Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Personal Views of Irreligious People (Atheist, Agn. Theist. and Phylosophy foll.)

Alexandro

6 Not allowed!

I consider myself an atheist (perhaps leaning to agnosticism because I do not rule out the existence of some higher power, there is simply no reason to believe it true currently), but grew up in a Spanish household so would also describe myself as sort of "culturally catholic", if that makes any sense. In my life, nothing took place that made me "renounce" god, the belief just kind of faded without any pressure to maintain it, but for what it is worth I can see why people believe or have faith in religion or a god. However, from my perspective the universe is an immensely majestic place, life does happen to be incredibly complex, and so to merely attribute that to some god originates from a lack of understanding and/or wanting to ascribe meaning.

I also have no idea why people assume that there necessarily has to be some greater meaning to life, from my perspective our sole inherent purpose is to hydrogenate carbon dioxide, haha, but if you want or need a meaning to your own life then go ahead and create one. I don't care what others believe if it does not affect me, in fact many of my friends are religious and we get along just fine, you know.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lesser Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y23110
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized East Nordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,760
    Given: 5,256

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilcar View Post
    I consider myself to be agnostic which implies being open to all sorts of possibilities regarding this universe, death, god, etc but at the same time I viewed religions as man-made. I don't think one religion possesses the truth while the others don't. I also think the way religions tend to describe our universe and its "creator" is way too "childish", simplistic. The concept of a God punishing humans with fire or reward them with superficial pleasures doesn't make sense to me. If there is something behind all of this, it's surely way way more complex and mindblowing than what we might think. Moreover I've always had a very rational/scientific mind, I can't really deal with superstitions or beliefs/faith, I need empirical facts.

As for the meaning of life, I don't think there is any of it, life is absurd by essence (That's what I think for the moment) which might be disturbing for smart animals like us. Therefore I think we have to cope with it and create our own goals, in my case it's thirst for knowledge that keeps me alive lol.
    Well put. I completely agree.

Last Online
    05-18-2021 @ 07:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    Northern Euboea
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,448
    Given: 668

4 Not allowed!

1.For me things are simple. Religions are the result of anthropocentrism and an emotional way of viewing life.

2.There is certainly not a universal goal of life.

3. Morality comes from our inherent empathy. Claiming that morality was invented by religions is an ugly attack on human intelligence.

The main reason though that I don't believe in God is that it makes no difference. I fail to see in what way a believer is better than a non believer.
    https://i.imgur.com/kCivWcA.jpg

Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Portuguese (North and Azores) Italian (Veneto) Native and SSA minor
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,745
    Given: 749

1 Not allowed!

I put Catholic on my profile but honestly just because I am "culturally Catholic" I was raised and a Catholic family etc, but honestly I am far from being the example of one. I don't attend churches, the last time I entered a church was at the seventh day Mass of my grandmother's death about 3 years ago. I would say that with each passing day I found myself more and more agnostic, because I don't ask God for anything, I can't say "God please do this in my life" or things like that, I can't believe the Bible, I can't believe in stories like Adam and Eve, Noah's ark, Moses etc. And I completely agree with Hamilcar, the way religions tend to describe our universe and its "creator" is very "childish", simplistic. If there is anything behind it, it is certainly much more complex and mind-boggling than we might think.

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    England
    mtDNA
    U2e1
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,230
    Given: 5,568

0 Not allowed!

I just don't believe that one god exists, creator of everything. The universe is too complex but things that can't be explained yet, will be in the future, while science advances further. Religion had purpose hundreds of years ago when people weren't able to rationalize natural processes so they had to attribute to something of higher power since they didn't have the means to analyze phenomena and lead to conclusions.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Zurückhaltung
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    We will run and scream
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,215
    Given: 4,457

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakis View Post
    Morality comes from our inherent empathy. Claiming that morality was invented by religions is an ugly attack on human intelligence.
    Additionally, morality which was forced upon person by a "supreme power" is NOT real morality. Its only "fear factor" from the supposed fire in the hell. Only inherent empathy is morality, which is person's own choice, not something dictated.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    For being the last atheism thread shut down while heated debates continue i wanted the see personal opinions of irreligious users about goal of life, death and morality like subjects. In the previous thread some users ideas really surprised me. I want to observe also other POVs. I dont want monotheistic believers (judaism,christianity,islam and all derivates of these) to intervene because i want to debate with people who already know these religions are faulty.(and also if i wanted to be preached i would listen to my father not you) But pagans, confucianists , spiritualists etc are welcome.
    !!! This topic is only for irreligious people please do not spam the thread like last time!!!
    The goal of life strictlly speaking is to pass on your genes although you do not necessarily have to since humans have the intelligence to over ride that instinct. The goal of life philosophically speaking is this : life is to be gotten over and not to be enjoyed. One of the biggest mistakes is to think that since there is likely no god that morality can't be justified on philosophical grounds or that life is merely materialistic with no moral dimensions. When you die that is the end of everything you cease to exist but that does not mean you should think you are special since you are tiny speck of dust in an almost infinitely large universe. It might be better for my country and people if I was Episcopalian but I can't force myself to literally believe it that is the problem in a nutshell.

I don't think that religion is important to human happiness in the modern world. It was in the time of French thinker Diderot and before that but nowadays your happiness relies more than you realize on math or the correct interpretation of government statistics; however, I don't think we exist in order to be happy.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,624
    Given: 21,630

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    Additionally, morality which was forced upon person by a "supreme power" is NOT real morality. Its only "fear factor" from the supposed fire in the hell. Only inherent empathy is morality, which is person's own choice, not something dictated.
    I agree, the moral (or ethical) act must start from the initiative of the person,and being voluntary, and not from the fear of punishment(neither provided by a superior being, nor by society).

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,624
    Given: 21,630

0 Not allowed!

It seems that the recurring troll who makes false accounts just to give thumbs down, is someone religious.

Last Online
    04-02-2021 @ 04:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cenobita
    Ancestry
    Africa
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Parana
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Meaning of life: For me life is meaningless in a great sense, but you could find meaning if you create something.
    Death: I think we are kind of immortal, we only transform this form into another. I think that we don't regain conscience after death but our group of atoms only split and form a new group.
    Morals: As an atheist I could perceive that life is terrible and because of that I became vegetarian and an anti-natalist. I feel more compassion towards other living beings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information