R-M467
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Some other family names of mine that seem to be more American than British - Peyton
    Peyton is very English; not common in England though; American Peytons, at least from Virginia, are probably descendants of one Robert Peyton, who emigrated to Virginia by 1680; he was a grandson of Sir Edward Peyton, 2nd Baronet of Isleham. Edward Peyton's maternal grandfather was Sir Edward Osborne, who was Lord Mayor of London; his maternal grandmother Anne Hewett was daughter of Sir William Hewett who was also Lord Mayor. Edmund Hewett, father of Sir William, may be one of the most recent commoners from whom a very large descendancy among the Anglo diaspora can be traced--some of his descendants emigrated to New England, some to Maryland, some to Virginia (both Julia Dent Grant and Mary Anne Randolph Custis Lee are descendants; so are F. Scott Fitzgerald and G. Gordon Liddy), and through Osborne he's ancestor of a fair chunk of the British peerage as well as the Queen through her mother, plus assorted and sundry people like Winston Churchill, David Cameron, and PG Wodehouse).

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,860
    Given: 7,347

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
    Peyton is very English; not common in England though; American Peytons, at least from Virginia, are probably descendants of one Robert Peyton, who emigrated to Virginia by 1680; he was a grandson of Sir Edward Peyton, 2nd Baronet of Isleham. Edward Peyton's maternal grandfather was Sir Edward Osborne, who was Lord Mayor of London; his maternal grandmother Anne Hewett was daughter of Sir William Hewett who was also Lord Mayor. Edmund Hewett, father of Sir William, may be one of the most recent commoners from whom a very large descendancy among the Anglo diaspora can be traced--some of his descendants emigrated to New England, some to Maryland, some to Virginia (both Julia Dent Grant and Mary Anne Randolph Custis Lee are descendants; so are F. Scott Fitzgerald and G. Gordon Liddy), and through Osborne he's ancestor of a fair chunk of the British peerage as well as the Queen through her mother, plus assorted and sundry people like Winston Churchill, David Cameron, and PG Wodehouse).
    That's pretty impressive. I'm afraid I lack a good bit of paperwork to take me back that far, though. It does seem most of the Virginia Peytons are related.

Last Online
    10-19-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-M467
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I also have Myatt in my ancestry from the 19th century (my maternal side is from North Staffordshire).
    Then we're almost certainly related, probably within the last 12-15 generations if not more recently (I can trace my Myatts back to a Mayott who died in 1631; the last born in England departed for America in the 1740's). There was a Y-DNA project looking at bearers of the surnames "Meates" and "Mates" in Ireland that found they matched Myatts from Staffordshire and the USA, with all being descended from a common ancestor, see here (but then I've seen it estimated that everyone of specifically English ancestry is likely related within the degree of 20th cousin or closer).
    Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 04-11-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Last Online
    10-19-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-M467
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

deleted, accidental duplicate

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,815
    Given: 6,517

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
    Then we're almost certainly related, probably within the last 12-15 generations if not more recently (I can trace my Myatts back to a Mayott who died in 1631; the last born in England departed for America in the 1740's). There was a Y-DNA project looking at bearers of the surnames "Meates" and "Mates" in Ireland that found they matched Myatts from Staffordshire and the USA, with all being descended from a common ancestor, see here (but then I've seen it estimated that everyone of specifically English ancestry is likely related within the degree of 20th cousin or closer).
    Great stuff, thanks for that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information