavy economic sanctions and little to no rights.
    Sure, but for example i see different groups have different behavior and family structures. I don’t know Azerbaijanis here, for example Iranians(ethnic Persians) are more like Turks, from very traditional to a bit westernized. Kurds are very tribal and conservative regarding womens position. That Iranian people suffer from sanctions and internal problems is obvious, unfortunately.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I just know from the father of my brother in law that the Shias are very religious and hardcore conservative in his homeprovince, maybe it is normal since it is literally the most eastern province and very rural. The Republican Azerbaijanis appear to be very western, but i just see the „good“ faces of this country. The wife of our family doctor works with him and i think there is no difference regarding the position of women to Europeans(she is an Iranian Azerbaijani and he is an Iranian)

Sure, but for example i see different groups have different behavior and family structures. I don’t know Azerbaijanis here, for example Iranians(ethnic Persians) are more like Turks, from very traditional to a bit westernized. Kurds are very tribal and conservative regarding womens position. That Iranian people suffer from sanctions and internal problems is obvious, unfortunately.
    Azerbaijanis in Iran are similar to Persians I would say. Yes there is the stereotype of them being very conservative, but I don't think it's true. A lot of secularist movements had origins in Azerbaijan region too especially Tebriz. Also Azerbaijanis are not tribal anymore.

My aunt told me that in Iran it used to be that the cities were more conservative than the rural people (in Azerbaijan) because the Islamic centres were in the cities.

Basically there is a split between secular and conservative people like in most regions. Anyway let's not get too deep into the off-topic.
    Last edited by Kyp; 10-13-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Last Online
    08-26-2022 @ 04:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Isu god
    Ethnicity
    The 13th tribe
    Ancestry
    Birthplace of mankind (Hyperborean J2 factory - Atlantis)
    Country
    Kyrgyzstan
    Y-DNA
    Sumer-Hyperborea-Altai (J2)
    mtDNA
    non-j2 farmer women
    Taxonomy
    Ascended
    Politics
    J2 world slavery
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,106
    Given: 3,279

2 Not allowed!

Azeris in Iran at least are maybe only 5% more socially conservative than Persians, nowhere near the level of Kurds or Arabs in that sense. Most of them are probably even more liberal than Persians from eastern parts as well, but slightly less than central ones.

Last Online
    05-12-2022 @ 07:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South-west mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Moroccan
    Country
    Morocco
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!