Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: but for real, Immigration to Turkey?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,536
    Given: 899

1 Not allowed!

Default but for real, Immigration to Turkey?

What is the general atmosphere handled towards Greeks? Especially towards Romeyka? Just curious.
    I have always been on the fighting side to move to Trebizond or Trabzon and living where my family lived for generations.

No I do not want the speech on how "Oh we treat yall perfect and clean your shoes" or "stay the fuck out of my country gayreek".

Nah do most Turks even care nowadays or what is the general atmosphere? I really want to visit first of course obviously, but want to gather information.

I know Turkey allows multiple citizenships so I am not worried on that case to create an issue with my American passport.
    Any help would be deeply appreciated.

I want to live somewhere else, I know the politics stirring in the far east for me but this is saying it does not become a war zone over there in the oncoming year lol

Waiting for Dragon Age Dreadwolf & Berserk Radimir's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 07:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    God hand
    Country
    Vatican City
    Taxonomy
    Bishōnen
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, my mother and Griffith from Berserk
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 936
    Given: 3,026

1 Not allowed!

The difference between a Greek and a Turk is this, one's Orthodox and the other is Muslim.

Last Online
    05-27-2023 @ 02:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,802
    Given: 5,812

1 Not allowed!

You can move in Izmir, Trabzon is not all that a great place except for the nature

Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 50

1 Not allowed!

You'll find your turkish muslim cousins there. Some villages speak Romeyka in the Of/Caykara valley. There are two villages in Caykara, one who had been muslim and turkish since the 16th century, then another who is romeyka speaking and muslim, genetically they don't differ.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryujin View Post
    You can move in Izmir, Trabzon is not all that a great place except for the nature
    I hate to be the devils advocate,

I would love Izmir, but Turks in that area do not still feel bad blood in the normal scheme of life against Greeks there? I know that was a hot spot in history between Greece and Turkey. Yes my family has a lot of Anatolian blood so I would fit in. I have been studying Turkish for the past year, sadly not as active as I visioned but I am getting there lol before I steer off though, I really want a house in the states and somewhere in Turkey, somewhere near my families historical roots. anywhere in Turkey would do that for me. I just want the idea of being safe where I live and not persecuted. I have faced racism in real life through friends and with myself and it sucks. So I just ask out of curiosity. The general majority of Turks I see or have spoken too, either love or hate Erdogan, and even the ones that were not grey wolves (never spoke to them lol) had the idea that "This is how I see history; You see history through your nations eyes" which I can understand and all of them were respectful and carried no bad blood or cutthroat ideas towards me due to being Pontic

Last Online
    05-27-2023 @ 02:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,802
    Given: 5,812

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by King Niko View Post
    I hate to be the devils advocate,

I would love Izmir, but Turks in that area do not still feel bad blood in the normal scheme of life against Greeks there? I know that was a hot spot in history between Greece and Turkey. Yes my family has a lot of Anatolian blood so I would fit in. I have been studying Turkish for the past year, sadly not as active as I visioned but I am getting there lol before I steer off though, I really want a house in the states and somewhere in Turkey, somewhere near my families historical roots. anywhere in Turkey would do that for me. I just want the idea of being safe where I live and not persecuted. I have faced racism in real life through friends and with myself and it sucks. So I just ask out of curiosity. The general majority of Turks I see or have spoken too, either love or hate Erdogan, and even the ones that were not grey wolves (never spoke to them lol) had the idea that "This is how I see history; You see history through your nations eyes" which I can understand and all of them were respectful and carried no bad blood or cutthroat ideas towards me due to being Pontic
    No, people here are quite liberal, many people visit the Aegean Islands and Greeks also visit Izmir. I can guarantee that being a Greek won't be a problem for you in Izmir. It is the stronghold of liberalism and secular way of life as well as opposition to Erdogan.

As for Trabzon; it is a more nationalistic place and strong supporter of Erdogan, despite the Pontic past but no one will hate you just because you are Greek, Sure you can face discrimination but this happens in all parts of the world, if you have money and buy real estete it won't be a problem. Greek football players come here and play in the Turkish league without any problem.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    You'll find your turkish muslim cousins there. Some villages speak Romeyka in the Of/Caykara valley. There are two villages in Caykara, one who had been muslim and turkish since the 16th century, then another who is romeyka speaking and muslim, genetically they don't differ.
    Maybe super long lost cousins, my family was heavy Orthodox they named their children Sava, Christ, etc., and yes even living under the Ottomans they did. So maybe if they gave up their first born sons through Devshirme, but considering my family was east in Anatolia I do not know how much that would impact them only due to my lack of knowledge on Pontic Greek history as I was only ever taught what my family taught me. That was never really brought up.

My family has birth records to the 1400th century showing my past family members names, place of birth, and time/place of death. Nothing ever came up as Muslim but that could be also a choice to not keep it listed.

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,136
    Given: 9,066

0 Not allowed!

Lel, why would a GR like to move to Kebab.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryujin View Post
    No, people here are quite liberal, many people visit the Aegean Islands and Greeks also visit Izmir. I can guarantee that being a Greek won't be a problem for you in Izmir. It is the stronghold of liberalism and secular way of life as well as opposition to Erdogan.

As for Trabzon; it is a more nationalistic place and strong supporter of Erdogan, despite the Pontic past but no one will hate you just because you are Greek, Sure you can face discrimination but this happens in all parts of the world, if you have money and buy real estete it won't be a problem. Greek football players come here and play in the Turkish league without any problem.
    Dude you have been super helpful thank you

I am glad, I figured that was the case but asking someone in a realist manner to just know is better. Izmir is always been a place I fancied. It has lots of history, close enough to Greece I can visit my family in Thrace, but in a nation that has a decent economy and political weight to defend itself. I love Greece and all, I even have dual-citizenship even though I have only been a couple times. Just economically it does not seem right for me.

That is crazy Trabzon is that nationalistic? I suppose it would make sense due to the history there and it being further east. Yeah discrimination would be a possibility anywhere. I would not wave a Greek flag, or bring negative attention to myself. I would just live my life haha I am 22 I plan on buying a house here in the states first which I am hoping to own one within next year, then I will look and start my visits to Turkey.

You are the best man you answered a lot of my questions for me!

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    Lel, why would a GR like to move to Kebab.
    Economics, family ties, I am not a political nationalist. Yes Greece needs a far right government to get a handle for itself, but I am not going to indulge myself in a crippled economy. I am building my future family, that is what is important to me. Finishing my Cyber Security degree gives me a ton of opportunity and possibility of living anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information