Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fellow lifters, what is your max bench?

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,279
    Given: 39,691

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbowman View Post
    Single rep max, no idea. I'm currently on 5x5 127.5kg, which is just a tad over 280lbs if my maths is good. I might be able to squeeze one out at 150kg if I tried but I have no interest in doing so. I've done 130 before, no more than that.

Current weight 80kg/176lbs.
    Now 140kg 5*5 (working on), so very confident I could get in the 150s.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Last Online
    05-05-2024 @ 10:17 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moro Terrone Guancho Pancho
    Ethnicity
    Italian and Venezuelan
    Ancestry
    Father: Sicilian (Bronte, Catania). Mother: Venezuelan Spaniards and Mestizos
    Country
    Venezuela
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    likely J2, e1b1b or R1b
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    EL MARENGUISMO.
    Hero
    Lesní and Jonatan David Marengo.
    Religion
    Gang Penis
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 231

1 Not allowed!

I don't do single rep max, nor 5x5. This week I did 60kg 3x12, could probably do more by now but I missed chest day like the first 2 weeks of december, didn't bother with push ups at home either.

I'm 1.66m (5'5") and weight 58kg (began at 53kg). Manlet moment.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,543
    Given: 25,026

2 Not allowed!

225 lbs x 3 at a bodyweight of about 175 lbs, reasonably lean. A long time ago mind you.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2024 @ 05:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,353
    Given: 4,487

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    102kg/225lbs x 3 reps, bar to chest, none of that cheating stuff like thrusting the hips up. My bodyweight was 77-79kg/170-175lbs range.

No way in hell I can do that now haha, I worked for a few years to get to that, and never even tried that heavy again.
    Nearly identical. I was 2-3 kilos heavier. I hate bench pressing and it took my way too long to get there, and it didn't feel as accomplishing as I thought. I totally had to grind out the last. My best and favorite lift is deadlift which I still perform weekly (at a minimum) to this day. I used to pull for speed on blocks a lot more often on my non-peaking days just because I loved the motion and the pump from it so much (conventional double overhand only, no switch or sumo). Abandoned benching altogether because I was spooked about chest tears I kept reading about and seeing on YouTube everywhere. When a fitness buddy at the time tore his left pec minor completely from its insertion point on a warmup of barely more than 1pl8, he told me that he should have called it quits earlier, too.

Wishing all the benchers out there all the best for the New Year! May your moment arms get ever shorter.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Turul Karom View Post
    Nearly identical. I was 2-3 kilos heavier. I hate bench pressing and it took my way too long to get there, and it didn't feel as accomplishing as I thought. I totally had to grind out the last. My best and favorite lift is deadlift which I still perform weekly (at a minimum) to this day. I used to pull for speed on blocks a lot more often on my non-peaking days just because I loved the motion and the pump from it so much (conventional double overhand only, no switch or sumo). Abandoned benching altogether because I was spooked about chest tears I kept reading about and seeing on YouTube everywhere. When a fitness buddy at the time tore his left pec minor completely from its insertion point on a warmup of barely more than 1pl8, he told me that he should have called it quits earlier, too.

Wishing all the benchers out there all the best for the New Year! May your moment arms get ever shorter.
    I always loved bench pressing. And hated the deadlift!

I would still be benching (I do mostly push-ups and elastic band pec fly's nowadays) but I think maybe in life you only get but so many bench presses, and I've exceeded my number. One frozen shoulder and several serious rotator cuff strains later and I am quite pleased to be able to do my push-ups and pec fly's without pain.

Regarding deadlift, I don't seem to be able to recruit my glutes and hams like I should, a lot of the load seem to get directed to an old disc herniation in my lumbar spine.

Glad to hear you are using overhand grip, I've seen those mixed grip biceps rupture videos, you just can't unsee that..

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I always loved bench pressing. And hated the deadlift!

I would still be benching (I do mostly push-ups and elastic band pec fly's nowadays) but I think maybe in life you only get but so many bench presses, and I've exceeded my number. One frozen shoulder and several serious rotator cuff strains later and I am quite pleased to be able to do my push-ups and pec fly's without pain.

Regarding deadlift, I don't seem to be able to recruit my glutes and hams like I should, a lot of the load seem to get directed to an old disc herniation in my lumbar spine.

Glad to hear you are using overhand grip, I've seen those mixed grip biceps rupture videos, you just can't unsee that..
    Exact opposite about the lifts lol

If you are comfortable with it, how old were you when you made your highest attempt at the bench? I was 23.

I treat the deadlift like a leg press and think of my hips as the parts of a sliding drawer. With my upper body like being in a static hold after taking the slack out of the bar with my upper back, I push away from the ground with my legs and hips.

If you have problems with your glutes and hams, then deload until you can feel them working during the eccentric phase. Works every time.

Also: DO NOT WEAR SHOES WITH HEELS, this is for daily activity, too. I can promise that most boots and shoes men wear have quite the heel stack. Heel lift on shoes shortens the length hamstrings artificially over time and tilts the hips forward. This is why so many men have weak hamstrings: they are never put through their ranges of motion and have atrophied! I wear eastern shoes (barefoot shoes work well too) for this reason.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Exact opposite about the lifts lol

If you are comfortable with it, how old were you when you made your highest attempt at the bench? I was 23.

I treat the deadlift like a leg press and think of my hips as the parts of a sliding drawer. With my upper body like being in a static hold after taking the slack out of the bar with my upper back, I push away from the ground with my legs and hips.

If you have problems with your glutes and hams, then deload until you can feel them working during the eccentric phase. Works every time.

Also: DO NOT WEAR SHOES WITH HEELS, this is for daily activity, too. I can promise that most boots and shoes men wear have quite the heel stack. Heel lift on shoes shortens the length hamstrings artificially over time and tilts the hips forward. This is why so many men have weak hamstrings: they are never put through their ranges of motion and have atrophied! I wear eastern shoes (barefoot shoes work well too) for this reason.
    I kid you not, I think I was 23 also.

Great advice Turul, thank you very much. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get back that inch in height I'll lose from wearing those flat soled shoes

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I kid you not, I think I was 23 also.

Great advice Turul, thank you very much. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get back that inch in height I'll lose from wearing those flat soled shoes
    I can suggest some options. If you are looking for shoes that ship to the USA from Europe, I suggest Joe Nimble Toes which is a German manufacturer with distribution in the USA. They have sports shoes and leather hikers that still have zero heel-toe drop while still keeping a good stack height/rock plate and protection underfoot. Their trail boots are particularly nice. My daily eastern shoes are more minimalist that these, but they are great shoes from a great company. They'll also keep you "taller" than minimalist shoes, lol. They currently have a New Year's sale and you can negotiate discounts if you're a trainer.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I can suggest some options. If you are looking for shoes that ship to the USA from Europe, I suggest Joe Nimble Toes which is a German manufacturer with distribution in the USA. They have sports shoes and leather hikers that still have zero heel-toe drop while still keeping a good stack height/rock plate and protection underfoot. Their trail boots are particularly nice. My daily eastern shoes are more minimalist that these, but they are great shoes from a great company. They'll also keep you "taller" than minimalist shoes, lol. They currently have a New Year's sale and you can negotiate discounts if you're a trainer.
    I never heard of them before, I just pulled up the page, very aesthetically appealing designs. Thanks again as always.

Last Online
    05-07-2024 @ 06:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,464
    Given: 7,907

0 Not allowed!

I have unfortunately stopped for a month now. But my max was at 70 kg, 4x10.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information