Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been to East Asia?

Last Online
    05-27-2023 @ 02:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,802
    Given: 5,812

1 Not allowed!

Default Have you ever been to East Asia?

Have you ever visited, worked or lived in an East Asian country such as China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc.?

If so; how was your experience?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lesser Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y23110
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized East Nordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,760
    Given: 5,256

1 Not allowed!

Not yet but such trip is definitely on my radar.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Savages, Hillmen
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,002
    Given: 9,690

2 Not allowed!

Never but once Japan or S. Korea would be great

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,068
    Given: 15,883

1 Not allowed!

No, Japan is on my list though
    What’s done in darkness will come to light

Alexandro

3 Not allowed!

Yes, I have been to South Korea and Japan.

It was pretty fun, just went there as a tourist and met some chill people and saw a lot of cool things, I would like to go back after the pandemic has settled down.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    Yes, I have been to South Korea and Japan.

It was pretty fun, just went there as a tourist and met some chill people and saw a lot of cool things, I would like to go back after the pandemic has settled down.
    Did you have trouble finding people who can speak English?

Alexandro

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryujin View Post
    Did you have trouble finding people who can speak English?
    In SK the English proficiency is very good, especially for East Asia. in most situations if you were pressed you'd be able to find someone who could help you out in a problem/question you couldn't explain, you know. Although, it depends on who you are speaking to and where you're at, obviously most English speakers will be in the bigger cities (Seoul, Busan, Incheon, Daegu, etc). The older generation doesn't speak English at all though, but generally SK has more of an American influence and a lot of people go overseas for uni and you can tell.

Japan is a different story, there just isn't really a reason to learn English for a majority of Japanese people. English ability is more of a prestige mark or an occasionally useful oddity but 95% unnecessary for regular joes, you should be fine with popular tourism sites and some planning. Most large cities have signage in Japanese and English/Romaji, and tourist sites will have signage in English as well. All train stations (I think) have English/Romaji signage at least to say what station it is, and many have English translations on ticket machines and trains that announce stops in English.

I wouldn't count on people being able to speak English, but many service industry people, especially in places that foreigners hang around and are pretty helpful with hand signals, etc. If you go some place like Sensoji in Tokyo, there's probably a few dozen restaurants in that area that have signage saying "We have English menus", for example.

There's some more out of the way tourist places or bars/restaurants that don't have outward English signage where I wouldn't expect people to be able to speak English or to help you out a lot, and that could be a problem. Of course, knowing some Japanese beforehand will make transactions easier, and might lead to a more interesting cultural experience!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    In SK the English proficiency is very good, especially for East Asia. in most situations if you were pressed you'd be able to find someone who could help you out in a problem/question you couldn't explain, you know. Although, it depends on who you are speaking to and where you're at, obviously most English speakers will be in the bigger cities (Seoul, Busan, Incheon, Daegu, etc). The older generation doesn't speak English at all though, but generally SK has more of an American influence and a lot of people go overseas for uni and you can tell.

Japan is a different story, there just isn't really a reason to learn English for a majority of Japanese people. English ability is more of a prestige mark or an occasionally useful oddity but 95% unnecessary for regular joes, you should be fine with popular tourism sites and some planning. Most large cities have signage in Japanese and English/Romaji, and tourist sites will have signage in English as well. All train stations (I think) have English/Romaji signage at least to say what station it is, and many have English translations on ticket machines and trains that announce stops in English.

I wouldn't count on people being able to speak English, but many service industry people, especially in places that foreigners hang around and are pretty helpful with hand signals, etc. If you go some place like Sensoji in Tokyo, there's probably a few dozen restaurants in that area that have signage saying "We have English menus", for example.

There's some more out of the way tourist places or bars/restaurants that don't have outward English signage where I wouldn't expect people to be able to speak English or to help you out a lot, and that could be a problem. Of course, knowing some Japanese beforehand will make transactions easier, and might lead to a more interesting cultural experience!
    I'd definitely like to hang around less touristic areas for a more quality experience I opened this thread because I'm planning to work in one of those countries. (most probably Hong Kong)
    Last edited by Ryujin; 02-11-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Not White
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,495
    Given: 884

2 Not allowed!

Yes, lived in Japan.

Nice country, almost everything works. However the social rules are a pain in the ass overall.

Alexandro

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryujin View Post
    I'd definitely like to hang around less touristic areas for a more quality experience I opened this thread because I'm planning to work in one of those countries.
    Hmm, well. For me I vastly prefer South Korea and wouldn't mind living there, Japan is cool to visit but from the people I know who tried living there it isn't the greatest for a westerner.

(Incoming wall of text, but you're interested in moving there so I guess you want to read this, no)

The public transportation is vastly more expensive in Japan, do not be shocked to spend $20 on trains to go around Tokyo on a given day, buses are twice as expensive as in SK, taxis are significantly more expensive than in Korea. Literally everyone raves about Japan's public transportation, but I can only assume that they've never been anywhere else in their lives, lmao. The trains in Japan are perpetually late, and on top of that, I never experienced the kinds of daily commuter traffic in Seoul that I experienced in Tokyo. Every day is misery on those fucking trains, Christ.

The people in Japan are incredibly polite, but not in a necessarily likable way. A robot can be polite too, if you catch my drift. In SK, someone may be having an awful day and you'll know it, but most people are incredibly friendly! If you visit the same places every day, Korean staff will warm up to and remember you.. In Japan, this will never happen and when you visit a place it will always feel like the first time unless it's a locally owned business where the only person is the owner and they will not speak to you like a human.

South Korea is truly the land which never sleeps while Japan is the land of the 8pm sleepy time, hahahaha. Unless you're in Shibuya or some shit you are going to get bored. But, Tokyo obviously has way more to do than you could ever dream of. Finding out about everything is a challenge, as with any city

The cost of living is about the same for most things, but according to some of my friends who lived in both countries, in SK, you give a huge deposit and you pay less rent and you get your deposit back. In Japan, you pay a huge deposit and you pay almost double the rent and you don't get the deposit back. On top of that, if you're not Japanese, your housing options are limited, since people often discriminate against foreigners.

Japan is a much more beautiful place than SK though, because there really is not a lot of respect for nature in SK. When you see a beautiful valley, it is probably accompanied by some shitty high rise apartments. Also, there is fucking garbage everywhere in Korea while Japan is generally spotless, air quality is better in Japan, too. The weather is more temperate in Tokyo, I think Seoul is generally more extreme. Japan is very peaceful while SK is much more chaotic/frenetic, especially in Seoul. There are just more young people in Seoul, while Japan feels like a nursing home sometimes. South Korea seems like a great place to actually live, Japan's very polished, SK is very rough around the edges. To me SK is like a mixture of the worst parts of China (from how I've heard it described) and the best parts of Japan.
    Last edited by Alexandro; 02-11-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information