View Poll Results: Where would you place France?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Northern Europe

4 30.77%
  • Southern Europe

9 69.23%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: France

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,653
    Given: 21,705

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Although ultimately people vary most as individuals, by and large I'd say the French are more serious and reserved compared to actual Southern Europeans.

Portuguese are serious and reserved, they should be considered northern Europe too.

Do you think Irish people is more serious and reserved than average English people?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianus Rex View Post
    And the Irish are more loud mouthed and prone to party than most southern euros, what's the point ?
    And you Portugueses, are also quite serious and reserved.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,672
    Given: 882

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Samnium View Post
    Well, Catholicism is also fairly spread in Switzerland, Austria, Ireland ... I don't know where's your point.

It's very binary, I think what you've described would be true for Scandinavia, but there are countries in N.Europe that doesn't fit this idea. Also, the upper part of French is less family oriented than south so...

Culturally it may be the strongest tie, I agree, but culture isn't only language.

Not really, and I speak as a French, we are in our own case... French have a very different behavior than from Southern Euros, I can say that.

Our culture is neither northern or southern, and I wouldn't agree that's closer to Southern Euros, definitely not.
    I never understand why the French gastronomy is usually brought up as proof of their "southerness". The modern day Scandinavian, British, German, Dutch etc everyday dining is pretty much French-based. Simple meals include a protein, usually beef served with potatoes, either boiled, baked or as pommes château and with a cream-butter based sauce.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

This message is hidden because Aren is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list
    Oh, it´s true, I ignored Aren some days ago.

I was blind but now I see
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-27-2024 @ 12:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,655
    Given: 5,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    I never understand why the French gastronomy is usually brought up as proof of their "southerness". The modern day Scandinavian, British, German, Dutch etc everyday dining is pretty much French-based. Simple meals include a protein, usually beef served with potatoes, either boiled, baked or as pommes château and with a cream-butter based sauce.
    Following your reasoning Italian cuisine can not be southern European because norwegians typically eat pasta and pizza during the weekend.

I was talking about the traditional cuisines.

Nowadays most cuisines are being fusioned and many people end up eating differently from the traditional gastronomy of their countries. Also because of the american fast food influence, internet etc, people across the world end up eating much more similarly than a couple of generations ago. It's globalization, the members of my family in their 20's eat way more sushi, pasta, pizza and burgers than they do traditional Portuguese dishes, traditional cuisine is being put behind because it requires alot of work and preparation, not compatible with the modern life and desire of instant gratification.

And btw since when a steak and potatoes is particularly french cuisine? All cuisines around the world have similar simple meat dishes (a steak is something very simple), red meat was not even widely consumed in Europe until a few decades ago...potatos and alot of other ingredients/foods were introduced from the americas and asia during the age discoveries (mostly by the Portuguese and Spanish). Can you imagine Italian cuisine without tomatoes?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-30-2023 @ 01:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,672
    Given: 882

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianus Rex View Post
    Following your reasoning Italian cuisine can not be southern European because norwegians typically eat pasta and pizza during the weekend.

I was talking about the traditional cuisines.

Nowadays most cuisines are being fusioned and many people end up eating differently from the traditional gastronomy of their countries. Also because of the american fast food influence, internet etc, people across the world end up eating much more similarly than a couple of generations ago. It's globalization, the members of my family in their 20's eat way more sushi, pasta, pizza and burgers than they do traditional Portuguese dishes, traditional cuisine is being put behind because it requires alot of work and preparation, not compatible with the modern life and desire of instant gratification.

And btw since when a steak and potatoes is particularly french cuisine? All cuisines around the world have similar simple meat dishes (a steak is something very simple), red meat was not even widely consumed in Europe until a few decades ago...potatos and alot of other ingredients/foods were introduced from the americas and asia during the age discoveries (mostly by the Portuguese and Spanish). Can you imagine Italian cuisine without tomatoes?
    Using gastronomy as a way to link certain people in the modern era with one and other does not work for the reasons you bring up. The thing is though modern day Western household dining is based on the French kitchen. So to use it as a way to prove the southerness of the French cuisine is a bit odd, especially considering what defines the French gastronomy namely the Haute-Cuisine with it's complicated methods, butter based sauces, small meals etc hardly makes you think of southern Europe. Italian and Spanish cuisine is simple in technique, colorful and family friendly. That's not exactly what comes to mind when you think of the French cuisine.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austrian
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-S21/U106/M405
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,377
    Given: 8,718

1 Not allowed!

Using gastronomy as a way to link certain people in the modern era with one and other does not work for the reasons you bring up.
    In France there is the saying "savoire vivre"- to know how to life- this is totally against the mindset of a German- in a way you have to "figure out" life. On the hand Southeuros...
    i dont know how many French actually live by this credo (most likely not many since modern life isnt easy to figure that out) but i think there is some slight differences in approach. Its obviously only a saying.
    At the end France is more in the middle of things, but if the question is between Scandos/Balts and Finns or Southeuros- i would vote for the latter

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,689
    Given: 23,948

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    Middle. France is transitional. Northern region borders UK, Belgium, Netherlands and southern region borders Spain, Italy. You simply cant place France in one group.
    1- Northern regions dont border Netherlands.
    2- Belgium is not North Europe, UK neither.

I was blind but now I see
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-27-2024 @ 12:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,655
    Given: 5,621

0 Not allowed!

Using gastronomy as a way to link certain people in the modern era with one and other does not work for the reasons you bring up. The thing is though modern day Western household dining is based on the French kitchen. So to use it as a way to prove the southerness of the French cuisine is a bit odd, especially considering what defines the French gastronomy namely the Haute-Cuisine with it's complicated methods, butter based sauces, small meals etc hardly makes you think of southern Europe. Italian and Spanish cuisine is simple in technique, colorful and family friendly. That's not exactly what comes to mind when you think of the French cuisine.
    Haute cuisine/nouvelle cuisine was invented only a few decades ago, especially from the 50's / 60's on, mainly due to the influence of the mythical chef Paul Bocuse who trained thousands of chefs who exported that new french cuisine all over the world, it is not at all what the average french eat daily and not traditional french cuisine, with consistent dishes such as coq au vin, bouef bourgignon, bouillabaise, confit de canard, cassoulet, quenelles etc etc

In a general way traditional french cuisine is indeed more similar to other southern European cuisines, the Provençal is even purely mediterranean.

I don't think you are knowledgeable about Italian or Spanish cuisines to oversimplify, many traditional dishes are very elaborate and require several cooking stages but ok...and btw, the inland regions cuisine in southern Europe uses lots of butter and cheese of several animals etc.
    Last edited by Sebastianus Rex; 01-13-2021 at 02:43 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,689
    Given: 23,948

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    It is intermediate. Although they speak a Romance language and are (nominally) Catholic, ethnically and culturally the French have a lot more Germanic and Celtic influences than any other Romance people do.
    How Celtic influences are stronger in France than in Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by gixajo View Post
    Oh, it´s true, I ignored Aren some days ago.
    Man, you did well. So you dont have tooooo read him saying things as that "modern North European gastronomy is based in the French... because the potato"

Quote Originally Posted by Immanenz View Post
    In France there is the saying "savoire vivre"- to know how to life- this is totally against the mindset of a German- in a way you have to "figure out" life. On the hand Southeuros...
    In Spain we have the same saying "saber vivir". I imagine in Germany such saying does not exist, but can you translate me how would be?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information