Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How relevant is height within society?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2022 @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Silves + Portimão + Ferragudo, Portugal
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Z225
    mtDNA
    H1c3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,076
    Given: 6,670

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    Napoleon being of short stature is actually a hoax. Well, at least when we consider the historical period in which he lived. The average height for males in the late eighteenth century and the first half of the nineteenth century in Europe would be around his size.
    Even more sad for short people... the only thing to saddle onto was the narrative of : "well I mean look at Napoleon he was a successful leader and he is short" - short guy realizes he was avg at the time -- Rip short guy... 2020. You killed him

On a serious note, as a 5 ft 9 guy, which is technically average height here? People nowadays radicalize everything, even height, to the point where I am also considered short. So who makes the standard?

Last Online
    03-30-2021 @ 12:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,595
    Given: 1,261

1 Not allowed!

It's relevant, like people said, we see taller people as more respectable or intimidating (I rarely see bodyguards under 185cm / 6'0 ~ 6'1 for instance). Women often want to be taller too, maybe to feel model-like, but at the same time they also want an even taller man to to make them feel feminine haha

I wish I were a little taller, but it doesn't really affect me, not even in dating, maybe because there are more important things than height, maybe because I'm not particularly short by brazilian standards since we lack the basketball genes from the Dinaric Alps or whatever.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Mexican American
    Ancestry
    Mostly Iberian and Amerindian/ 3% to 2% Scottish Miniscule African
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Nevada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,631
    Given: 3,857

3 Not allowed!

Height is relevant to certain a degree, but I find some issues attributed to height is largely exaggerated especially on the internet.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2022 @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Silves + Portimão + Ferragudo, Portugal
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Z225
    mtDNA
    H1c3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,076
    Given: 6,670

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueState View Post
    The massive demographic change that is occuring in the US, where the share of White Americans (mainly Northwest Europeans) is rapidly declining and the share of Latino, Asian, MENA and Subsaharan Africans are rapidly rising, and the future mixing of these different groups, will drag down the average height in the US population, because all these growing groups have lower height than the old Northwest European stock.
    Wouldn't this just incentivize that decreasing North West tall European population even more in dating and business?
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueState View Post
    And because "shorter" people will become more numerous due to immigration and higher birth rates than "taller" people (that have fewer immigrants and lower birth rates), in a way or an another, these "new" Americans will flow into every fields of US society (companies, public offices, polices, schools, hospitals, non-profit organizations, army) and assume also leadership roles. So it won't change the instinctive/biological perception of height, but we can assume it will be a bit less relevant.
    I get that, but I don't see tall people going anywhere, they will be the incentive regardless of this new immigration flow of (on avg) shorter people. But I get what you're saying with the demographic shift of more shorter individuals may stir the selection in dating to a reasonable degree. -- I just don't see the standard as a whole changing much, as biological wants won't go away, and shouldn't.

Last Online
    04-08-2024 @ 10:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,494
    Given: 731

1 Not allowed!

Indeed, it won't change the biological instinct but since in the global population, the average height will be lower than it is today and it will be more common to see other people short, it will become automatically a bit less relevant.

We can expect a second dynamic, that the children of new "Coloured" Americans will probably eat better than their parent immigrants and we will see a rise of their height, but I doubt it will catch rapidly the old Northwest European level.
    We do not drink Coca-Cola three hours before a match

Last Online
    03-30-2021 @ 12:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,595
    Given: 1,261

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hmaohma78 View Post
    Height is relevant to certain a degree, but I find some issues attributed to height is largely exaggerated especially on the internet.
    Like so many other things.

Companhia dos Leões da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,181
    Given: 16,897

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Luso View Post
    Even more sad for short people... the only thing to saddle onto was the narrative of : "well I mean look at Napoleon he was a successful leader and he is short" - short guy realizes he was avg at the time -- Rip short guy... 2020. You killed him

On a serious note, as a 5 ft 9 guy, which is technically average height here? People nowadays radicalize everything, even height, to the point where I am also considered short. So who makes the standard?
    Putin is more or less of the same stature as Napoleon and must be the most masculine world leader that occurs to me.

The global average height is 159.5 cm for women, and 171 cm for men, much lower than what most people realize it to be.
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Last Online
    04-08-2024 @ 10:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,494
    Given: 731

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    Putin is more or less of the same stature as Napoleon and must be the most masculine world leader that occurs to me.

The global average height is 159.5 cm for women, and 171 cm for men, much lower than what most people realize it to be.
    Except countries of Europe or with European-descent people, there is no human group that have average male height above 175 cm nowadays (maybe except some pockets in Senegal and among Nilotic people)
    We do not drink Coca-Cola three hours before a match

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,211
    Given: 15,984

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Luso View Post
    True, true, I suppose stature won't be as important as before in electing a president, or CEO for a business-- but honestly, we won't know for a long time if this proves true or not. In terms of the moral correct crisis, I'm not too sure if the height of a person is really a talked about feature of it at all? I mean it quite possibly could be... but I mean it's not only so engrained in biological attraction, but societally most people think of taller individuals as more mature, better people, and more successful besides the physical attraction. I don't expect women to see short guys as attractive just cause it's morally unfair to the short guy. But, oh well, I guess we'll see what the future has in store, I just won't voucher for, or, expect people to change their instincts when it comes to height in these departments.
    haha I don't believe height is an issue at all (morally speaking).. my point was more so that it is trivial when compared to the other issues our country is focused on.
    What’s done in darkness will come to light

Aging Tom Cat Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian, Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Ancestry
    Northern England, SE Ireland, Northern Ireland, Castilla Spain
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,000
    Given: 10,548

2 Not allowed!

height is only a major issue on anthroforums i think

Luso....as you are 5ft 9..in the average height range for a man, and still taller than most women.....you will not be discriminated against by most women for your height face to face

in the on-line world, alot more women seem to have idealised standards (ie they may say in an online dating profile, they want a man 6ft-6ft3, etc)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information