Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Spaniards generally think of Latinos?

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    I just don't really care, people could identify as a fuckin' Lockheed Martin F-35 for all I care, lol, doesn't affect me.
    Then what is the sense you yourself identifiying as Spaniard, if it is a thing everyone could do?

Alexandro

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    Then what is the sense you yourself identifiying as Spaniard, if it is a thing everyone could do?
    Well, earlier I did say that I personally only consider someone a Spaniard if both their parents are ethnically Spanish, but if people do not fulfill that and want to consider themselves Spanish they can do it, just like I can go around telling people I am a Lockheed Martin F-35....I just personally won't see them as a Spaniard.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    I just personally won't see them as a Spaniard.
    That is exactly what the OP is asking, if Spaniards think Latinos (or others) are wrong claiming they are Spaniards. And well, you already answered... you do care after all

Alexandro

1 Not allowed!

That is exactly what the OP is asking, if Spaniards think Latinos (or others) are wrong claiming they are Spaniards. And well, you already answered... you do care after all
    If you're asking me about it, yes sure. I don't spend my days thinking about this sort of thing though.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2021 @ 04:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 685
    Given: 443

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    I ask this question because I live in the North East where there's a very large Latino presence, mostly Dominicans. Puerto Ricans use to be the largest group, but they've been eclipsed. There's also a sizable Central American presence and a lot of Columbians in certain pockets.

The thing I find bewildering is that all these people tend to be called "Spanish". For example, if you see a sign saying Spanish food, 9 times out of 10 it will be everything BUT REAL Spanish food. I get it. all these places were former Spanish colonies, but you don't see Jamaicans advertising as "English food". I just find it bizarre and wonder how do ACTUAL Spaniards feel about this? How do you feel about people like Dominicans, Nicaraguans and Mexicans claiming "Spanish" identity? I mean, I'm American and I know I have English ancestry, I even know where they came from. But even though more than 90% of my ancestry is from England and Scotland, I don't consider myself "British", let alone if I had substantial African and Amerindian and god knows whatever else in my background, not to mention being born in an entirely different country with a distinctly different culture. What are your thoughts? Do Spaniards in general feel a sense of kinship with all these nationalities, or just a sense of nostalgia due to colonial times?

Yes, well, the Latinos, from the Latium, a little region nearby Rome, had to be a strong people, they were indeed, since they spread their language, the Latin, through a good part of what today is Europe, surging the Spanish, the French, the Portuguese, the Romanian and other minor languages.

Their language, the Latin, was indeed the lingua franca in those ancient times, from India to Britannia. As said, I think really good about the Latinos.

Lozano

2 Not allowed!

What's the matter with these anglo retards saying "colUmbians"?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-16-2023 @ 04:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    /
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,123
    Given: 547

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I'm from the northeast and feel the need to autistically correct people whenever people refer to me as Spanish

Last Online
    05-15-2021 @ 03:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

So let me ask you then. To what degree do you feel any kinship with Latin Americans. Do you perceive them as being your brothers at all? Do you feel a stronger sense of kinship with certain groups over others? Why or why not?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Garcia View Post
    Yes, well, the Latinos, from the Latium, a little region nearby Rome, had to be a strong people, they were indeed, since they spread their language, the Latin, through a good part of what today is Europe, surging the Spanish, the French, the Portuguese, the Romanian and other minor languages.

Their language, the Latin, was indeed the lingua franca in those ancient times, from India to Britannia. As said, I think really good about the Latinos.
    Not sure what to make of this as I was referring to the peoples living in the Spanish speaking countries of the Americas......

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Yeah, I'm from the northeast and feel the need to autistically correct people whenever people refer to me as Spanish

So what is your actual nationality/ethnicity and how do you perceive yourself in relation to Spain/Spaniards and conversely, in your experience, how do they relate to you?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information