Thread: Similarities between greek and hindu philosophy.

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,397
    Given: 2,643

2 Not allowed!

Default Similarities between greek and hindu philosophy.

The Katha Upanishad (Sanskrit: कठोपनिषद् or कठ उपनिषद्) (Kaṭhopaniṣad) is one of the mukhya (primary) Upanishads, embedded in the last short eight sections of the Kaṭha school of the Krishna Yajurveda.[1][2] It is also known as Kāṭhaka Upanishad, and is listed as number 3 in the Muktika canon of 108 Upanishads.
    The Katha Upanishad consists of two chapters (Adhyāyas), each divided into three sections (Vallis). The first Adhyaya is considered to be of older origin than the second.[2] The Upanishad is the legendary story of a little boy, Nachiketa – the son of Sage Vajasravasa, who meets Yama (the Hindu deity of death). Their conversation evolves to a discussion of the nature of man, knowledge, Atman (Soul, Self) and moksha (liberation).[2]
    The chronology of Katha Upanishad is unclear and contested, with Buddhism scholars stating it was likely composed after the early Buddhist texts (fifth century BCE),[3] and Hinduism scholars stating it was likely composed before the Buddha, in 800 BCE.The parable of the chariot - Third Valli

The third Valli of Katha Upanishad presents the parable of the chariot, to highlight how Atman, body, mind, senses and empirical reality relate to a human being.[47][48]
    Know that the Atman is the rider in the chariot,
    and the body is the chariot,
    Know that the Buddhi (intelligence, ability to reason) is the charioteer,
    and Manas (mind) is the reins.

The senses are called the horses,
    the objects of the senses are their paths,
    Formed out of the union of the Atman, the senses and the mind,
    him they call the "enjoyer".

— Katha Upanishad, 1.3.3-1.3.4[47][49]
    The Katha Upanishad asserts that one who does not use his powers of reasoning, whose senses are unruly and mind unbridled, his life drifts in chaos and confusion, his existence entangled in samsara. Those who use their intelligence, have their senses calm and under reason, they live a life of bliss and liberation, which is the highest place of Vishnu.[49] Whitney clarifies that "Vishnu" appears in Vedas as a form of Sun, and "Vishnu's highest place" is a Vedic phrase that means "zenith".[50] Madhvacharya, the Dvaita Vedanta scholar interprets this term differently, and bases his theistic interpretation of Katha Upanishad by stating that the term refers to the deity Vishnu.[51]
    This metaphorical parable of chariot is found in multiple ancient Indian texts, and is called the Ratha Kalpana. A similar simile is found in ancient Greek literature, such as the Parmenides, Xenophon's prologue of Prodikos, and in the Platonic dialogue Phaedrus.

The Chariot Analogy in the Katha Upanishad, Questions to King Malinda, and Plato's Phaedrus

In this video I compare the chariot analogies as presented by Yamaraja in the Katha Upanishad, Nagasena in Questions to King Malinda, and Socrates in Plato’s The Pheadrus.

Chariot's Allegory - Plato

This is a final college project I made for my Creative Media course Level 3 in London. For this project I used Adobe Flash for my very first time and I am happy with the results. Any comment/feedback will be apreciated. I am happy to share with you this video to promote philosophy. One of my motivations was itself philosophy and my interest for it . It will be great if you share or use this videos in any way to share with others and start a conversation as Plato would. (Classroom, friends, teachers, etc... ) This allegory of Plato try to explain the creation of the human and how it is created. It is make reference to others theories of plato as the. I used the reference of "her" to the soul as other people used it too. - Reminiscence Theory - How we find knowledge. It is that the soul is from the "Ideal World" that she had the true knowledge. But once she passed to the sensitive world she forget all. This is why Plato claims we can "remember" things once we talk with others and find solutions. - Theory of forms - How the worlds were created: I also try to make a brief explaniation in this video. Ideal World: Where the true ideas belongs to and never ends, the true knowledge we always wanted is there. Sensitive World: Is an imperfect copy of the Ideal World but is not where the true knowledge resides, our senses can play with us. Following Plato´s theory every human is body and soul. The soul belongs to the "ideal world" and is inmortal. The soul once had all the true knowledge but her foulness and failure to control her desires makes her fell into the sensible world. There every soul needs to control every horse to grow their wings and return to the ideal world.

YOU and THE CHARIOT ANALOGY - from the Kathopanishad

Understanding the 'Who am I?' question through the Chariot Analogy explained to Nachiketa in the Kat-hopanishad by Yama, the lord of death. Ego plays a major part in the lives of people. It is one of the major causes for discords among people including closely related people, married couples, close friends and colleagues at work. The lack of understanding about who one is and how actions are performed by people, are important reasons behind the mental disease called ego which invariably leads people to major downfalls. Young Nachiketa receives the divine knowledge directly from Yama, the lord of death. Standing face to face before death blessed him with Atmajnyanam or the knowledge of the Self. Understanding the brevity of life and the impermanence of all material possessions removes ego and all other negative qualities associated with it.

Last Online
    11-03-2023 @ 09:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani
    Country
    Pakistan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,273
    Given: 1,063

0 Not allowed!

indo greek kingdom in pakistan

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,397
    Given: 2,643

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    indo greek kingdom in pakistan

This alegory has exist in both regions since the V century BC

Parmenides

Bornc. 515 BC
    Elea, Magna Graecia

Parmenides of Elea (/pɑːrˈmɛnɪdiːz ... ˈɛliə/; Greek: Παρμενίδης ὁ Ἐλεάτης; fl. late sixth or early fifth century BC) was a pre-Socratic Greek philosopher from Elea in Magna Graecia (meaning "Great Greece," the term which Romans gave to Greek-populated coastal areas in Southern Italy). He is thought to have been in his prime (or "floruit") around 475 BC.[a]
    Parmenides has been considered the founder of metaphysics or ontology and has influenced the whole history of Western philosophy.[5][b] He was the founder of the Eleatic school of philosophy, which also included Zeno of Elea and Melissus of Samos. Zeno's paradoxes of motion were to defend Parmenides' view.

Katha Upanishad

The Katha Upanishad (Sanskrit: कठोपनिषद् or कठ उपनिषद्) (Kaṭhopaniṣad) is one of the mukhya (primary) Upanishads, embedded in the last short eight sections of the Kaṭha school of the Krishna Yajurveda.[1][2] It is also known as Kāṭhaka Upanishad, and is listed as number 3 in the Muktika canon of 108 Upanishads.

The Katha Upanishad consists of two chapters (Adhyāyas), each divided into three sections (Vallis). The first Adhyaya is considered to be of older origin than the second.[2] The Upanishad is the legendary story of a little boy, Nachiketa – the son of Sage Vajasravasa, who meets Yama (the Hindu deity of death). Their conversation evolves to a discussion of the nature of man, knowledge, Atman (Soul, Self) and moksha (liberation).[2]
    The chronology of Katha Upanishad is unclear and contested, with Buddhism scholars stating it was likely composed after the early Buddhist texts (fifth century BCE),[3] and Hinduism scholars stating it was likely composed before the Buddha, in 800 BCE.

Thread Information