Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do Greeks try and claim Pontics?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,536
    Given: 899

0 Not allowed!

Default Why do Greeks try and claim Pontics?

Another dead honest question.

As many of you all know my family is Pontic Greek and Greek from Thrace. While I speak a good bit of Pontic Greek, and a good bit of Greek.

I have never imagined myself being really Greek, when I was younger my family taught me to love Greece and what not, but now that I am 22, I only feel ever more distant from actually feeling Greek. I feel like my families Pontic culture differs quite a bit from my mainland Greek family culture in certain ways, and the history through text books to my families stories especially from my Pontic roots really presses the fact that it makes me feel less Greek.

I know I trolled a lot a 3-4 years ago about this whole Greek ancestry thing and acting Turkish and Albanian, but in all seriousness, I do not see why there is that distinction of Pontic Greek. Pontus I feel is its own thing.

Maybe I have been in America too long, I do not know. I used to feel super passionate about Greece, but over time and studying a lot of Anatolian culture and history, I feel ever so more distant. Maybe it is a personal thing, I know a lot of Pontic's went to Greece during the population exchange like my family did, but I do not feel that is a reason to all of a sudden "become" Greek.

Anyone care to inform me how I am wrong? Food for thought I guess, feeling in my vibes tonight

Last Online
    01-18-2024 @ 05:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    KRD
    Ancestry
    Karda | Kurtî | Kardox | Corduene | Kartawaye
    Country
    Saudi-Arabia
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,517
    Given: 913

1 Not allowed!

my broski king niko

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

2 Not allowed!

Because Pontic Greeks identify themselves as Greeks? Come on, man. That doesn't make them less Greek just because they're predominately west asiatics genetically which is true for Greek Cypriots(the former cluster with Georgians and Turks while the latter with Levantines, namely Druze and Syrian Jews, and both have around 25% Mycenaean Greek ancestry by average).

Banned
    Last Online
    04-04-2021 @ 07:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Circassian(Adyghe)+1/2 Trabzon East
    Country
    Adyghea
    Y-DNA
    G-L1266
    Taxonomy
    Some say Very Caucasian looking, some say Atlanto-med+Dinarid+CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,137
    Given: 1,035

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by King Niko View Post

As many of you all know my family is Pontic Greek and Greek from Thrace. While I speak a good bit of Pontic Greek, and a good bit of Greek.

I have never imagined myself being really Greek, when I was younger my family taught me to love Greece and what not, but now that I am 22, I only feel ever more distant from actually feeling Greek. I feel like my families Pontic culture differs quite a bit from my mainland Greek family culture in certain ways, and the history through text books to my families stories especially from my Pontic roots really presses the fact that it makes me feel less Greek.

I know I trolled a lot a 3-4 years ago about this whole Greek ancestry thing and acting Turkish and Albanian, but in all seriousness, I do not see why there is that distinction of Pontic Greek. Pontus I feel is its own thing.

Maybe I have been in America too long, I do not know. I used to feel super passionate about Greece, but over time and studying a lot of Anatolian culture and history, I feel ever so more distant. Maybe it is a personal thing, I know a lot of Pontic's went to Greece during the population exchange like my family did, but I do not feel that is a reason to all of a sudden "become" Greek.

Anyone care to inform me how I am wrong? Food for thought I guess, feeling in my vibes tonight
    Where was your family from in Turkey before exchange?

Rgvgjhvv

0 Not allowed!

Knob head lol. Another great thread man keep shitting it up

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-29-2023 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,082
    Given: 2,784

1 Not allowed!

1.Pontian Hellenism is as old as Athens and Sparta ,that's like asking why do we claim those.
    2.Geography kept them cut off from the rest of Hellenism , it's only logical that they'd develop distinct qualities ,preserve older Greek ones ,have different influences.

Either way ,If you don't feel a connection to Greece and you aren't planning to return then I don't see why you tire yourself with these things , you could just become assimilated and a proud American.

Ortho Alpha Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Roman Orthodox Christian
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Olive Farmers&Fishermen
    Country
    Great Britain
    Taxonomy
    Greek Alpha
    Politics
    Goy resistance movement
    Religion
    Albanian Zen
    Relationship Status
    Part time lover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,069
    Given: 14,258

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by King Niko View Post

You are the same person as KingOf?
    No?

I feel like my families Pontic culture differs quite a bit from my mainland Greek family culture in certain ways, and the history through text books to my families stories especially from my Pontic roots really presses the fact that it makes me feel less Greek.
    Cretan culture differs from Mainland Greek culture too but Cretans are Greek to the bone if not even more Greek than alot
    of Mainland Greeks.
    And they don't like Turks in Crete or want to be Turkish neither Albanians this i can tell you!
    The Talmud tells us that the only language the Torah could be translated into elegantly is Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    Demons don't scare me.
    Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    They should be scared of me.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamal900 View Post
    Because Pontic Greeks identify themselves as Greeks? Come on, man. That doesn't make them less Greek just because they're predominately west asiatics genetically which is true for Greek Cypriots(the former cluster with Georgians and Turks while the latter with Levantines, namely Druze and Syrian Jews, and both have around 25% Mycenaean Greek ancestry by average).
    See though, most of my family speaks Greek, and Pontic dialect at least the older generation did on the latter, but a lot of my family when they came to the states did not teach their children Greek. Maybe my family is far and few between. I just always felt like in limbo between feeling Greek or Turkish nationalistically speaking where I would call home. Yes I know what Turks did, no it was not okay, horrible my family suffered a lot through it. However the fact still stands of the situation I am facing. So I suppose I see your point. I guess the group has a whole has just over time indirectly became labeled as Greek through the process of the suffering put through by the Turks.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RatCat View Post
    Where was your family from in Turkey before exchange?
    From what they told me Trabzon and nearby Trabzon. My great pappou was incarcerated during the war and was stuck in a Turkish prison and broke out and escaped and went straight to America the rest of the family for the most part settled in Thrace.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    1.Pontian Hellenism is as old as Athens and Sparta ,that's like asking why do we claim those.
    2.Geography kept them cut off from the rest of Hellenism , it's only logical that they'd develop distinct qualities ,preserve older Greek ones ,have different influences.

Either way ,If you don't feel a connection to Greece and you aren't planning to return then I don't see why you tire yourself with these things , you could just become assimilated and a proud American.
    I have dual citizenship with Greece and USA. I am not necessarily a proud American, but I am privileged for what USA has offered me and my family from where they came from and suffering.

I suppose you are right about the claiming part, I guess its a more unique traditional mindset that differs it from mainland Hellenism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information