Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In your country, are there cities near to each other that nevertheless have very different accents?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,753
    Given: 5,855

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Damião de Góis View Post
    I think Porto has a different accent from other nearby cities.

I watch snooker and i always thought strange that Stephen Hendry sounded very different from other scottish players like John Higgins or Stephen Maguire. I googled and Hendry is from Edinburgh and the others are from Glasgow so if those are good examples both accents sound very different to me.
    Stephen Hendry has a sort of Generic accent to me listening, I think he lived around different areas surrounding Edinburgh. John Higgins is pretty much West Coast, think he is Lanarkshire near Glasgow.

Gordon Strachan is good example of an Edinburgh accent. Robert Carlyle is a very good example of Glasgow.

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,068
    Given: 39,684

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CordedWhelp View Post
    Which one do you have?
    I have a kind Midwestern Accent, kinda subtle. Kinda of a generic western accent.
    Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.

Even if this were hard--that is how it is ! Assuredly, however, by far the harder fate is that which strikes the man who thinks he can overcome Nature, but in the last analysis only mocks her. Distress, misfortune, and diseases are her answer.

Kekgenes K13

1 Swahili+ Jew + Kekistani + Trailerparkistan @ 6.9420

M.T.A
    Celt + Frank (4.869)
    Viking Icelandic + Frank (5.463)
    Viking Icelandic + Celt (5.545)
    Celt + Saxon (5.789)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.283)
    Celt (6.539)
    Frank (10.13)
    Viking Icelandic (10.34)
    Viking Danish (10.4)
    Saxon (10.79)

kit 2
    Celt + Belgae (4.016)
    Viking Danish + Belgae (5.555)
    Belgae + Frank (5.797)
    Celt + Frank (6.031)
    Celt (6.297)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.441)
    Belgae (8.662)
    Viking Danish (8.925)
    Frank (9.409)
    Saxon (10.83)

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Coimbra, born and raised (old man from Santo Tirso)
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Eru Ilúvatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,511
    Given: 4,440

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Damião de Góis View Post
    I think Porto has a different accent from other nearby cities.

I watch snooker and i always thought strange that Stephen Hendry sounded very different from other scottish players like John Higgins or Stephen Maguire. I googled and Hendry is from Edinburgh and the others are from Glasgow so if those are good examples both accents sound very different to me.
    Portugal is riddled with accents from North to South and islands.
    Interesting, my perception, and I have extensive knowledge of this region, is that what we usually refer to as Northern accent in Portugal, which is the actually the accent from Porto and surrounding areas (Trás-os-Montes, the Northeast, for instance, is different altogether), (with some variations, which is what you might be referring to) only changes to the North in the far North of Minho (Viana do Castelo is perhaps transitional), to the East in Trás-os-Montes, and to the South somewhere inbetween Porto and Aveiro. I'm currently staying in Rio Tinto at my aunt's house, so I had a talk with her and her boyfriend, who are from the region, and here's what they said: Viana doesn't have much of this accent but I have a friend who's from there who does and singer Quim Barreiros from Vila Praia de Âncora also notoriously does (both with the local variant IMO), so this fits with my idea. In Monção and Melgaço the accent is not of the "Northern types" by what I've seen. Some of places with the strongest accent are my father's town, Santo Tirso, and Guimarães, also the historical Ribeira neighbourhood in Porto and Gondomar. To the south people from Santa Maria da Feira have the accent but Ovar not, so that's where it stops. I also have a friend from Arouca who's accent can best be described as transitional between Northern and Beira Alta.
    In the rest of the country, in Coimbra we speak the most standart Portuguese according to general knowledge (often said to be "no accent", maybe it makes more sense to say that it's just the accent that was adopted as standart), but in Tondela for instance their accent is thick Beira Alta, Salazar who was from Santa Comba Dão also had it.
    In the Azores they have what is likely to be the most distinct of all accents from Portugal (surprisingly similar to that of Madeira, people often mistake the two, I know I have). Azoreans wil tell you there is no such thing as Azorean accent and there is one for each island, but, while it varies from island to island, they can (at least mostly) be grouped in a family like the Northern accent IMO. Rabo de Peixe in São Miguel Island is renowned for it's thick accent, in this video I do have a hard time understanding some parts, some bits I have no clue what he said at all without subtitles. How about you? And for those who don't speak Portuguese, how does it sound? It's said to be French influenced from colonists, and it does sound so.
    “Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects with everything else.”
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    Quote Originally Posted by barnumandbailey View Post
    Women have hair so that you can grab them while you’re pounding from behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by michal3141 View Post
    Don't worry Roy. We're talking about some profound unsolved problem in science of computing (computer science).
    Quote Originally Posted by solarisregvm View Post
    You sound like an authority of people who know naked portuguese people ......
    Classify Hurtuv and Family 2022
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...nd-Family-2022

Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,438
    Given: 36,797

2 Not allowed!

In Spain, Catalans speak Castilian-Spanish with a very different accent from that spoken in Aragon or west of it (Madrid, Guadalajara, etc), and Galicians also speak with a very particular accent very different from those accents spoken in the Castilian mesetas. Then Andalusians speak with a particular accent very different from the accents spoken in most of the rest of Spain. But we are talking here about a distances of hundreds of Kilometers.

In the case of Venezuela, examples of cities relatively close to each other that speak with very different accents that come to my mind include Valencia and Barquisimeto, which are about 2 hours drive distance from each other. While in Valencia they speak an accent very similar to that spoken in Caracas and other large cities from the northern Central region of the country, in Barquisimeto they speak with a different accent that sounds like being half way between the accents from the northern Central region and the accent from Zulia state, in the very west of the country.

Then I think that the accent spoken in the city San Juan de Los Morros, located at only about 100 kilometers South southwest of Caracas, and similar distance south east from Maracay is noticeably different from the accents spoken in Caracas and Maracay. In San Juan de Los Morros they speak with a more "llanero" rural accent compared to the more urban accents spoken in Caracas or Maracay.

Another example that comes to my mind would be the cities of Barinas city and Merida city. In Barinas, located in the warm llanos from Barinas state, in the outskirts of the Andes, they speak with a rural llanero accent very different from that spoken in Merida city, located at a high altitude in the Andes, where they speak with an Andean accent very similar to the Colombian accent spoken in the Colombian Santanderes. Nevertheless, Barinas and Ciudad Merida are not that far from each other, but they are at very different altitudes, of course.
    Last edited by alnortedelsur; 01-15-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

1 Not allowed!

Yes: sparta and gytheio, chios and mytilini, apeiranthos and the rest of towns/villages in naxos, patra and nafpaktos, samos and Ikaria etc have quite different dialects from each other in spite of geographical proximity

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,998
    Given: 43,450

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    In Spain, Catalans speak Castilian-Spanish with a very different accent from that spoken in Aragon or west of it (Madrid, Guadalajara, etc), and Galicians also speak with a very particular accent very different from those accents spoken in the Castilian mesetas. Then Andalusians speak with a particular accent very different from the accents spoken in most of the rest of Spain. But we are talking here about a distances of hundreds of Kilometers.

In the case of Venezuela, examples of cities relatively close to each other that speak with very different accents that come to my mind include Valencia and Barquisimeto, which are about 2 hours drive distance from each other. While in Valencia they speak an accent very similar to that spoken in Caracas and other large cities from the northern Central region of the country, in Barquisimeto they speak with a different accent that sounds like being half way between the accents from the northern Central region and the accent from Zulia state, in the very west of the country.

Then I think that the accent spoken in the city San Juan de Los Morros, located at only about 100 kilometers South southwest of Caracas, and similar distance south east from Maracay is noticeably different from the accents spoken in Caracas and Maracay. In San Juan de Los Morros they speak with a more "llanero" rural accent compared to the more urban accents spoken in Caracas or Maracay.

Another example that comes to my mind would be the cities of Barinas city and Merida city. In Barinas, located in the warm llanos from Barinas state, in the outskirts of the Andes, they speak with a rural llanero accent very different from that spoken in Merida city, located at a high altitude in the Andes, where they speak with an Andean accent very similar to the Colombian accent spoken in the Colombian Santanderes. Nevertheless, Barinas and Ciudad Merida are not that far from each other, but they are at very different altitudes, of course.
    So Venezuelans from Merida are the ones who sound the most similar to people from the Andean parts of Colombia?

Last Online
    03-30-2021 @ 12:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,595
    Given: 1,261

2 Not allowed!

Even within the same state you can attest something like this, São Paulo being a prime example.

A stereotypical paulistano (i.e. from São Paulo City) accent:

The caipira (0:21) accent from Piracicaba:

I don't know if non-Portuguese speakers can notice the differences very well, but any Brazilian can tell them apart on the spot.

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,481
    Given: 6,982

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hurtuv View Post
    for those who don't speak Portuguese, how does it sound? It's said to be French influenced from colonists, and it does sound so.
    Portuguese sounds to us like Polish with an Arabic shade. Totally alien to French.
    How could French have influenced Portuguese?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Coimbra, born and raised (old man from Santo Tirso)
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Eru Ilúvatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,511
    Given: 4,440

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    Portuguese sounds to us like Polish with an Arabic shade. Totally alien to French.
    How could French have influenced Portuguese?
    The accent from the Azores (especially on that specific island) is what is said to be influenced by French colonists that settled there. Portuguese accent from the mainland is obviously not French influenced. Interesting, very rarely have I heard it said Portuguese has an Arabic shade.
    On another subject, your profile picture is Pointe du Raz right? I love Britanny, have been there twice.
    “Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects with everything else.”
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    Quote Originally Posted by barnumandbailey View Post
    Women have hair so that you can grab them while you’re pounding from behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by michal3141 View Post
    Don't worry Roy. We're talking about some profound unsolved problem in science of computing (computer science).
    Quote Originally Posted by solarisregvm View Post
    You sound like an authority of people who know naked portuguese people ......
    Classify Hurtuv and Family 2022
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...nd-Family-2022

Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,438
    Given: 36,797

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    So Venezuelans from Merida are the ones who sound the most similar to people from the Andean parts of Colombia?
    The states of Merida, Trujillo and Tachira.

Trujillo not that strongly similar but still somewhat similar, Merida in between, and Tachira the most.

Talking here about similarity with the Andean Colombian accent from the Santanderes, to be more precise.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information