View Poll Results: Which one do Iranians look like the most?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turks

2 13.33%
  • Pakistanis

3 20.00%
  • Afghans

10 66.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turks, Pakistanis, Afghans. Which one do Iranians look like the most?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-11-2023 @ 03:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic Upper Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Kurdish
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1 (Mede => Parthian)
    mtDNA
    HV2a (Scythian)
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,095
    Given: 1,505

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    Let's not forget that most of the time Fars region gets used as the default Persian average. It is the least steppe-admixed region of the main Iranian cluster. So far I haven't seen any evidence for Kurds being more steppe-shifted than Persians. I'd be willing to change my opinion if Zoro ever will present the data he says he has. But he hasn't done yet. As long as this won't happen I'm sticking to G25 and YDNA like 99% of this forum.

In terms of steppe-ancestry I'm thinking it looks as follows:
    I get your point, what Zoro actually said was for most not incorrect though, however he didn't present it in the best manner. For example I am convinced he could actually had specified more with what he meant with Indian/Pakistani looking. It's clear to us he means Bandaris for example however the average amateur won't know this. In general Bandaris are getting mentioned far too often imo, for the fact that they are even a minority in Hormozgan itself.

About the stats he has shown. We can't argue about it because It is a scientific paper from the Reich lab as far as I remember. Ask yourself why real scientists almost never use admixture tools but formal stats, and if they do use admixture tools always in connection with formal stats as confirmation. It is because formal stats are a more powerfull tool.

Another thing which is obvious to me is that both of you are likely talking past each other. While Zoro means Scythian Sarmatian ancestry (Iron Age Steppe ancestry) the GedMatch calculators are more specified on the Yamnaya Srubnaya, Sintashta ancestry. Also as Zoro pointed out adixture calculators can hide allot of things due to it's limitations.

About the Kurdish samples from Turkmenistan, well they are originally from NW Iran and East Anatolia. Like the Yunusbaev et al. samples collect from Kurds in Kazakhstan they are near identical to the Kurdish samples in Kurdistan as if they barely mixed.

Never the less this debate is getting tiresome. I couldn't care less about Steppe admixture since fortunately it is not a defining factor for the Medes-> Parthians and the tribes/groups united under this umbrella either.

It was more tiresome trying to explain people in the past that Kurds not being genetically identical to Tajiks or Afghans doesn't mean they are not descend of the Median tribes, because genetic similarity to East Iranics does not define West Iranic ancestry.
    Last edited by Demhat; 12-01-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,320
    Given: 1,211

1 Not allowed!

Been a while since I've last posted , so hey guys !

Honestly, afghans are quite unique and disticnt looking . Iranians look quite near Eastern with some south central Asian influence , but if I had to pick I would say Iranians look more like afghans than Turks BUT they are far closer to northern mesopotamians and eastern Anatolians .

Here are some few pics of drew binskys recent trip to afghanistan, I don't think you would find people who look like this in Iran ( my opinion )

Last Online
    11-03-2023 @ 09:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani
    Country
    Pakistan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,274
    Given: 1,063

2 Not allowed!

Iraqis out of all of these.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,702
    Given: 8,964

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
    Been a while since I've last posted , so hey guys !

Honestly, afghans are quite unique and disticnt looking . Iranians look quite near Eastern with some south central Asian influence , but if I had to pick I would say Iranians look more like afghans than Turks BUT they are far closer to northern mesopotamians and eastern Anatolians .

Here are some few pics of drew binskys recent trip to afghanistan, I don't think you would find people who look like this in Iran ( my opinion )
    1. Children are never the best representation
    2. Yes Afghanistan has heavy mongoloid influence in some areas
    3. I don't see how those children can't fit in Iran (except the mongoloid ones)

pics removed
    Last edited by Kyp; 12-01-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    1. Children are never the best representation
    2. Yes Afghanistan has heavy mongoloid influence in some areas
    3. I don't see how those children can't fit in Iran (except the mongoloid ones)

Here a picture from children of my father's homevillage (please don't quote the pictures)
    []
    You know what, I take it back . I actually agree with you .

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 882

3 Not allowed!

People have no clue about what actual Persians look like.
    We have a huge Persian and Afghan diasporas here in Sweden and they look very distinct. Most Persians I've seen would pass rather easily further west, as Assyrians, Armenians or Lebanese IMO.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    We have a huge Persian and Afghan diasporas here in Sweden and they look very distinct. Most Persians I've seen would pass rather easily further west, as Assyrians, Armenians or Lebanese IMO.
    Most afghans in Sweden are mongoloid shifted hazaras so yes I agree with your perception

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    Most afghans in Sweden are mongoloid shifted hazaras so yes I agree with your perception

Banned
    Last Online
    02-07-2021 @ 05:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Demhat View Post
    When I say Persians have a unique look I am speaking of experience. And when I say South Iranians (Fars, Yazd, Kerman) do not really differ in looking more Eastern shifted I mean it also by experience.

These South Iranians from Kerman and Fars do not hit me as specifically Afghan looking.

Ironically from my personal experience South Persians differ from the other Iranians by looking more Middle Eastern/Arabian shifted than the norm. While individual resemblence to Eastern Iranics is higher in Northeast and even North/West.

The Southeast (Balochis) and Bandaris(southern coast) are a exception of their own. Balochis generally resemble Southeast Iranic people more than they do the Central Iranian (Persian ) look. And the Bandari minoriy are like a mix of many elements and a thing of their own.
    Yes because ETHIC Persians as a whole are VERY genetically similar. Slight differences yes, but not much. It doesn't matter if you are South PERSIAN or North Persian or Zoroastrian or christan or Muslim or whatever. It'd be impossible to pinpoint where exactly a Persian is just be looking at them.

On a side note PLEASE gimme the name of the second guy. He looks EXACTLY like my Parsi dad does. I want to show his picture/movie to my dad and see his reaction

Banned
    Last Online
    02-07-2021 @ 05:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 21

1 Not allowed!

Iranians is too broad a term. Baluchis look Paki for example, Persian Gulf Islanders look SSA. Kurds look Turkish (which is also broad), Pashtuns look Afghan and so on and so forth.

ETHNIC PERSIANS (across the country. Including all religions like Zoroastrianism, Islam etc) look like PERSIANS. Not like Arabs, not like Afghans, not like Turks.

The ONLY group Persians properly look like are the Parsis and Iranis of Pakistan and India. Though both these groups are considered part of the wider Persian diaspora sometimes.

To answer your question, I've seen Persians(or any group in the Central Iranian cluster CIC- )look like both Afghanis or Pakistanis or even Turkish. Overall, Afghanistan is the closest imo though barely.

And yes, there are common features throughout the greater middle east and even some of South Asia. But just because someone shares similar features like being very hairy, dark feautured, large noses etc, doesnt mean they are indistinguishable. Not at all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information