Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Spaniards generally think of Latinos?

Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 28

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    I ask this question because I live in the North East where there's a very large Latino presence, mostly Dominicans. Puerto Ricans use to be the largest group, but they've been eclipsed. There's also a sizable Central American presence and a lot of Columbians in certain pockets.

The thing I find bewildering is that all these people tend to be called "Spanish". For example, if you see a sign saying Spanish food, 9 times out of 10 it will be everything BUT REAL Spanish food. I get it. all these places were former Spanish colonies, but you don't see Jamaicans advertising as "English food". I just find it bizarre and wonder how do ACTUAL Spaniards feel about this? How do you feel about people like Dominicans, Nicaraguans and Mexicans claiming "Spanish" identity? I mean, I'm American and I know I have English ancestry, I even know where they came from. But even though more than 90% of my ancestry is from England and Scotland, I don't consider myself "British", let alone if I had substantial African and Amerindian and god knows whatever else in my background, not to mention being born in an entirely different country with a distinctly different culture. What are your thoughts? Do Spaniards in general feel a sense of kinship with all these nationalities, or just a sense of nostalgia due to colonial times?
    It's fucking annoying that they associate African or Native American cultures with Spain. For example maracas. Nobody in Spain has seen a maracas in his life, much less played. Maracas are an instrument of indigenous origin.

However, there are assholes who draw maracas to represent Spain. but the worst thing is that there are assholes who believe all the myths about Spain

Without knowing the least, they don't care about learning, they say they like the culture of Spain, but they have no fucking idea. I guess because what they like is the pseudo-exotic idealization, full of Arab, indigenous, and African cultures.

but this can be mainly a problem for some foreigner in Spain, who makes a fool of himself, taking into account the amount of topics and hoaxes. No Spaniard is going to show his anger, but maybe he thinks: (you are really an ignorant idiot, go fuck yourself).

Another case is that of videos on youtube in which they use stock music with the title "spanish", then they show castles with a Caribbean music in the background. They may seek acceptance from Spaniards but the result is totally absurd, especially when you show historical architecture, it is like using blues music in England.

people have no fucking idea that the traditional instrument in Madrid is the barrel organ. From Catalonia it is the Gralla (a kind of flute), from Aragon it is the dulzaina (from the oboe family), from the Basque country it is La trikitixa (a small accordion), or from the northwest bagpipes.

All ignorance is summed up in guitar, maracas, and even African hand-played drums. Really sad. although sometimes it makes us laugh.

Last Online
    05-15-2021 @ 03:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gredos View Post
    It's fucking annoying that they associate African or Native American cultures with Spain. For example maracas. Nobody in Spain has seen a maracas in his life, much less played. Maracas are an instrument of indigenous origin.

However, there are assholes who draw maracas to represent Spain. but the worst thing is that there are assholes who believe all the myths about Spain

Without knowing the least, they don't care about learning, they say they like the culture of Spain, but they have no fucking idea. I guess because what they like is the pseudo-exotic idealization, full of Arab, indigenous, and African cultures.

but this can be mainly a problem for some foreigner in Spain, who makes a fool of himself, taking into account the amount of topics and hoaxes. No Spaniard is going to show his anger, but maybe he thinks: (you are really an ignorant idiot, go fuck yourself).

Another case is that of videos on youtube in which they use stock music with the title "spanish", then they show castles with a Caribbean music in the background. They may seek acceptance from Spaniards but the result is totally absurd, especially when you show historical architecture, it is like using blues music in England.

people have no fucking idea that the traditional instrument in Madrid is the barrel organ. From Catalonia it is the Gralla (a kind of flute), from Aragon it is the dulzaina (from the oboe family), from the Basque country it is La trikitixa (a small accordion), or from the northwest bagpipes.

All ignorance is summed up in guitar, maracas, and even African hand-played drums. Really sad. although sometimes it makes us laugh.
    Well I can understand how that would annoy you, but my question is really dealing with how you asa Spaniard regard people of the Latin American countries. For example, do you feel any kinship with a person from The Dominican Republic, Mexico or Nicaragua who claims to be Spaniard?

Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

Well I can understand how that would annoy you, but my question is really dealing with how you asa Spaniard regard people of the Latin American countries. For example, do you feel any kinship with a person from The Dominican Republic, Mexico or Nicaragua who claims to be Spaniard?
    no

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

So let me ask you then. To what degree do you feel any kinship with Latin Americans. Do you perceive them as being your brothers at all? Do you feel a stronger sense of kinship with certain groups over others? Why or why not?
    My brothers? are you on drugs? do you consider American blacks your brothers?

I have zero conexion with Latinos. 99,99% of Spaniards dont have any conexion with them. Why we should?

Last Online
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,496
    Given: 36,934

1 Not allowed!

Recuerdo que vi turistas en Palma de Mallorca llevando sombreros Mexicanos como souvenir. No estoy seguro de quien los vendia, pero que ridiculez
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2024 @ 09:55 PM
    The Americas -> North America -> Hispanic America -> Mexico -> Western Mexico
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanoamericano Virreinal (1000% mexican! Born, raised and living in Mexico)
    Ethnicity
    60.73-65.1% European/MENA, 33-35.81% Indigenous American and 2-3.45% SSA
    Ancestry
    Spain, Mesoamerica, Western and Central Africa
    Country
    Mexico
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1b -> L19 -> M81 -> M183 -> PF2477 -> PF2546
    mtDNA
    Unknown
    Taxonomy
    Castizo: Alpinized Gracile Med and slightly Baskid + Minor Margid
    Politics
    Meritocracy, "Git Gud" and Ius Soli
    Hero
    Cristóbal de Oñate, Reina Isabel la Católica, Tzilacatzin, Porfirio Díaz and Dr. Iosif Lazaridis
    Religion
    Agnosticism (Culturally Roman Catholicism)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,503
    Given: 10,131

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    Recuerdo que vi turistas en Palma de Mallorca llevando sombreros Mexicanos como souvenir. No estoy seguro de quien los vendia, pero que ridiculez
    Los sombreros mexicanos no son chidos? :,(

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloGuys View Post
    Los sombreros mexicanos no son chidos? :,(
    Oh no, no me malinterpretes. Yo no tengo nada contra la cultura Mexicana. La encuentro hasta cool. Sobre todo la cultura de los Mariachis, y tambien la musica regional nortena, y todo eso. Tambien siempre me han encantado la banda grupera de Michoacan Los Bukis, por ejemplo

Yo lo decia por la ignorancia de esos turistas, y la gente que promueve esa ignorancia vendiendo sombreros Mexicanos en Espana, cuando no tienen nada que ver con Espana.
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Big Time Hustler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanoamericano
    Ethnicity
    Mexican National
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Estado de Durango
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,180
    Given: 8,859

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    Pues segun los historiadores el sombrero charro es casi, casi Español.

A través del tiempo se han atesorado diversos textos, que acreditan el comienzo y evolución de este llamativo objeto, que más allá de resguardar del Sol, te invita resaltar la mexicanidad. Muchos autores coinciden en que el sombrero charro tiene su origen en atuendos análogos llegados de España en las primeras etapas de colonización, proveniente del jinete de Salamanca, en la comunidad española de Castilla.
    https://www.academia.edu/36606968/SOMBRERO_CHARRO

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravado View Post

Claro que proviene de España, como todo en Hispanoamérica. Charro es el apelativo que se le da a la gente de Salamanca, así que imagínate si el origen viene de allí

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravado View Post

Si, no me sorprende que detras de la historia del sombrero Charro hubiese un origen en Espana. No sabia ese detalle de la historia del sombrero charro, pero algo asi intuia.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information