Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Spaniards generally think of Latinos?

Last Online
    05-15-2021 @ 03:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Default What do Spaniards generally think of Latinos?

I ask this question because I live in the North East where there's a very large Latino presence, mostly Dominicans. Puerto Ricans use to be the largest group, but they've been eclipsed. There's also a sizable Central American presence and a lot of Columbians in certain pockets.

The thing I find bewildering is that all these people tend to be called "Spanish". For example, if you see a sign saying Spanish food, 9 times out of 10 it will be everything BUT REAL Spanish food. I get it. all these places were former Spanish colonies, but you don't see Jamaicans advertising as "English food". I just find it bizarre and wonder how do ACTUAL Spaniards feel about this? How do you feel about people like Dominicans, Nicaraguans and Mexicans claiming "Spanish" identity? I mean, I'm American and I know I have English ancestry, I even know where they came from. But even though more than 90% of my ancestry is from England and Scotland, I don't consider myself "British", let alone if I had substantial African and Amerindian and god knows whatever else in my background, not to mention being born in an entirely different country with a distinctly different culture. What are your thoughts? Do Spaniards in general feel a sense of kinship with all these nationalities, or just a sense of nostalgia due to colonial times?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-01-2022 @ 12:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance - Native Brazilian - Celtic - North African - Mediterranean - African
    Ethnicity
    Coruscantian
    Country
    Brazil
    Hero
    Dom Pedro II
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,702
    Given: 85

5 Not allowed!

You anglo americans(unitedstateans?) that started to call these people spanish with your low knowleged about the world.

Alexandro

2 Not allowed!

I have absolutely nothing against ""Latinos"" (I prefer the term Hispano, not this foreign term introduced by guiris, but I digress) however, naturally there are nations I feel closer to than others....it is a large region with differing cultures and genetic makeups.

Alexandro

0 Not allowed!

I also don't really care if they want to claim their Spanish heritage or not. I mean, I'd find it honestly laughable and weird if some Bolivian indio or whatever else went around calling himself Spaniard, lol, but people can identify however they want.

Last Online
    05-15-2021 @ 03:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    I also don't really care if they want to claim their Spanish heritage or not. I mean, I'd find it honestly laughable and weird if some Bolivian indio or whatever else went around calling himself Spaniard, lol, but people can identify however they want.
    So which countries do you feel closer to, which farther from and why? Does the genetic composition have anything to do with it? Okay, so, I understand like a Native claiming Spaniard, but what about the mixed people like Mexicans who have a lot of Native and trace amounts of African and Dominicans who have considerable SSA ancestry. Also, exactly what is the difference between Latino and Hispanic. I find these terms are often used interchangeably. I do agree that our American system is confusing AF!

Veteran Member XenophobicPrussian's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-09-2022 @ 08:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Baltic
    Ethnicity
    50% German, 50% Polish
    Ancestry
    Mostly north-east German, Polish, some Anglo-Canadian/English and Lithuanian.
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b, I1 or bust
    mtDNA
    H1, H3, U5 or bust
    Taxonomy
    Oberkasselid(depigmented female Australoid)
    Politics
    NW-Euro Theodor Herzlism
    Hero
    I sexually identify as Jared Taylor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,074
    Given: 1,717

0 Not allowed!

I hate to culturally appropriate and answer as a non-Spaniard, but my educated guess would be Spain is one of the more liberal and left leaning countries in southern Europe, so most or a plurality have a neutral or positive attitude to them. The average normie will just see them as "humans"(cringe). In terms of right-wing Spaniards, safe to say they either dislike or have a negative attitude toward them(known for being criminals in Spain, culturally different, racially foreign, etc), but probably with a soft spot towards Uruguayans, Argentinians, Costa Ricans, and some Cubans, still usually preferring other Southern Europeans or Europeans, in some cases East Asians for Spanish civic nationalists.
    The Guanche skulls as a whole are unlike those of modern European Mediterraneans, and resemble northern European series most closely, especially those in which a brachycephalic element is present, as in Burgundian and Alemanni series.
    divided them into clearly differentiated types, which include a Mediterranean, a Nordic, a "Guanche," and an Alpine. The "Guanche" accounts for 50 per cent of the whole on the four islands of Teneriffe, Gomera, Gran Canaria, and Hierro; the Nordic for 31 per cent, the Mediterranean for 13 per cent, and the Alpine
    oldschool anthropology

Alexandro

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    So which countries do you feel closer to, which farther from and why? Does the genetic composition have anything to do with it? Okay, so, I understand like a Native claiming Spaniard, but what about the mixed people like Mexicans who have a lot of Native and trace amounts of African and Dominicans who have considerable SSA ancestry. Also, exactly what is the difference between Latino and Hispanic. I find these terms are often used interchangeably. I do agree that our American system is confusing AF!
    I personally feel closer to Argentina, Uruguay, and the Caribbean Hispanic countries. Not simply due to genetics (unlike some people on this forum, biological race is not everything to me), but most importantly culture. Uruguayans and Argentines have a culture that strongly resembles the European "Latin" cultural tradition I come from, and the Caribeńos are culturally quite similar to Canarians (and I happen to be half Canarian).

Hmm, about the terms Hispano and Latino, tio....it would take me all day to explain it to you, but I will give you a somewhat brief summary. Hispano is anyone who hails from a nation which can trace at least part of their cultural legacy to Spain, keep in mind that it is not a term relating to genetics but simply linguistics and shared culture/history. Now, this term "Latino" is a result of cultural imperialism on part of the French and Anglos, it was part of a long term strategy to insert themselves into their socio economic affairs and exert soft power over the region. It is not native to Hispanoamericanos, it has been imposed on them, with the intended aim of making them forget their history and deracinating them. "Latino" is a term that comes in handy for guiris to mark a border between themselves and the rest who are not like them. This can be proven further by the fact that those in the Francophone sphere, for example, will never refer to themselves by this term, even though they are technically "Latino" given the fact they speak a Latin derived language, go ask a Quebecois person if they identify as Latino....Also, if you want to include Brazil (since they are not Hispanos, but Lusos) the term Ibero-American can be utilized as they were colonized/settled by an Iberian nation, Portugal.

Furthermore, not even us, the Spaniards are Latin, somos Hispanos. Perhaps, at some point in history, the Iberian peninsula, when it was Hispania, could have been considered some kind of "Latin", since Vulgar Latin was the spoken language, indeed. However, it has been centuries since Latin has been spoken, we speak Castellano and various other languages, not Latin. Is our language related to Latin? Yes, clearly....but this is not the same as being "Latin". There are legal systems which can be traced to Romans, but these more closely derive from Fuero Juzgo and etc, etc, etc, etc.

However, if being Latino is what they feel as, vale, no hay nada que objetar ....these are just my personal thoughts and beliefs. I will not go around telling other people what to identify as, because I am not Hispanoamericano but European.

Alexandro

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    Also, if you are asking me personally, I only consider people with two ethnically Spanish parents to be Spaniard, otherwise you are just of Spanish ancestry/descent....which is different. However, again, people have the right to identify however they want.
    Last edited by Alexandro; 04-26-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,689
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    people have the right to identify however they want.
    No, they dont. A Colombian, Peruvian, etc, does not have any right to identify as Spaniard. That would have the same logic than identifiying as an eagle, or as the sun, a total nonsense. Imagine a Mexican identifiying as your father. Would he have the right to?

Alexandro

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    No, they dont. A Colombian, Peruvian, etc, does not have any right to identify as Spaniard. That would have the same logic than identifiying as an eagle, or as the sun, a total nonsense. Imagine a Mexican identifiying as your father. Would he have the right to?
    I just don't really care, people could identify as a fuckin' Lockheed Martin F-35 for all I care, lol, doesn't affect me.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information