Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people compare Spaniards with British so often in this forum?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,559
    Given: 29,007

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    I don't give a shit about being close to Brits.

I just point out how funny is that some people take the comparison as if they were comparing Brits with Europeans from an opposite corner of Europe, or some very ignorant people take it even worse: like if British were being compared to Moroccans or some like that.

It's so sad that then this is taken as me wanting to be close to British, lol
    We have had a lot of interactions on here and know each other quite well now I think? We have had disagreements but I think we both respect each other and I personally think you are a genuine person and I understand your viewpoint. I think people accuse others of things they are not intending because they are projecting onto others as well. I also think this forum has trolls which you have to be able to handle. Anyway I don't think people should feel intimated and not be able to discuss things they are interested in. Basically now I feel very secure in my identity but I think people should not be ashamed to admit all their history/ancestry. I don't understand how people have issues with some of their history or ancestry? I think that might require some self analysis?

From my perspective with the Irish it is whether they are basically a Bronze Age population so not much input from other populations or whether there has been influence from Continental Celts, Vikings, Normans, English etc? Some people maintain there has been very little influence other than the Bronze Age so my interest is whether these later populations have had influence. They of course had some but I just want to know how much? I personally think there must obviously have been influence from all these groups and history says there was but I would like some genetic studies showing this.

I think every group that have historically been in countries have left some footprint and this is the case for Spain also. Romans look like they left a legacy in Spain for example so Spain has a lot of influences. Anyway we are what we are.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,622
    Given: 21,626

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Samnium View Post
    Well I was wrong.

I think you don't care that much about all what's going, me too, I've reduced a lot my activity.
    You're not entirely wrong either, I'm sure I also have some kind of ideological "veneer", like everyone else. But as much as what "having an agenda" implies seems to me a bit exaggerated.

And now changing the subject, and I really mean that without any ulterior motive.

Do you still have the idea in mind of taking a test?

If you want to play with G25, I can do for you some "alternative" coordinates to play with them. You only have to tell me about 4-5 references from g25 datasheet that you think could represent well your ancestry by PM.

Using the full datasheet without adding any penalty gives very fractioned results results, but they work quite well on custom models or running them with 0.25X.

The new vahaduo github updates are not helpful either, but it would just be to entertain you.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,622
    Given: 21,626

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Another Wild Geese descendant was Leopoldo O'Donnell who was a Prime Minister of Spain. He was a descendant of Calvagh O'Donnell. Ireland lost a lot of her most important clan families which directly influenced the loss of the Gaelic language and clan influence in Ireland. So many of these families fled Ireland and it was a big loss. Colonialism didn't benefit Ireland and her most influential families fled.

rl]

The Flight of the Wild Geese benefited countries like France and Spain.

rl]
    Well, I think that the Atlantic facade does not refer to that type of "link".

The dolmen/megalithic phenomenon could be more representative of an ancient Atlantic cultural relationship, O´Donell is too modern person.

mitalit

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixajo View Post
    And the sun during summer

You score 2 (or 3) times more British Isles than NA quite usually, and no one here call you British, same for me or my mother with "another" neighbour country, and if I dare to comment it even joking, they accuse me of having an agenda. And I am only remembering your case and mine, we see here examples every week or day about this, with difefrent Spanish or Portuguese member too.

But, you know....this is TA.

Edit:and no, I am not denying any NA input in Iberians.
    The problem is that most people are not willing to change their minds.
    In fact I do have an agenda (I'm not going to fool anyone) but the truth has only one way. Some prefer to live in a lie and deceiving others to shape the world to his taste but I think it is much healthier, enriching and beneficial to try to find out the truth or the closest thing to it.

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Immanenz View Post
    Because of Sikelot and some other Owds.. I dont think Brits here ever liked this comparison though.
    Neither do Spaniards from what I've seen.
    After not shaving for a while:

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Historically, Brits (especially the English) and Spaniards also have reasons not to like each other and this is sometimes evident in comments on TA, too.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,435
    Given: 5,750

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade View Post
    Historically, Brits (especially the English) and Spaniards also have reasons not to like each other and this is sometimes evident in comments on TA, too.
    As a half Brit half Spaniard i think we generally get on now, most of the dislike stems more i think from the war when Spain supported Franco and was regarded as fascist by the Brits, i think many Brits envy the lifestyle and the climate of Spain and wish they could live there but are hindered by their lack of Spanish from doing so.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    As a half Brit half Spaniard i think we generally get on now, most of the dislike stems more i think from the war when Spain supported Franco and was regarded as fascist by the Brits, i think many Brits envy the lifestyle and the climate of Spain and wish they could live there but are hindered by their lack of Spanish from doing so.
    Climate-wise I totally prefer Spain, too.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,435
    Given: 5,750

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade View Post
    Climate-wise I totally prefer Spain, too.
    I'm personally torn between the two, Spain gets really chilly at night in the winter and so you don't really get the benefit of warmer weather all day like you do in Portugal which has i think the nicest climate in Europe, i actually love the British spring and summer but i can see why so many people prefer Spain, especially during the autumn when they get far better weather than we do in the UK.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    I'm personally torn between the two, Spain gets really chilly at night in the winter and so you don't really get the benefit of warmer weather all day like you do in Portugal which has i think the nicest climate in Europe, i actually love the British spring and summer but i can see why so many people prefer Spain, especially during the autumn when they get far better weather than we do in the UK.
    I have another reason. I hate rain. But I'm the child of a country whose climate is far more similar to Spanish one, so my opinion is a little subjective. Central, Southern and much of Eastern Bulgaria are Mediterranean in terms of climate. The northwestern and central northern areas are more Central Euro-like in terms of weather.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information