Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How relevant is height within society?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2022 @ 12:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Westlauwer Fries (West Frisian)
    Ancestry
    North-Sea Germanic; New Frisian (Angles/Saxons), Old Frisian (Frisii). North Germanic; Norse/Danish
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Friesland
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z58
    mtDNA
    U5b
    Taxonomy
    Faelid/Borreby CM = Übermensch
    Politics
    Jastorf chauvinism
    Hero
    Magnus Forteman, Pier Gerlofs Donia, Wijerd Jelckama, Redbad, Jancko Douwama, Finn Focwalding
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 752

0 Not allowed!

Post How relevant is height within society?

This seems something I always wondered about. How do the shorter guys tend to view the fact they are short and vice versa too? Something so painfully wired within our minds and consciousness cannot go by ignored, especially when it comes to dating standards/culture, business, politics and even within academia where it shows to have multiple outcomes in relation to life depending on a person's height. As a guy standing 1.97m tall (6'5 and a half) I've experienced situations where my height came as a huge advancement to progress and other times but less frequent not so. Curious to see what other people have to share to this.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-08-2021 @ 12:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    --
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,463
    Given: 12,450

4 Not allowed!

Perhaps it's true in dating. From my experience women tend to prefer taller guys and ignore the short ones.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,646
    Given: 10,364

2 Not allowed!

Tall people, especially men, are deluded in believing shorter and normal folk see them as anything other than gangly useless pricks who can barely do anything useful in this average height world. I've never seen nor experienced one with the self-determination of normal height folk. Almost everything is too hard, too low, too awkward or too difficult for them. Make of that what you will but that is from years of experience dealing with all types of people.
    Nine out of ten concerns are completely unfounded.

Last Online
    09-16-2022 @ 04:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    gr
    Country
    United States
    mtDNA
    j1
    Taxonomy
    med + alpine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,631
    Given: 3,743

6 Not allowed!

in terms of dating, most women want to feel feminine and submissive in the relationship, so being with a tall guy makes them feel like that. taller= more masculine

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2022 @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Silves + Portimăo + Ferragudo, Portugal
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Z225
    mtDNA
    H1c3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,076
    Given: 6,670

6 Not allowed!

Well 1st we got a culture of online dating, from my experience as a 5 ft 9 (175 cm) guy, and from hearing others, it does matter a lot to a majority of women. A lot of women nowadays either want a guy that is just taller than them, or have standards like "only 6ft +" or even more drastically like "only 6ft 3+) and this can be understood by women's simple attraction preference for the feature, or more specifically their biological want for a taller, stronger man. (I think both).

Besides dating, it seems, for instance, to be president you'd need on the taller spectrum of society. In a sense, it seems it's a tribalistic virtue that the taller man is more trustworthy (not necessarily though), more powerful, more controlling, and protective over other people.

Some info regarding president (leader) height:

Why Voters Favor Tall Presidential Candidates

Taller leaders are seen as stronger leaders, researchers say. And height has been particularly important in wartime. Consider Woodrow Wilson at 5 feet, 11 inches, and Franklin D. Roosevelt at 6 feet, 2 inches. “In particular, during times of threat, we have a preference for physically formidable leaders,” Murray told ​​The Wall Street Journal in 2015.

In the research paper Tall claims? Sense and Nonsense About the Importance of Height of US Presidents, published in Leadership Quarterly, the authors concluded:

"The advantage of taller candidates is potentially explained by perceptions associated with height: taller presidents are rated by experts as 'greater', and having more leadership and communication skills. We conclude that height is an important characteristic in choosing and evaluating political leaders."
    "Height is associated with some of the same perceptions and outcomes as is strength. For example, individuals with taller stature are perceived as better leaders and attain higher status within a wide variety of modern political and organizational contexts."

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,211
    Given: 15,984

2 Not allowed!

I think it probably affects relationships the most. As Stellan stated women like feeling submissive with a taller guy.

I don't think it affects business much. I know plenty of successful short business men, and their height doesn't seem to bother women very much.

$$ is power ;-)
    What’s done in darkness will come to light

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,478
    Given: 5,059

8 Not allowed!

Some short people walk tall, some others are tall and walk short.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2022 @ 12:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Westlauwer Fries (West Frisian)
    Ancestry
    North-Sea Germanic; New Frisian (Angles/Saxons), Old Frisian (Frisii). North Germanic; Norse/Danish
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Friesland
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z58
    mtDNA
    U5b
    Taxonomy
    Faelid/Borreby CM = Übermensch
    Politics
    Jastorf chauvinism
    Hero
    Magnus Forteman, Pier Gerlofs Donia, Wijerd Jelckama, Redbad, Jancko Douwama, Finn Focwalding
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 752

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I think it probably affects relationships the most. As Stellan stated women like feeling submissive with a taller guy.

I don't think it affects business much. I know plenty of successful short business men, and their height doesn't seem to bother women very much.

$$ is power ;-)
    What I'm more referring to is how the mangement is structured within companies. The most succesful entrepreneurs and ceo's tend to be taller than the average person. I think what Luso pointed out about being tall correlates with more trustworthy tendencies, being protective/mature are relieving and key things within business, since shareholders, employees and the chairman rely on the day to day decisions made by the ceo and/or topmanagement.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2022 @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Silves + Portimăo + Ferragudo, Portugal
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Z225
    mtDNA
    H1c3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,076
    Given: 6,670

0 Not allowed!

^ yes it is an unfortunate truth that sucks for guys under (i'd say) 5 ft 10-11- like me. Although I feel taller than most people or at least avg where I am, the tall guys 6 ft 1+ are sought after way more in dating... but also in terms of business, the attributes (protective, strong, willingness to be assertive, etc.) are way more assumed to be true for a tall male than for a short male. But I chalk the truth to putting more time and effort into bettering other parts of my character and intellect as my height isn't controllable.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,646
    Given: 10,364

5 Not allowed!

The Apricity is so single dimensioned when discussing height. Every time, this ends up a discussion about relationships. How about thinking real world repercussions? The fact that very little on this planet is made for this minority is completely lost upon people. I manufacture products and the rare very tall man rarely gets his way. Bar a man cave for him, all products are manufactured for the women and children in residences. In commercial fit-outs, again, they are not a consideration.

Think outside TA's little box for a moment.
    Nine out of ten concerns are completely unfounded.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information