"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    sub-brachycephalic+Atlanto-Mediterranean+Caucasus-Alpine
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,455
    Given: 1,640

0 Not allowed!

Post Cult of Zahhak/Azi Dahhak and ancient Iran

Ancient Iran might have been a conglomeration of people from Iran_N, South Asia, Mesopotamia/Levant and BMAC until Steppe pastoralists groups took over BMAC after 1800BC (https://indo-european.eu/2018/07/bma...-central-asia/). The Presence of South Asian Y-dna H-Z2772, L1, L2 etc... in Shahr-e-Sokhte indicates South asian were thriving there prior to the arrival of Steppe pastoralists through BMAC. In addition cult of Zahhák which probably indicates Mesopotamians ruling parts of Iran with South Asians and EBA groups working for them forming a beneficial trade networks. The presence of Snake man in Elam and cult of snake man Zahhak and the seals of IVC of Pashupati like early god who later sports Snake shows there was cross exchange of ideas.

In the early parts of Shahnameh (book of kings), for example, we witness the prolonged reign of Zahhák and at the end again we witness the victory of Mesopotamians over Iranians (as another instance of prevalence of evil), which is consistent with the grim future that Rustam predicts for Iranians.

Zahhák sat on the throne a thousand years
    Obeyed by all the world. Through that long time
    The customs of the wise were out of vogue,
    The lusts of madmen flourished everywhere,
    All virtue was despised, black art esteemed,
    Right lost to sight, disaster manifest;
    While diva accomplished their fell purposes
    And no man spoke of good unless by stealth…

Later new hero Farídún, probably indicating metal age Steppe invaders practicing Zurvanite or Zoroastrianism, successfully defeating ancient Iran ruler and taking over kingdom is written in Shahnameh.

Zahhāk or Zahāk (pronounced [zćhɒːk]) (Persian: ضحّاک‎) is an evil figure in Persian mythology, evident in ancient Persian folklore as Azhi Dahāka (Persian: اژی دهاک‎), the name by which he also appears in the texts of the Avesta. In Middle Persian he is called Dahāg (Persian: دهاگ‎) or Bēvar Asp (Persian: بیور اسپ‎) the latter meaning “he who has 10,000 horses”. In Zoroastrianism, Zahhak (going under the name Aži Dahāka) is considered the son of Angra Mainyu, the foe of Ahura Mazda. In the Shāhnāmah of Ferdowsi, Zahhāk is the son of a ruler named Merdās.

Etymology and derived words
    Aži (nominative ažiš) is the Avestan word for “serpent” or “dragon.” It is cognate to the Vedic Sanskrit word ahi, “snake,” and without a sinister implication.

The original meaning of dahāka is uncertain. Among the meanings suggested are “stinging” (source uncertain), “burning” (cf. Sanskrit dahana), “man” or “manlike” (cf. Khotanese daha), “huge” or “foreign” (cf. the Dahae people and the Vedic dasas). In Persian mythology, Dahāka is treated as a proper noun, and is the source of the Ḍaḥḥāk (Zahhāk) of the Shāhnāme.

The Avestan term Aži Dahāka and the Middle Persian azdahāg are the source of the Middle Persian Manichaean demon of greed Az, Old Armenian mythological figure Aždahak, modern Persian aždehâ / aždahâ and Tajik Persian azhdahâ and Urdu Azhdahā (اژدها) as well as the Kurdish ejdîha (ئەژدیها) which usually mean “dragon”.

Despite the negative aspect of Aži Dahāka in mythology, dragons have been used on some banners of war throughout the history of Iranian peoples.

https://www.bl.uk/learning/cult/insi.../synopsis.html
    Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 Medals -> https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-the-Deep-dive
    G25 Distance: 1.0778%
    86.2 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2
    5.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940 1.4 ITA_Daunian
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H
    3.6 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA:VK464

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    sub-brachycephalic+Atlanto-Mediterranean+Caucasus-Alpine
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,455
    Given: 1,640

0 Not allowed!

It is associated with the Jiroft culture, an "independent Bronze Age civilization with its own architecture and language", intermediate between Elam to the west and the Indus Valley Civilization to the east.

Covering an area of 151 hectares, Shahr-i Sokhta was one of the world's largest cities at the dawn of the urban era. In the western part of the site is a vast graveyard. It contains between 25,000 to 40,000 ancient graves

The settlement appeared around 3200 BC. The city had four stages of civilization and was burnt down three times before being abandoned in 2100 BC. The site was discovered and investigated by Aurel Stein in the early 1900s.

https://www.worldheritagesite.org/list/Shahr-i+Sokhta

https://www.welcometoiran.com/burnt-...ahr-e-sukhteh/
    Shahr‑i Sokhta “Burnt City” is located in Sistan plain of the southeastern part of Iranian Plateau, close to the Afghanistan and Pakistan borders. At its greatest expanse the site was over 150 hectares making it the largest city at the dawn of the urban era in the Helmand Basin. The site was discovered by Stein in the early 1900s. Beginning in 1967, the site was excavated by an Italian mission under supervision of Maurizio Tosi3 who continued his work until 1978. After a gap, work at the site was resumed in 1997 by an Iranian team under the direction of Mansour Sajjadi4. The excavations have partly revealed the layout and organization of the urban center of Shahr‑i Sokhta. Like the Italian mission, the ongoing work of Sajjadi has been concentrated in three main parts of the site: cemetery in the southwestern part of the site, residential area in the eastern and northeastern parts and craftsmen’s area in the north. The cultural sequence of Shahr‑i Sokhta is a continuous development, subdivided in four periods, which begins in the late 4th millennium until the abandonment of the city at the beginning of the 2nd millennium BC. Earliest occupation of the site, Period I, is contemporary with the Proto-Elamite culture of the late fourth millennium. In the two following periods – periods II and III are attributed to early to late 3rd millennium BC – when Shahr‑i Sokhta was a well-organized large urban center comprised of administrative and public buildings; an artisan’s quarter for various specialized craft activities including copper, lapis lazuli, turquoise, alabaster and flint; residential areas; and a vast graveyard. Period IV, at the very end of the third millennium, Shahr‑i Sokhta shrunk to a small village of about 5 ha in response to a drastic climate change and shift in the course of the Helmand River before it be abandoned in the initial of 2nd millennium BC.

Southeastern Iran urbanized during 3rd and 2nd millenia was a focal point on the Mesopotamia trade networks connecting South Asia and BMAC. The presence of H-Z2772 and L1 samples there during this early Bronze age but no R1a-657 shows that the people of South Asia played a central role prior to the movement of Steppe people through invasion of BMAC.

My own sample matches the Shahr-e-Sokhte samples closely.

Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 Medals -> https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-the-Deep-dive
    G25 Distance: 1.0778%
    86.2 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2
    5.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940 1.4 ITA_Daunian
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H
    3.6 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA:VK464

Thread Information