Brunei
    Region
    Prussia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 35

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos One View Post
    De verdad Santiago no es tan Euro asi, solo en regiones como Las Condes/Providencia/Vitacura.

Mira que donde yo vivia casi siempre era visto como gringo (Parte Sur de Santiago), mi esposa era incluso mucho peor porque es rubia de ojos verdes.
    Si eres blanco en Chile, ya ligan tu a Las Condes, verdad? White privilege seems big there.

Last Online
    01-05-2024 @ 11:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    CUCARACHA
    Country
    Liechtenstein
    Taxonomy
    CUCARACHA
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,395
    Given: 890

1 Not allowed!

Los chilenos euro-pasables (no digamos ya pasables en el norte de Europa) son una rareza, y en el 90%+ de los casos pertenecen a clases medio-altas o altas.

Tampoco nos vengamos arriba con que abundan por la calle.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Not White
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,495
    Given: 884

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TSR3226 View Post
    Si eres blanco en Chile, ya ligan tu a Las Condes, verdad? White privilege seems big there.
    More like this. I mean, if you're northern euro looking in fact. If you're just Southern Euro, people can think anything.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Not White
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,495
    Given: 884

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chile Raptor View Post
    Seguros los blondos son muy común en Brasil...sobre todo en las Favelas donde bailó Michael Jackson
    Being common or not doesn't mean it does not exist.

However, here in Săo Paulo is easier to find a blonde person than Santiago. Even not being that common at all.

Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022
    Given: 2,705

0 Not allowed!

El mito del blondismo chileno. Si alguien viera un comercial de Falabella, pensaría que todos los chilenos son suecos.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-27-2022 @ 08:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Great Britain
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,628
    Given: 697

0 Not allowed!

My wife's spanish is basically native.

However, she looks North/NE European in fact. Far from the common chilean.
    Umm yeah but what's your point? Blue-eyed blondes are a tiny minority in Brazil as well —I'd say under 5% of the population.

Being common or not doesn't mean it does not exist.

However, here in Săo Paulo is easier to find a blonde person than Santiago. Even not being that common at all.
    Yeah I agree —it's easier to find a blonde person in Săo Paulo. But you're still exaggerating when you say that people will assume anyone who is a blue-eyed blonde is a 'gringo' haha.

Quote Originally Posted by samario View Post
    El mito del blondismo chileno. Si alguien viera un comercial de Falabella, pensaría que todos los chilenos son suecos.
    This is also true haha.

Last Online
    10-26-2023 @ 12:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo and Ashkenazi
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 17

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Costas View Post
    Secondly, I've always said over 90% of Chileans are mixed —and I would actually say over 95%. I do, however, think 'white' is a concept that, in reality, is related to how someone looks rather than their DNA. I suppose you've been posting on this forum for a while now, so I would expect you to know that genetics work in a funny way.

Finally, I've always acknowledged that 'White Chileans' —as I said, 'White' is a weird concept, having different meanings in different countries— are mostly found in the Chilean elite. As the Brazilian guy was saying, they're far more common in posh districts such as Vitacura or Las Condes.

So yeah, please be careful with what you say. I clearly don't like being portrayed as a racist, particularly on this forum where racist people are pretty much found everywhere —which is why I only post on the Latin American section anyway, where there's still a ton of racist people such as that Mexican saying people have 'chinky' (a racial slur) eyes.
    Being "white" and all racial labels are social constructs. They're not real and have ever changing definitions. 4-5 centuries ago, European explorers considered East Asian people to be "white" because of their white skin. Then they decided to call them "yellow", and then finally decided that "yellow" was an "offensive/outdated" term, and now the "Asian" label usually refers only to East Asians, at least in countries like the United States. Even though Asia is home to 4.5 billion people and many different ethnic and racial backgrounds, such as the sharp contrast between West and South Asians vs East and Southeast Asians. The same goes with any other racial label. In the past, anyone who was darker skinned may have been described as being "black", and the Amerindians use to be described as being part of the "red race" or "red-skinned", at least in the Anglophone world (but that term is now "outdated" as well).

I was reading about how Chile never received large scale European immigration like Argentina, Uruguay and Southern Brazil. This was mainly due to location. European immigrants came from the Atlantic, not the Pacific and it was much easier to reach the other countries then cross the Andes to get there. This might also explain why Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador never received large scale immigration comparable to their other South American neighbours (though it could also be because there were always far more Mestizo/Amerindians as well).

I had a professor from Chile last year. She looked harnizo-mestizo range but with lighter skin. When we did a project on various countries and whatever, I got Chile and found a bunch of links to studies and papers on the countries history and genetics/demographics. My professor then explained that it's common for many Chileans to have varying degrees of Amerindian DNA, regardless on whether or not its shows in their physical appearance or if they'll be perceived as such. I saw an interesting study which claimed that many Chileans who said they were "white" were only about 54% European. Which I guess further shows that "race" is meaningless. That's not to say that there aren't Chileans with who are predominantly or fully European or that there are Chileans on the mestizo range who are darker. Look at Snooki who was born in Chile, but adopted and raised by an American couple. A DNA test showed that she was about 60% Amerindian and 40% European. I'm guessing that since Snooki's biological family put her up for adoption, she was likely from a more poorer background.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Chilean with minor Spanish and Dalmatian Croat
    Country
    Chile
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 151

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zhulta View Post
    Can anyone answer this? Are these supposed selknam descendants looking more amerindian/indo mestizo than your average chilean?
    It´s late. But they look like average people and fairly mixed, being myself from magallanes only the two men with the fur cone hats look very fuegid and quite amerindian to me.
    But in general they phenotypically belong in the chilean spectrum, abeit natives in chile are also fairly mixed with europeans, maybe less the ones from the altiplano.

This article goes in deep with that. https://scielo.conicyt.cl/pdf/rmc/v142n3/art01.pdf

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information