Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,536
    Given: 899

1 Not allowed!

Default Planning on visiting Macedonia

I am about to purchase my tickets to fly either in Spring or summer of 2021. I wanted to go in fall, but it looks like with work it wont work out as well as I would hope.

I plan on staying in Skopje but want to travel to Bitola, Ohrid and stop by and see some family in Kavala, Greece. I want to allocate a week or week 1/2 without sleeping too much about 4 hours a night I think it is possible. It will be a lot I already know.

Any tips from Macedonian users or plan of attack I should keep in mind while I travel through? I might be traveling alone or with one other person it is not really set in stone with them.

I know I need to study up on my Macedonian. I know basics, will English be a barrier or do most Macedonian's know basic English for a mixture of both languages to assist me in getting by?

Will I fit in looks wise or will I stick out like a sore thumb? (Avatar is me)

What are non-tourist spots that would be beautiful, such as small towns, off the beaten path a little, etc. I could look for?

I really want this trip to go super well, because I am looking at buying real estate in Europe or Turkey. I saw several "flats" for about $40k usd and will plan on buying one in two years or so if I enjoy my trip.

This is not a shitpost, this is a real deal serious thing for me. Any help would be appreciated. If you want to direct message me or talk somewhere more in private and more real time, I am open.

with all the joking I put on this forum, putting that aside, I love Macedonia as a country, its flag represents a lively attitude and something beautiful to look at, a lot of the pictures I have seen makes it look amazing, a lot of the people seem truly intriguing and friendly.

like I said if the trip is what I want, I will invest in real estate to live there part of the year more than likely in 3-6 month intervals, as my job will be remote location and allows me to work from home.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. I would like to hear what natives, or people who moved there, or who have even visited.
    Once again Thank You.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2024 @ 09:25 PM
    South land of the Holy Spirit (Australia)
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Saint John, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Justin Martyr
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,437
    Given: 5,645

1 Not allowed!

Hey Niko,

When in Skopje, you should go up mount Vodno to the millennium cross using the cable car. Nice views of the city and the surrounds.

Alot of other things are situated quite central like the old Bazzar and Kale fortress. City center in general.

I also suggest going to the Matka canyon with it's church and cave. Have a look at pics on google.

Should take you a day or two to see all the main sights in Skopje.

Bitola is mainly just the central areas like the main shopping street called the Shirok Sokak. And not far from the center is the ancient ruins of Heraclea Lyncestis.

Ohrid, well, you are going to probably need 2 days to see everything there. So many historical sights in such a small place. I recommend Saint Naum monastery on the shore of lake Ohrid.

Cheap to get around. Just use a taxi at the local taxi rank and they are cheap. Republic of Macedonia is a cheap country for people with Euro's US and Aussie dollar etc.

As for your looks, you will pass like a local with no issue.

Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 05:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bulgar
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Byzantine + Scythian (5.528) Seleucid + Scythian (5.695) Seleucid + Gaul (7.389) Byzantine + Gaul
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    E-FTD7860 / maternal grandparents I-p37, J-M172
    mtDNA
    J1c-C16261T
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Religion
    Orthodoxy Christianity
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,896
    Given: 1,003

1 Not allowed!

all the major sights and places that everyone who visits Skopje should see.
    1. Kale - Fortress of Justinian I It is believed that the area of ​​the fortress Kale, known as Skopje Kale, was inhabited during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age, as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds. The fortress itself dates back to the time of Emperor Justinian I (535). Due to its strategic position and role, the fortress throughout history has often been attacked and used by various conquerors. After the collapse of the kingdom of Samuel (1018), the city was conquered by the rebels of Peter Delyan (1014-1041). He was then attacked by the Cumans, Scythians, Pechenegs and others. Various archeological remains have been found on Calais. Today, the Skopje fortress of Kale is one of the most remarkable sites in Skopje, with a number of different cultural and tourist motifs.
    2. The stone bridge as a symbol of Skopje from the XV century The stone bridge over the river Vardar was built in the first half of the XV century. The bridge connects the old with the new part of the city. The sidewalks were built in 1905, and in the last decade of the XX century it was completely renovated.
    3. Memorial - house of Mother Teresa Dedicated to the great humanist Agnes Gonja Boyajiu - Mother Teresa, born in Skopje, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979
    4. Daut Pasha Hammam, an impressive monument of Islamic architecture and art gallery Daut Pasha Hammam is a bath built in the 15th century by the Grand Vizier of Rumelia. It was probably built by masters of the famous school of masons in Debar. Built in the center of Skopje, a hundred meters from the Stone Bridge, the most striking part is the roof, consisting of 13 unevenly distributed domes. Inside there are 15 rooms, different in size, interconnected by arched corridors decorated with oriental ornaments.
    6. Kurshumli Khan is a recognizable historical heritage of Skopje. Kurshumli Khan (lead khan) is supposed to have been built in the middle of the 16th century.
    5. The Mustafa Pasha Mosque is one of the most magnificent buildings of the Ottoman period in Skopje, built by the commander of Skopje, Mustafa Pasha in 1492. It is located opposite the entrance to the Skopje Fortress. The mosque is basically a fourth architectural pedestal, built of marble blocks decorated with various ornaments. The minaret is built of limestone blocks. In this mosque there is a richly decorated sarcophagus of Uma - the daughter of the builder of the mosque, then a fountain, the remains of the former imarets, madrassas and more
    6. The clock tower is the first tower in the Ottoman Empire dating from the middle of the XVI century, more precisely from the period from 1566 to 1572. It is considered the first clock tower in the Ottoman Empire, as part of the Sultan - Muratov Mosque. It is 40 meters high and consists of several parts ending in a dome. The clock was lost during the 1963 earthquake in Skopje, when the tower was severely damaged. Today it attracts a lot of attention with its landmark.
    7. The Church of St. Saved one of the most beautiful washing carvings
    8. Monastery of St. Panteleimon, Gorno Nerezi (XII century)
    This monastery has the most important value of the frescoes in Macedonia and one of the most valuable works of European church painting. In this monastery began the Renaissance in frescoes, almost a century and a half before the emergence of the Renaissance in Italy of Giotto. The monastery was built in 1164 during the Byzantine dynasty "Komneni". This is written on the marble slab placed above the front door. The best masters and artists of their time have done their best work. It is built of stone and bricks, in the form of an inscribed cross in a rectangular space and five domes. This monastery is part of all important encyclopedic publications on culture and art in the world.
    ...Even if a man lives well, he dies and another one comes into existence. Let the one who comes later upon seeing this inscription remember the one who had made it. And the name is Omurtag, Kanasubigi.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
    Last Online
    08-24-2021 @ 02:54 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macédonien
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 36

0 Not allowed!

Since you are from Kavala see Kavala and Greece that is where you belong

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vojnik View Post
    Hey Niko,

When in Skopje, you should go up mount Vodno to the millennium cross using the cable car. Nice views of the city and the surrounds.

Alot of other things are situated quite central like the old Bazzar and Kale fortress. City center in general.

I also suggest going to the Matka canyon with it's church and cave. Have a look at pics on google.

Should take you a day or two to see all the main sights in Skopje.

Bitola is mainly just the central areas like the main shopping street called the Shirok Sokak. And not far from the center is the ancient ruins of Heraclea Lyncestis.

Ohrid, well, you are going to probably need 2 days to see everything there. So many historical sights in such a small place. I recommend Saint Naum monastery on the shore of lake Ohrid.

Cheap to get around. Just use a taxi at the local taxi rank and they are cheap. Republic of Macedonia is a cheap country for people with Euro's US and Aussie dollar etc.

As for your looks, you will pass like a local with no issue.
    AWESOME!! YOU ARE THE BEST!! THANK YOU

When I visit I will go with about $1,000-$2,000 USD for spending on food, taxi fare and whatever I want. (Flight and hotel will already be paid for).

I have noted all of this stuff in my notepad I looked up a good bit of this and I am already obsessed haha I want to visit because my job lets me work from home and anywhere in the world. I have always been obsessed with Macedonia and have always loved the idea of where it is located and all the history involved in the area, politics aside it looks beautiful and amazing people.

That is further down the road all your information is perfect

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PAGANE View Post
    all the major sights and places that everyone who visits Skopje should see.
    1. Kale - Fortress of Justinian I It is believed that the area of ​​the fortress Kale, known as Skopje Kale, was inhabited during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age, as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds. The fortress itself dates back to the time of Emperor Justinian I (535). Due to its strategic position and role, the fortress throughout history has often been attacked and used by various conquerors. After the collapse of the kingdom of Samuel (1018), the city was conquered by the rebels of Peter Delyan (1014-1041). He was then attacked by the Cumans, Scythians, Pechenegs and others. Various archeological remains have been found on Calais. Today, the Skopje fortress of Kale is one of the most remarkable sites in Skopje, with a number of different cultural and tourist motifs.
    2. The stone bridge as a symbol of Skopje from the XV century The stone bridge over the river Vardar was built in the first half of the XV century. The bridge connects the old with the new part of the city. The sidewalks were built in 1905, and in the last decade of the XX century it was completely renovated.
    3. Memorial - house of Mother Teresa Dedicated to the great humanist Agnes Gonja Boyajiu - Mother Teresa, born in Skopje, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979
    4. Daut Pasha Hammam, an impressive monument of Islamic architecture and art gallery Daut Pasha Hammam is a bath built in the 15th century by the Grand Vizier of Rumelia. It was probably built by masters of the famous school of masons in Debar. Built in the center of Skopje, a hundred meters from the Stone Bridge, the most striking part is the roof, consisting of 13 unevenly distributed domes. Inside there are 15 rooms, different in size, interconnected by arched corridors decorated with oriental ornaments.
    6. Kurshumli Khan is a recognizable historical heritage of Skopje. Kurshumli Khan (lead khan) is supposed to have been built in the middle of the 16th century.
    5. The Mustafa Pasha Mosque is one of the most magnificent buildings of the Ottoman period in Skopje, built by the commander of Skopje, Mustafa Pasha in 1492. It is located opposite the entrance to the Skopje Fortress. The mosque is basically a fourth architectural pedestal, built of marble blocks decorated with various ornaments. The minaret is built of limestone blocks. In this mosque there is a richly decorated sarcophagus of Uma - the daughter of the builder of the mosque, then a fountain, the remains of the former imarets, madrassas and more
    6. The clock tower is the first tower in the Ottoman Empire dating from the middle of the XVI century, more precisely from the period from 1566 to 1572. It is considered the first clock tower in the Ottoman Empire, as part of the Sultan - Muratov Mosque. It is 40 meters high and consists of several parts ending in a dome. The clock was lost during the 1963 earthquake in Skopje, when the tower was severely damaged. Today it attracts a lot of attention with its landmark.
    7. The Church of St. Saved one of the most beautiful washing carvings
    8. Monastery of St. Panteleimon, Gorno Nerezi (XII century)
    This monastery has the most important value of the frescoes in Macedonia and one of the most valuable works of European church painting. In this monastery began the Renaissance in frescoes, almost a century and a half before the emergence of the Renaissance in Italy of Giotto. The monastery was built in 1164 during the Byzantine dynasty "Komneni". This is written on the marble slab placed above the front door. The best masters and artists of their time have done their best work. It is built of stone and bricks, in the form of an inscribed cross in a rectangular space and five domes. This monastery is part of all important encyclopedic publications on culture and art in the world.
    Thank you for this information!

I have noted all this down as well. My girlfriend would love a lot of the churches and other cute stuff This excited me I am so ready to go and see all of this, thank you for all of this information. I bet all of these locations are beautiful and carry so much history, so much only views can fully begin to grasp the level of it all! I am so ready to go to all these beautiful places.

Once again thank you!! You are AMAZING!!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2024 @ 09:25 PM
    South land of the Holy Spirit (Australia)
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Saint John, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Justin Martyr
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,437
    Given: 5,645

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaArgus1 View Post
    What a stupid statement to make. Shame on you.

Last Online
    07-10-2023 @ 09:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Vatican City
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,506
    Given: 1,296

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaArgus1 View Post
    Rude

Last Online
    08-14-2021 @ 09:13 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 31

2 Not allowed!

This is a good channel for macedonian villages. Underrated places, very little people know's for macedonian villages. Rural tourisam i think's have a good perspective.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DiscoverMacedonia/videos

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
    Last Online
    08-24-2021 @ 02:54 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macédonien
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 36

0 Not allowed!

I want just to be realist Macedonia what I know is dying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information