Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,448
    Given: 918

0 Not allowed!

Default An American Expat in Italy

Hi, all.

I am in the process of learning the the Italian language, and recently developed a fascination with your country and culture. My question is, and this is strictly a hypothetical: How difficult is it for an American citizen to immigrate to Italy and obtain legal citizenship? How about career opportunities for foreigners?

Assuming I ever become "fluent" in your language, what are the chances of the above coming to fruition? I have a feeling that Italy, like many other European countries, is quite nationalistic (which is entirely a good thing, by the way); if this is the case, then obviously obtaining citizenship and a viable career would be incredibly difficult for an outsider. Are American expatriates regarded positively in Italy, or is your country generally not too crazy on immigration from all other nations?

Again, I have a lot of work to do in regards to learning your language, but I am highly motivated, and hoping that I could, theoretically, make this a possibility before I hit the age of 30. If you were an American, would you want to move to Italy? Should I just stay where I am, and content myself with vacationing in your country?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,134
    Given: 9,065

4 Not allowed!

I've been to Italy like 200 times in my life, mostly in center/north parts. It's known that southern "areas" are friendlier and north less. Anyways I've never experienced any types of xenophobia/racism in Italy, the people were actually super friendly to me, but this might be different for someone with different type of skin. I heard Italians can be quiet racists, but as I've said pretty friendly experiences I had, even if they know I know jack shit in their language. Also Italians don't seem to be so nacionalistic as you've said, the only time they put their flags out is at World cup, they go by their regions. It seems like they might split up in the future but who knows. They are though proud of their cuisine, history etc. As for jobs I don't know, Milano seemed to be extremely fast paced in center and most of people were toursits. I was once lost and people were asking me for directions lol, like d00d I'm lost don't ask me XD As for Jobs everyone goes to Lombardy for work from all parts of Italy, but I don't think personally Italy is worth to move to. The purchasing power is not that great, cause many things are pretty expensive tbh, but if you land decent Job, Italy can be one of best countries you could live in.

Last Online
    10-05-2022 @ 05:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    OTHERS_D
    Ethnicity
    Polish/Slovak/Hungarian Romani/Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Essentially Austro-Hungary
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Joseph Conrad
    Religion
    Down-votes from Loki
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,057
    Given: 3,213

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by barnumandbailey View Post
    My question is, and this is strictly a hypothetical: How difficult is it for an American citizen to immigrate to Italy and obtain legal citizenship? How about career opportunities for foreigners?
    Generally (overwhelmingly), American citizens cannot reside in or become citizens of a European country except under very specific conditions, like marrying a citizen or heritage. However, it seems like Italy is actually a bit more promising, and it looks like you're on the right track:

"all American citizens who request an Italian permit of stay for more than 12 months are required to sign an “integration agreement” (accordo di integrazione) at the local prefecture (sportello unico per l’immigrazione) or at the provincial police headquarters (questura). By signing this agreement, Americans are compelled to achieve specific integration goals (e.g. acquire an adequate knowledge of the Italian language, of the Italian civil structure and culture) and accumulate a total of thirty credits. Simply signing the agreement will secure the first sixteen points. The remaining fourteen points must be earned over the next two years by taking classes or passing a test in the Italian language, on the civil structure and culture, and by successfully completing a variety of other requirements. Failure to complete the integration agreement with the required credits is punishable by expulsion from Italy. Additional information may be obtained from the Italian Ministry of Interior’s website at http://www.interno.gov.it/it/temi/immigrazione-e-asilo/modalita-dingresso/accordo-integrazione-straniero-richiede-permesso-soggiorno."

From the Italian Embassy in the US website.
    PuntDNAl k15
    Mother: Polish + Norwegian + Austrian + French @ 0.923102
    Father: Karelian + Polish + Romani + Mozabite_Berber @ 5.277415
    Me: Lithuanian + Mordovian + Bosnian + Spaniard @ 2.190271
    MDLP World
    Mother: 85.80% German_V + 14.20% Russian @ 1
    Father: 73.10% Croatian_V + 26.90% Roma @ 4.65
    Me: 94.70% Croatian_V + 5.30% Roma @ 1.61

La Vecchia Guardia Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romantic
    Ethnicity
    Italicus nobilis
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Corsica
    Y-DNA
    J2 or whatever
    mtDNA
    H something
    Taxonomy
    Apenninid
    Hero
    Alan Lomax
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,744
    Given: 3,832

3 Not allowed!

Hi, all.

I am in the process of learning the the Italian language, and recently developed a fascination with your country and culture. My question is, and this is strictly a hypothetical: How difficult is it for an American citizen to immigrate to Italy and obtain legal citizenship? How about career opportunities for foreigners?
    Dual citizen here: Getting official citizenship (not a residency permit) means living in the country for a long time - I believe it's 10 years. For career opportunities I wouldn't say it's easy unless you do something like teach English. Also, unless you're working remotely as a freelancer or coder or something, if you don't speak fluent or near fluent Italian you're out of luck; unless you work in tourism in a big tourist destination where English is arguably just as important as Italian. Jobs are going to go to Italian and/or EU citizens first.

Assuming I ever become "fluent" in your language, what are the chances of the above coming to fruition? I have a feeling that Italy, like many other European countries, is quite nationalistic (which is entirely a good thing, by the way); if this is the case, then obviously obtaining citizenship and a viable career would be incredibly difficult for an outsider. Are American expatriates regarded positively in Italy, or is your country generally not too crazy on immigration from all other nations?
    Italians tend to be regionalists first, but in the past few years with the migrant crisis and the COVID crisis compounding an already precarious economy, more nationalist politicians are gaining in popularity (the nationalist Fratelli d'Italia party has more than doubled their poll numbers in the past year or so).

As far as Americans go, I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you make an effort to speak the language (which you already do) and be polite.

Again, I have a lot of work to do in regards to learning your language, but I am highly motivated, and hoping that I could, theoretically, make this a possibility before I hit the age of 30. If you were an American, would you want to move to Italy? Should I just stay where I am, and content myself with vacationing in your country?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.
    I'll say this: Not a day goes by where I don't miss being there.

Last Online
    02-26-2021 @ 11:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 39

1 Not allowed!

All the things said by the users before me are correct. I would also be optimistic about your job opportunities here since your perfect English skills would be a huge bonus, especially if you moved to the most economically dynamic parts of Italy.
    Also don't worry about racism, most people here are friendly with foreigners.

Last Online
    04-22-2022 @ 02:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Thank you, all, for the input! I have a pleasant little fascination with Torino, and Piemonte in general. The Alps are gorgeous; would love to work as a sort of park ranger, which, as other have suggested, could possibly be feasible if the park is internationally renown (thus necessitating the demand for proficient English-speakers).

Also, I don't understand people who don't make an attempt to integrate following a move to another country. Like, what?

Last Online
    04-06-2024 @ 03:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Piemonte
    Y-DNA
    I-L801
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 950
    Given: 400

0 Not allowed!

Torino was OK up until the early 50s, now it's just a middle-sized Milano with a nicer setting. You can take my place though, if all goes well I'll be out of this mess in 2 years..

Last Online
    04-22-2022 @ 02:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vid Flumina View Post
    Torino was OK up until the early 50s, now it's just a middle-sized Milano with a nicer setting. You can take my place though, if all goes well I'll be out of this mess in 2 years..
    Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts a bit, please? I can always PM.

What's so bad about Milano?

Last Online
    04-06-2024 @ 03:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Piemonte
    Y-DNA
    I-L801
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 950
    Given: 400

1 Not allowed!

Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts a bit, please? I can always PM.

What's so bad about Milano?

Ok, here are some pointers :

- polluted and terribly congested (parking will drive you crazy from day1)
    - don't even think about public transportation (hardly on time, dirty, packed ; metro is OK but it's like one line)
    - out of control immigration (huge romanian and moroccan communities on top of whole "united colors of benetton" ; maj. of italians have southern roots and more keep coming..)
    - expensive
    - repulsive urban sprawl and concrete everywhere ; graffitis, cigarette butts and dog feces are but the cherry on top
    - summers are excruciatingly hot
    - if you want quality food (eggs, dairy, meat etc) you better know someone in the farming business up in the valleys
    - lots of seedy areas you may want to avoid especially at night

(there's more of course : city is in the red since 2006 Olympics, pub. hospitals are overwhelmed and so on)

hate to sound like Lambrenedetto but if you don't mind the mountains then stick to Ticino / Valtellina or Trentino-Alto Adige

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-21-2023 @ 06:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    French
    Ancestry
    France, Italy, Switzerland
    Country
    France
    Region
    Val d'Aosta
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,343
    Given: 3,478

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vid Flumina View Post

Ok, here are some pointers :
    Summers are very harsh in Northern Italy (atleast in some parts of it), I've seen that in Torino area that I know very well, where the summer you don't have wind with very elevated temperatures... Suffocating.

Torino has some advantages, including the fact that you can easily find a job here especially in industries, the city has a gorgeous town center and you can live outside Torino in small villages or good cities like Ciriè, Venaria Reale...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information