View Poll Results: Of which religion do you feel the most kinship with?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protestantism

5 50.00%
  • Orthodoxy

2 20.00%
  • I like/dislike both in equal measure

3 30.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catholic people, of which religion do you feel the most kinship with? Protestantism or Orthodoxy?

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,119
    Given: 10,159

2 Not allowed!

There are arguments on both side. For Orthodoxy, Catholicism is closer in terms of the theology, sacraments, and the overall belief system. The two agree on most issues where as Protestants deviate significantly with the 5 solae, their views on Mary, etc. However (European) Protestants share a common history and civilisation with Catholic’s, being ex Catholics. And in the case of traditional Lutherans and Anglican’s have a very similar liturgy. On this basis it’s basically 50/50, but with European Protestant churches being now significantly more Liberal than Catholic/Orthodox I would say Catholic and Orthodox people are more similar.

The biggest outliers are of course American Evangelicals with their lack of liturgy, no baptism, independent churches led by pastors in jeans and a checkered shirt, etc.

Holy Masjid
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Chelovek Mira
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Washington
    Taxonomy
    black, muscular, and zero gay, 100kg weight bench
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57,891
    Given: 58,567

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    There are arguments on both side. For Orthodoxy, Catholicism is closer in terms of the theology, sacraments, and the overall belief system. The two agree on most issues where as Protestants deviate significantly with the 5 solae, their views on Mary, etc. However (European) Protestants share a common history and civilisation with Catholic’s, being ex Catholics. And in the case of traditional Lutherans and Anglican’s have a very similar liturgy. On this basis it’s basically 50/50, but with European Protestant churches being now significantly more Liberal than Catholic/Orthodox I would say Catholic and Orthodox people are more similar.

The biggest outliers are of course American Evangelicals with their lack of liturgy, no baptism, independent churches led by pastors in jeans and a checkered shirt, etc.
    This
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    Mark 13:33 — “Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.”
    (5:56) "Whoever allies themselves with Allah, His Messenger, and fellow believers, then it is certainly Allah's party that will prevail. All who ally themselves with God and His Messenger and the believers will be victorious."

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,119
    Given: 10,159

0 Not allowed!

Despite my above post, I think if you're looking at smaller groups these people would probably be the closest non catholic denomination to Catholics overall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Catholicism

Basically they're formal Anglicans, who follow the Catholic liturgy/belief system to the T on everything except the Papacy. However, with the increased Liberalization of the Anglican church on social issues, a huge percentage of them have formally become Catholic. Pope Benedict XVI even created an ordinate for them to accept jurisdiction of the Pope whilst keeping their traditions. With the Liberalization of the Catholic church, I think most traditionalists have either converted to Catholicism or more conservative forms of Protestantism. The only people left active within the Anglican church are old people and some very Liberal types.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information