Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Europeans: roughly around what year or decade did English become widespread in your country?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,586
    Given: 462

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    I would coin it with the advent of internet. Some sort of Anglophone culture through American tv shows, music and cinema had infused before that but when it comes to specifically language, i believe it started around the mid 90's, and as the internet became more mainstream early 2000 most of content was forced initially to be consumed in English language.

Nowadays people become decently capable to at least understand English by watching tv shows and reading articles on the internet. The generation before who just learned it in school, isn't, or not much more than what they remember of their German or Italian classes.
    I learned English on the internet. In school, I struggled with it and had to be placed in a special education class (just English, not as a whole). Then after a few years, the teacher wondered what I was doing here and thought something was clearly wrong for having put me there.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

1 Not allowed!

I started elementary school in 98/99, and we learned English since the first grade.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,456
    Given: 5,720

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Östsvensk View Post
    I learned English on the internet. In school, I struggled with it and had to be placed in a special education class (just English, not as a whole). Then after a few years, the teacher wondered what I was doing here and thought something was clearly wrong for having put me there.
    I had a similar experience. I was like like average in English classes, it was a bit of a recreation hour frankly for most and it wasn't accounting for much in our overall score. Then went to some long exchange student program in Oxford. Few months later, my english teacher back home couldn't believe the progress i made. Then i just started consuming things in English, and that's pretty much it. English at moderate level i believe, is incredibly easy to learn the moment you are routinely exposed to it, which the previous generation lacked greatly. Only those who painfully went through years of serious English classes in the education system are decent, which is rare.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,209
    Given: 43,751

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    I started elementary school in 98/99, and we learned English since the first grade.
    How much did your time in New York improve your English?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    How much did your time in New York improve your English?
    Not that much to be honest. I adopted New Yorker accent by the end of my stay there but quickly lost it when I came home. At home in Brooklyn with my host family I spoke Croatian.
    Before America, I spent two summers learning English in Cambridge and Dublin and had lot of exposure to English trough out my entire life (pop culture, family overseas, extra english classes outside of school, I do some translations on legal English for my job as well).

I consider my English very inadequate and poor compared to how much money and time my parents and life overall invested into me learning it. But I never bothered to improve it much anyways. I speak with eastern European accent instead of western one because I like it that way and never understood eastern Europeans who try hard to speak Queen's English or US styled English. I'm lazy and don't care to make too much effort and find it fake on top of it.

Some people are naturally talented for languages (usually those with good ear and musical abilities) but I am not. Learned Italian and German in shcool but forgot almost everything. I forgot much of Hungrian I knew as well. Languages are simply not my baustelle as Germans say.
    Last edited by Jana; 04-16-2023 at 08:21 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,586
    Given: 462

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Not that much to be honest. I adopted New Yorker accent by the end of my stay there but quickly lost it when I came home. At home in Brooklyn with my host family I spoke Croatian.
    Before America, I spent two summers learning English in Cambridge and Dublin and had lot of exposure to English trough out my entire life (pop culture, family overseas, extra english classed outside of school, I do some translations on legal English for my job as well).

I consider my English very inadequate and poor compared to how much money and time my parents and life overall invested into me learning it. But I never bothered to improve it much anyways. I speak with eastern European accent instead on western one because I like it that way and never understood eastern Europeans who try hard to speak Queen's English or US styled English. I'm lazy and don't care to make too much effort and find it fake on top of it.

Some people are naturally talented for languages (usually those with good ear and musical abilities) but I am not. Learned Italian and German in shcool but forgot almost everything. I forgot much of Hungrian I knew as well. Languages are simply not my baustelle as Germans say.
    It's very hard to learn a second language and sound native anyway. Bad pronunciation if it's Borat level is one thing, but expecting a fully native dialect is just too much IMHO. Even Trey Parker who is an extremely talented voice actor and speaks English natively thought it was difficult to pull off a Southern accent.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly something
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,594
    Given: 48,323

1 Not allowed!

Probably 2000s. Before that I suppose the knowledge of Russian and German was more common as a foreign language.

Currently it is essentially only older people (by that I mean 50+ who do not speak or understand English).
    Last edited by Roy; 04-16-2023 at 08:31 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information