Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eastern European and Balkans genetic ethnicities per country according to MyHeritage

The least civilized TA user Terminator98's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-25-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Alien
    Ancestry
    Mars
    Country
    Antarctica
    Taxonomy
    Boogeyman
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,243
    Given: 2,783

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ion Basescul View Post
    Not really, the Paleo-Balkan component is Greek & South Italian, as strange as that sounds. It's not uncommon to find Ukrainians and Poles scoring over 50% Balkan.
    And what did I said? I said that "Balkan" category is mixed category which contains around 50% of Slavic and 50% of pre-Slavic genetics. It's hybrid category which is closest to Serbian average (50/50), that's why almost every Serb gets "Balkan" + something else (or, in some cases nothing else). About UA/POL, I know that some of them have certain "Vlach" admixture, but I've never seen anyone from these two countries with 50% of "Balkan" or over.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Healthy human being
    Country
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,505
    Given: 1,507

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
    And what did I said? I said that "Balkan" category is mixed category which contains around 50% of Slavic and 50% of pre-Slavic genetics. It's hybrid category which is closest to Serbian average (50/50), that's why almost every Serb gets "Balkan" + something else (or, in some cases nothing else). About UA/POL, I know that some of them have certain "Vlach" admixture, but I've never seen anyone from these two countries with 50% of "Balkan" or over.
    We misunderstood each other then. What I meant is that Balkan here is radically different than on 23andme, where both Albanians/Greeks and Serbs/Croats can score 100% of it. Here that doesn't happen.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 04:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unknown
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,471
    Given: 1,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ion Basescul View Post
    Not really, the Paleo-Balkan component is Greek & South Italian, as strange as that sounds. It's not uncommon to find Ukrainians and Poles scoring over 50% Balkan.
    some South Slavs get a combination of Greek & South Italian and East Euro, and some get 80%+ Balkan instead.
    from what i've seen, those from Serbia,Bosnia and Montenegro tend to get the 80%+ Balkan, while other south Slavs get that Greek/East Euro combination instead, but i've seen very few results.

and anyways, all of this will change completely with the ethnicity update.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Lavanttaler
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    R-BY96309
    mtDNA
    H5-T16304C
    Politics
    Remove быдло
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,091
    Given: 2,295

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vbnetkhio View Post
    ...and anyways, all of this will change completely with the ethnicity update.
    Thanks, when is this update sceduled to come?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 04:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unknown
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,471
    Given: 1,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by noricum View Post
    Thanks, when is this update sceduled to come?
    I think it was supposed to come together with the genetic communities update, but they decided to release those earlier, and postpone the ethnicity update for later, so it should come soon, I guess.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,955
    Given: 12,178

0 Not allowed!

German admixture can show up as NW Euro and also as Scandinavian on myheritage tests. So since 30% of Hungarians score some Scandinavian, in reality more than 40% of Hungarian scored some German, but we don't know exactly how much of them did because the two overlaps: a person can score NW euro and Scandinavian at the same time. So this "study" is total BS in my eyes, because it doesn't answer anything and only creates further questions. Why couldn't they just create country avarages which display how much % Eastern European, Balkan, NW Euro etc the avarage person from a country scores (and those percentages should add up to 100 of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Yup, a very good additional point to keep in mind.
    I scored "7.5% Welsh/Irish/Scottish" on myheritage... so yeah. On the other hand MH rawdata is better than 23andme afaik.
    Last edited by Universe; 02-25-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-23-2022 @ 01:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Magyar
    Ancestry
    Historic Hungary/Holy Roman Empire
    Country
    Hungary
    Y-DNA
    R-M417 (8700 ybp)
    mtDNA
    H10-a T16093C (9000 ybp)
    Politics
    Green Left
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,864
    Given: 444

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    German admixture can show up as NW Euro and also as Scandinavian on myheritage tests. So since 30% of Hungarians score some Scandinavian, in reality more than 40% of Hungarian scored some German, but we don't know exactly how much of them did because the two overlaps: a person can score NW euro and Scandinavian at the same time. So this "study" is total BS in my eyes, because it doesn't answer anything and only creates further questions. Why couldn't they just create country avarages which display how much % Eastern European, Balkan, NW Euro etc the avarage person from a country scores (and those percentages should add up to 100 of course)
    I scored "7.5% Welsh/Irish/Scottish" on myheritage... so yeah. On the other hand MH rawdata is better than 23andme afaik.
    Country average would already be a much bigger improvement to what they provide now, but ethnic averages would be even more helpful, since many countries have multiethnic populations, so the country average wouldn't really reflect in such cases the real ancestry of the historically majority population of that given country. In Hungary every citizen of our country is a Hungarian national, no matter race, language spoken or creed, but there is also a Hungarian ethnicity within it, which is different based on culture, language, historical ancestry and so on from Hungarians of German, Roma, Jewish, mixed or any other ancestry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information