Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How is it that most Caribbean nations are actually quite democratic, stable and prosperous?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,779

0 Not allowed!

Default How is it that most Caribbean nations are actually quite democratic, stable and prosperous?

After all, according to the racial determinists, being predominantly Black nations means they are doomed to fail, and would all be just like Haiti itself. In fact, when it comes to democracy and good governance, most Caribbean countries don't fare that badly compared to much of Asia and even Europe, and likewise for general living standards.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...ceptions_Index
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

Last Online
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    63.08% Eurasian, 28.75% SSA, 8.18% Amerind
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Taxonomy
    Pardo
    Hero
    Pedro Santana, Joaquin Balaguer
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,913
    Given: 4,641

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    After all, according to the racial determinists, being predominantly Black nations means they are doomed to fail, and would all be just like Haiti itself. In fact, when it comes to democracy and good governance, most Caribbean countries don't fare that badly compared to much of Asia and even Europe, and likewise for general living standards.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...ceptions_Index
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index
    Perhaps British colonialism hasn't been as bad as Marxists say? I find it ironic and puzzling though that the largest of the Anglo islands, Jamaica, happens to be the worst positioned of the group nonetheless.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Andullero View Post
    Perhaps British colonialism hasn't been as bad as Marxists say? I find it ironic and puzzling though that the largest of the Anglo islands, Jamaica, happens to be the worst positioned of the group nonetheless.
    Jamaica has particular problems with drugs and gangs. Still, even your explanation doesn't tell the full story, since many ex-British colonies in Asia and Africa are rather poorer and more corrupt than the Caribbean countries are. Contrary to what many believe in this forum, I think culture is (1) more important than race and (2) mostly social and learnt, not biological and innate. Therefore, whatever their skin colour and genetics, Anglo-Caribbeans have with some success re-created/maintained British traditions of democracy and (relatively) good governance.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    63.08% Eurasian, 28.75% SSA, 8.18% Amerind
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Taxonomy
    Pardo
    Hero
    Pedro Santana, Joaquin Balaguer
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,913
    Given: 4,641

0 Not allowed!

Still, even your explanation doesn't tell the full story, since many ex-British colonies in Asia and Africa are rather poorer and more corrupt than the Caribbean countries are.
    Yeah, but I wasn't only referring to economics here, but also the mindset, customs and juridical tradition, which is part of culture as well. Notice how Haiti have fared worst than Jamaica and Barbados despite having a similar plantation backdrop. I believe a good chunk of it is that French old regime tradition lent itself to authoritarianism and militarism, and the bloody birth of the republic also didn't help things on that score.

Daven

2 Not allowed!

Because British former colonies always do better.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Andullero View Post
    Yeah, but I wasn't only referring to economics here, but also the mindset, customs and juridical tradition, which is part of culture as well. Notice how Haiti have fared worst than Jamaica and Barbados despite having a similar plantation backdrop. I believe a good chunk of it is that French old regime tradition lent itself to authoritarianism and militarism, and the bloody birth of the republic also didn't help things on that score.
    Well that's my point - not all predominantly Black nations are doomed to become like Haiti. Rather, Haiti's problems are rooted in its very particular politics and history, not its racial make-up. On a general note, I do think that the Anglo-Caribbean countries, more than many other countries, do blast a lot of pieties and pre-conceptions on both the Right and the Left.

Last Online
    03-31-2024 @ 02:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Portuguese (North and Azores) Italian (Veneto) Native and SSA minor
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,745
    Given: 749

2 Not allowed!

Well that's my point - not all predominantly Black nations are doomed to become like Haiti. Rather, Haiti's problems are rooted in its very particular politics and history, not its racial make-up. On a general note, I do think that the Anglo-Caribbean countries, more than many other countries, do blast a lot of pieties and pre-conceptions on both the Right and the Left.
    The problem with Haiti is not because they are black, the problem with Haiti is that Haiti should never have existed. I thought it was an exaggeration on the part of some Dominican members, but it is true, reading more about the history of the island Hispaniola I realized this, the island Hispaniola was just to be a Spanish speaking island, if it were not the dirty finger of the French.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-12-2021 @ 03:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Non White
    Country
    Cameroon
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    U2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

They are not tho. But they have good marijuana and weather that helps relax things.

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Hispaniola was always meant to be entirely Spanish. It was the isla de Santo Domingo starting with the colonization.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RicoSuave View Post
    They are not tho. But they have good marijuana and weather that helps relax things.
    To clarify: I am not saying the Caribbean is on par with Western Europe/Japan/North America by any means. However, when compared to most other parts of the Global South, most of those countries are indeed relatively stable, prosperous and free. Apart from Grenada under Maurice Bishop, most Anglo-Caribbean nations have not had so much as one attempted coup. Even gang-ridden Jamaica doesn't remotely compare to many African, Middle Eastern and Asian countries when it comes to corruption and lack of civil liberties (apart from their obsessive homophobia).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information